Airline Upgrade to Tahiti?

LMO

I just read a posting that basically said "coach" class on Tahiti Nui is a nightmare.

Can anyone else tell me if it is worth the upgrade to business class. Unfortunately, for us it would cost us another $4400 to upgrade.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Lynn:confused:

I wouldn't say it was a nightmare in coach, but it's not real comfortable either. The easiest way to take coach is with lots of ambien sleeping pills ;) .

If you are at the airport early enough to be first in line, you can upgrade at the counter for $600 to business one-way (this was at LAX), and also do it return, but being first in line can be tricky.

Business class is great though - nice recline (but don't get the seats in the last row of B.C. - they don't fully recline), great food, nice seat TVs.

Service in all classes is great plus free booze.

I understand that Sue (flyerdreamer) had a terrible experience with coach on Air Tahiti Nui. Unfortunately I think she was discriminated against because she was flying with her 2 teenagers. Therefore, Air Tahiti Nui would not move them to window and aisle seats with the third person in aisle seat in front or behind the other two. They save those pairs of seats for couples. (The plane's configuration in coach is 2 - 5 - 2.)

We flew coach in both 2004 and 2005. (We had to draw the line somewhere in how much we spent on those fabulous vacations.) We are a couple and were able to get seats A & C which are the set of 2 on the port side of the aircraft. The food was better in 2004 but still decent enough in 2005. The line for immigration at Papeete is terrible and is something that simply must be endured. Yes, being in the front of the aircraft will put you in a much more favorable place in that long line. The cabin staff were all cordial on all of our flights but we don't fly all that much and don't have a lot to compare with. Sue has lots of flight experience.

The only time we flew first class was on a free frequent flier ticket and it was great. We usually fly coach.

However, if we upgraded to business for Tahiti, it is a lot of money and I agree, you have to draw the line somewhere!!

Thank you for your comments. It helps a lot.

Lynn

Just a side note, Flyerdreamer is a commercial pilot. On a plane, she is either in the “driver seat” or business/first, maybe her view for the “normal” passenger is a little off:p .

I travel to oversea often for my company in coach (company policy). I can tell you that ATN coach is better than United (not E+), Luthansa, Virgin; Eva and Cathay. But Singapore still the best coach:D . ATN has individual controllable monitor & the food is eatable even in coach (just ask for more French bread, then you will be ok). It is only a 8hrs flight from LAX, 2hr more than going to Hawaii. I would save my money and spending it on a OWB or extra pearls:eek:.

they were offered at check in - Business class one way for an additional $700 each - which was a lot less then the 'published' fare. They didn't take it...

Also be aware - they were pre-booked into window/aisle - and at check in were given middle seats. It wasn't until boarding that the seats they wanted were given to them.

If you are at the airport early enough to be first in line, you can upgrade at the counter for $600 to business one-way (this was at LAX

Not true! (necessarily, that is). There is a caveat to what Phil and others have so kindly shared--if you are flying in high season and/or the plane is full, not only will you not get business, you won't even be able to improve your coach seating from the "block" seats Regent contracts from TN.

Using advice gleaned from these boards, we took an early flight from home JUST to be first in line at LAX, and couldn't get business or do much with improving our seats.

Just a side note, Flyerdreamer is a commercial pilot. On a plane, she is either in the “driver seat” or business/first, maybe her view for the “normal” passenger is a little off:p .[quote]

LOL. But I'm a passenger, too, a mom, a real human being, lol, and have traveled far and wide as a passenger on many different airlines, coach more often than bus or first for sure. Case in point, last summer we flew coach in Virgin Air to London and it was an infinitely better experience from the service to the seating.

Also, when I say TN is among the worst I have experienced I'm not just saying it subjectively. The legroom was VERY tight. I am 5'5" and my knees were touching the seat in front of me! That is a fact, and has nothing to do with me flying as one of my two jobs. And the seats don't recline quite as far as those on other airlines I've flown. Look, coach is never that great, we all know that, but an inch there or an inch here makes a huge difference. Some of the airlines do pack 'em in like sardines, Air France and TN are notorious for this. But like someone said, try to upgrade at the airport and if you can't, have some drugs waiting to "take you away..."

