Dry dock questions?

JAMESCC

I'm curious as I read a lot of posts on ships going into dry dock. How often do ships go into dry dock? How long are they usually in dry dock and for what? Is it usually major repairs or minor? Take the new Crown Princess when will she need to go into dry dock being a brand new ship? Just curious questions thanks.

Princess usually puts their ships into drydock when they either have a major mechanical problem or are getting a total overhaul (the last one doesn't happen too often). They do a lot of upkeep and maintenance while the ships are sailing.

It will be years before the Crown might go into drydock unless the ship developes a major problem of some type.

Princess usually puts their ships into drydock when they either have a major mechanical problem or are getting a total overhaul (the last one doesn't happen too often). They do a lot of upkeep and maintenance while the ships are sailing.

It will be years before the Crown might go into drydock unless the ship developes a major problem of some type.

Is it any different with other cruise lines?

Most ships go into drydock every 2-1/2 years or so.
Interesting thanks. Thats a pretty short amount of time. I guess they really want to make shure there multi million dollar machines stay in good working order.

Most ships go into drydock every 2-1/2 years or so.
This is correct. There is a scheduled drydock (usually for two weeks) every 2 - 2 1/2 years for each ship. Thousands of people every week or two create a lot of wear and tear on the inside of a ship but more importantly, constant docking and engine running also creates wear and tear. There is constant maintenance going on with rug replacement, deck painting, etc. and if needed, a wet dock scheduled. The difference with a dry dock is that they're able to clean and repaint the bottom of the ship and do maintenance to the propellers and mechanics that they can't do while the ship is in the water. If you've owned or know someone who owns a boat, you know that you need to do constant maintenance to the underside of the boat. Same thing for a cruise ship. When everything is scraped and repainted, it goes better in the water more efficiently.

Most cruiselines have a regular schedule for ship maintenance. I believe Celebrity has had a number of unscheduled dry docks over the past several years due to problems with the Mermaid pod wear and tear.

Both the Grand and the Golden will be going into a refurb dry dry dock before they make their Transatlantic runs this fall. They will do in one of the docks around Genoa where many of the cruise ships are built.

There was a post a few weeks ago (try searching the boards for "dry dock") looking for a list of when ships are scheduled for dry dock. Some cruise lines make that info somewhere on their web site but Princess doesn't as far as I have been able to find.

We were on the Maasdam a couple of years ago after it had been taken out of service for a week and they installed the new features including the great new bedding on it.

Have a great next cruise.

We will be on The Grand in Nov right after the dry dock. I cant wait to see what it looks like. We were on it last Feb and I thought it looked beautiful except for some slightly worn staircase carpet and walkway areas....

Archived