swim diapers (no, its not another "no swim diapers allowed" in the pool discussion)

kevinsmom

hi there

i am going on the Dawn in a couple of weeks and i have a question regarding swim diapers. i have been there done that on the topic of non-potty trained kids in the pool and i am not even going to go there ;) what i actually was wondering from mommies/daddies that have gone cruising w/toddlers. how many swim diapers did you pack? my son is 16 mo old and i never even put one on him before. i bought one pack of 10 so far. i plan to use them in port at the beaches and possibly one hotel (if we go). how many do you normally go through? we will be in port 4 days and i plan to mostly go to the beaches.

thanks,

gina

I think 10 would be plenty, if you want to throw in 2 more that would be okay. I rarely had to use more than one at a time when swimming with my toddler children. I don't know how long you think you will be a the beach, but regular diapers work okay at the beach as well. It is only when a child is in the water and they get so heavy. Playing in the sand a real diaper should be fine.

I always liked the non-disposable type better. They sell them at Target and through the RightStart catalog (if that's still around -- my two are well past diapers now). I liked them because they fit and looked better. If you can predict what time of day your child will poop (so that you can avoid using the swim diaper at that time), they're great.

Also, here's a hint about the Little Swimmers disposable type diapers -- something I learned by accident: You can throw them in the washing machine (but not the dryer), and they can be used 2-3 times! This may not be valuable information for the cruise, but it might be helpful at home.

But they bulges out like a regular diaper (just like a PullUp) once the babies pee in it, so what's the point of washing it?

Anyways, I would say for a 7-day cruise, a pack of 10 swimmers diapers would do because there is very unlikely that you will be able to take the baby swimming everyday if you are on a ship. But if you are uncertain how many times you'll go swimming in a day, bring 14 Swimming diapers--that's more than enough.

Make sure your baby will put on the swimmer diapers first at home. I took my 22M old DD on a vacation at Whistler 2 years ago (I even bought a maternity swimming suit thinking I'll need to go into the pool with her). She screamed when I tried to put the swimmer diaper on her! Big struggle followed and we never made it to the pool because she fell asleep after crying so hard. I tried putting the swimmer diaper on her the next day. Same thing, so we never went swimming until she was potty-trained.

At our YMCA, My 20M DS was OK in swimming diapers, but he would poop before we get to the pool, so I've learned to put him in PullUps first then change him into swimmer diapers right at the pool.

The trick to Little Swimmers diapers and Pull Ups is to just rip the two side seams open when you are changing the baby. Also PullUps are good to have after swimming because it will be difficult to put the baby back in regular diapers without a good place to lie him/her down (unless you have learned to put a diaper on with the baby standing up, like I have).

If you are going to very hot ports of call where the sun shines bright, I would suggest that besides sunscreen, buy Hanes short-sleeved t-shirt/underwear. My 20M DS wore 2T-3T size while in a hotel pool in Puerto Vallarta. In 90F+ temperature, wet t-shirt has a cooling effect also. That way, the kids don't get burned as quickly and you won't have to re-apply sunscreens all the time. There is really no need for a toddler to go bare-chested at this age.

I would suggest the same for adults too. It's not too eye-catching, but my shoulders don't get burn as quickly if I forget to re-apply sunscreen.

HTH.

Jennifer

thanks so much!! i am going to pack about 14 just in case. i am sure that will be fine. the idea about the t shirts is a good one. i didn't really give that any thought, i of course wouldn't leave him bare chested but i didn't even consider what i was gonna put on him, i guess a reg t shirt, but i will invest in a pack of undershirts! thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the DAwn recently and one thing that I think you really need are those swim shoes that you can wear in the water. There were spots here and there around the kids pool area that got extremely hot. There are water slides that the kids go on and they get in and out of the pool. I saw a few kids end up screaming from hitting a hot spot. Just a word of warning for you.

We were on the DAwn recently and one thing that I think you really need are those swim shoes that you can wear in the water. There were spots here and there around the kids pool area that got extremely hot. There are water slides that the kids go on and they get in and out of the pool. I saw a few kids end up screaming from hitting a hot spot. Just a word of warning for you.

i actually did buy the aqua socks for him already. he won't be able to use the pool on the ship b/c he is obviously not potty trained (16 mos) but i figured it would be good at the beaches b/c of the hot sand and possible sharp shells and such. hopefully he keeps them on :)

i have heard the same thing as far as the spf of tshirts, so yes, i will be sure to put on the sunscreen! luckily my son has my husbands dark complexion, he is already darker than me :) but i am paranoid about the sun dangers, so we have a ton of sunscreen, hats, etc.. the only thing is he will not keep on sunglasses so i have to forgo that!

I wouldn't worry about not taking him in the pool - no one else was. There were some little girls in the pool that could barely sit up on their own. I'm sure they are not potty trained. I don't know what the big deal is even Lenny Krazelhoff(the olympic swimmer) admits to peeing in the pool now and then!!

crystalloubear,

By all means, let your UN-potty trained child in the KIDDIE pool. Maybe other parents of potty-trained kids won't mind them swimming in a small pool with other kids' urine in it. Or maybe, even those special swimmie diapers will keep in the "poop" and not let it seep out. Maybe and that's ok if all the other parents, then just ignore the signs that say to keep your UN-potty trained child out of the pool.