I wouldn't spend 4400 dollars to upgrade either. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

I'm just posting because everything was just so positive all the time about TN and how you can upgrade, etc, and I wanted to share that was not our experience. That's what's so fabulous about these boards: KNOWLEDGE.

We flew coach in both 2004 and 2005. (We had to draw the line somewhere in how much we spent on those fabulous vacations.)

And the PG IS fabulous, isn't it, KathyZ? My gosh. Whatever small things happened on our travels there and back to take away from that, they didn't dilute our feelings for this ship. We still talk about how fantastic a time we had. I need to get some of the pix printed out to put around the house to gaze at longingly. Whoever said polynesia gets in your blood was right.

We booked our own air using Delta points and through their partner airline AirFrance. We start our journey from a small town on the east coast, so we always have extra connections through hubs when flying. We planned ahead and had enough points to book business class.

Based upon my experience, you are better off letting Regent handle your flights. Air France has changed schedules, and flies in and out only once weekly, around the cruise. Our 7 day cruise vacation has grown to an 11 day vacation (not including flight time) with 4 more nights in hotels, and extra costs to fly to Bora Bora and Moorea. ( I don't see any sense in staying in Papeete). Unless you have lots of points piled up to use for flights and hotels, or lots of money, let Regent handle it, hunker down for a lousy flight, and take the Ambien!

LBLBSC: We are flying AF on Sept 9......I just checked the AF website and it shows that they are still flying 3 times weekly....at least in Sept and Oct.

I agree with posts that say ATN is the worst.....we won't fly ATN after our 2 terrible roundtrip flights. AF is pretty compressed but the food is decent, the wines and liquers are wonderful, and the flight attendants know what they are doing.

Funny how our experiences are so different. I usually fly coach, although I admit our business class Lufthansa to Europe this summer was wonderful. I've found ATN to be one of the better airlines in terms of comfort. Flying 8-hours over the ocean is never fun, but I have definitely had worse experiences than ATN.

Funny how our experiences are so different..

Yep! That's EXACTLY why I posted about the flights and the short time in the day room. It's great to have more opinions; it better balances one's expectations.

PS--Wendy, was your flight full last May? I seem to remember you or maybe someone else posting about stretching out in a whole row to themselves. That would definitely alter the experience! I know this is more common during the off season and would be so much better than a completely packed flight.

I admit our business class Lufthansa to Europe this summer was wonderful.

This is great to hear (although I don't know how closely how tastes match now! LOL) because we're likely going to Barcelona this next summer for a cruise and after the TN misadventure, we just can't stomach another long flight in coach. Since I can't use my airline perks (summer=high season=forget it!) I'm going to try to use mileage points I accrued to buy bus. class tix. Since most of the terrorism incidents seemed aimed at British and US airlines to Europe, I thought Luftansa seemed a good choice. But...when the time comes, I'll investigate on that other board.

Hmm, yes, I think our flight to Tahiti was pretty full, I can't remember the return flight, but I think it was full too. But I do remember that our flight over in April, 2003 was not full, and that was definitely more pleasant.

The only downside to Lufthansa for us was that flying from Toronto, we had to fly through Frankfurt. This is not exactly the most pleasant airport in the world. But others over on "the other board" will agree that Lufthansa is a good choice, and a really good business class. My only other fairly recent experience was KLM, which was also good.

Regarding the December flights on AirFrance to PPT- AF flies different days. The PG Dec 13th cruise is from Wed-Wed...so....the only option is to fly in on sunday the 10th and fly out on friday the 22nd. AF must be on a "holiday" flying schedule. I double checked. Thank you.

sorry flyerdreamer about your experience on tn. i have flown them many times in coach and business and have found them to be quite good. yes their coach seats are a bit cramped, but oh well. i think hope your bad experience was an isolated one as they have won many awards from reputable sources such as skytrax.

One of the best flights we took - we went roundtrip from NYC to PPT in May - 13 hrs one way. Excellent service, food acceptable (better than most coach food), French wine flows freely. (Take a look at Skytrax at www.airlinequality.com - reviews from people that travel a lot.) Flight Attendants professional and courteous. Would fly again in a hearbeat.

Archived