Vaccinations for Panama Canal ?

gonecruising

Hi all:

We are taking a trip through the Panama Canal from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles. I never heard of anyone needing shots for a trip like this, but our traveling companions asked me to post this inquiry. Panama, Costa Rica? Need innoculations or no?

Hi all:

We are taking a trip through the Panama Canal from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles. I never heard of anyone needing shots for a trip like this, but our traveling companions asked me to post this inquiry. Panama, Costa Rica? Need innoculations or no?

No. No shots required.

I will back up Claud and say that you do not need shots. I have done a partial transit through the canal and also full transit from FLL to S.F. and no shots required. Have a great cruise because the canal is one of wonders of the world.

Marilyn

Hep A and B are both an excellent idea whenever you travel outside the US. I got mine about three years ago before a cruise that included Vietnam and India and never regretted it. It's also a good idea to get a booster tetanus shot if yours is more than 10 years old

I think shots are important if you are spending prolonged periods in a foreign country. I know that my DD is spending a semester in Mexico and she needed hepatitis A as well as typhoid shots AND Malaria medication along with anti-diarrhea meds. But for just a few hours in each place, shots aren't necessary and although some may think it's a risk NOT to get them, you also have to weigh the risks of the vaccinations themselves when they aren't really necessary...why stick the 'poison' in you if it really isn't warranted??

I did your cruise last year and doing it again this year from San Fran to Ft.Lauderdale with no shots. However, I suggest taking along a good mosquito repellent, ie Deep Woods in a pump bottle if aerosals are still banned in the planes. The PC can be very hot and humid, always a breeding ground. We leave in 38 days. Have a great time.

We sailed Galaxy to PC last year and didn't need shots. We didn't have repellent on our Pontoon Jungle Boat excursion in Costa Rica and didn't need it because the mosquitos don't come out until dusk and we were there in early afternoon. It was my favorite stop of all. There was rain forest on both sides of the river and we saw sloths, lots of birds, butterflies and some long-nosed bats in a line snoozing on a palm tree, just waiting for those mosquitos. On the bus back to the ship we stopped to see and hear howler monkeys in the trees overhead. The shopping stop also had a bar with entertainment and was surrounded by beautiful gardens.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Hi. Last spring we traveled on Holland America from Tampa to San Diego stopping in Columbia and Panama. We were told months ahead of time that we needed yellow fever shots. This was a written notice. I check the web site cdc.com and confimed this. When we boarded this was cancelled and no one needed them after we all got the shots. We are all set for 10 years now. This was our 5th trip thru the canel and we never needed the shots before. In this day and age of changes I would keep checking the cdc sit. Enjoy the transit

Archived