But, PLEASE, PLEASE keep those kids out of the adult & teen pool!!! :eek: It is a health hazard, as you must know. And I don''t think anyone would approve of an adult that is incontinent in a adult diaper to be allowed in the adult pool.

With all the health hazards around these days, we must be as careful as we can not to spread germs around the infect other people or make someone else sick.

In a private pool, that's different. If you have a pool and want to allow not-pottie trained kids in, that's ok. But, please not in a public pool!!

Thanks for you observations. Although, I did not say I took my unpotty trained child in the pool. My child is potty trained. What I was pointing out was that no one was following the rules as far as swim diapers in the pool. The rest of the statement was purely sarcastic. If anyone thinks it is ok for a child or adult to pee in the pool that is just gross.

Why don't parents follow the rules posted? If the sign says, "Kids must be potty trained" why would you use the pool if your kids are not? I don't get it:confused: If the parents aren't going to follow the rules, how can we expect children, teenagers, young adults to follow the rules. Kids learn by example. I'm just saying:rolleyes:

cryatalloubear,

Thanks for clearing that up! :rolleyes: I thought you meant that you approved of non-potty trained kids in the pool. I can't imagine anyone that would think that is ok. I mean, just think of all the germs and unhealthy organisms in a small pool going from child to child. EEK!!!!:eek:

Anyone that is in a diaper (adult or child) should be kept out of a public pool.

Just safer and healthier that way.........

I heard that the pools are not chlorinated. Is this true?

If so, then I would be more worried about the 30 or so other people in the pool with me NOT wearing diapers...how do you know they aren't peeing in the pool or don't have some fungus growing on their body???

In general, an unchlorinated pool is just so unsanitary (whether they change the water every night or not).

Just make sure to shower right away after using the pool!!!!

This whole thread kind of makes me sick. :p Children who are not completely potty trained should follow the rules, of course, children who are not potty trained can't read or understand the rules, therefore, the parents of any non potty trained children who violate the rules should be left in the next port of call. JMHO. :D

jc

Just had to throw this one in - how many of you know completely potty trained 5-7 year olds that are having SO much fun in the pool that they don't want to take the time to go to the bathroom so they pee in the pool. It happens SO much more than you might think.:rolleyes: Also, how many parents work super hard to potty train their children before they go on vacation (so the children may not be COMPLETELY trained) and take off the diapers and let them swim. Have any of you been to sleepovers as children and had someone put your hand in warm water...:p

I have a four-year-old and a 15-month-old who will be cruising next January. I'm not concerned about the pools. Our four-year-old will use them, our baby will splash around at the beaches. When they come into contact with germs, I don't flip out. Hey, look at it this way, they are building up immunities!:p Just give them baths when done swimming and relax!!! It's vacation after all!

Sorry, forgot to respond about the number - my original plan but got caught up in the discussion. I would guess that a baby would be in the pool/beach once per day - plan on 2 swim diapers per day, so for a seven day, maybe 14 (that is leaving a little extra because you typically wouldn't swim on embarkation or debarkation day or maybe not even every day. However, aren't there 10 in a pack? Just bring two packs and be prepared.

One thing to consider when deciding on the number of swim diapers to take along is how often you will be changing them. As soon as my daughter gets out of the water I remove the wet swim diaper and put on a dry one. I noticed my little one gets a rash a little more quickly with these diapers so I like to keep her nice and dry.

Don't forget to use the "tear off" option on the side of the diaper. It makes changing so easy.

On a side note and in keeping with the *spirit* of this thread, we recently returned from a vacation on the Algarve Coast in Portugal. Our daughter was the ONLY one wearing a swim diaper in the pools. Heck, she was one of the only children wearing a swimsuit! :)

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the reminder Walt. I think that needs to be done more often. Many times people forget their manners while on these boards. :D

I wouldn't pack more than 10 or so. Those things take up a lot of space and you probably won't be swimming as much as you think you will. We used to use them, but our kids are older now. I liked them and highly recommend them. Enjoy your cruise!:)

hi,

thanks for all of your input. i wound up bringing like 15 swim diapers and only using 4. my son only went into the pool at the resort in cape canavaral and then in the ocean on the private island. i think i changed him once in each spot. i obviously didn't put him in the pools on board the ship but my reason is not b/c i was worried about him making everyone else sick...quite the opposite, i would not put my son in an un-chlorinated pool. one bout of the rotor-virus was plenty for this mommy!! he contracted that from a mommy and me swim class

gina

?? What is roto-virus??? I thought the pools were chlorinated, at least on Princess I believe they are, chlorinated and fresh water!!

:)

its a very nasty stomach virus, that usually infects children. vomiting, diahrrea...you get the idea. my son caught it from a chlorinated public indoor pool that taught swimming. you never know if they are properly cleaning the pools or sometimes, i guess it is time and place. the place i went seemed clean but who knows....needless to say, we stopped going after that :) on the cruise lines that i have been on the pools were filled on a daily basis w/sea water. i don't know about the kiddie pools. on the dawn this past week, all of the kids were in the "adult" pool anyway.

gina

Archived