Any Tables for Two in Dining Room?

SC_Sam

DW and I are frequent Princess cruisers. We always do Personal Choice Dining.

The only Royal Caribbean cruise we've done was on Sovereign this past January, with a group of 12 family members. We were all seated together at dinner so it worked out great.

DW and I are considering a cruise on one of Royal Caribbean's new ships, but the sticking point is having to sit with others at dinner.

Are there tables for only two in the dining room? If so, how do we get one?

(Don't bother extolling the virtues of meeting new and interesting people. We're both on the shy side and enjoy our privacy. We're not interested in sitting with others for a week of dinners.)

Thanks for the guidance.

Yes there are, and we prefer them too! :)

Unfortunately, the demand usually exceeds the supply. You can request one, either through your TA or your RCI rep. When you check in, you can go straight to the dining room and check out your table -- if it's not what you had hoped for, you can check with the Maitre D' for any possible changes.

Good luck!

My DH and I just got back from NOS. We requested a table for two thru our travel agent. We originally had a table for six but asked her to change it and be put on a "list" for a table for two. As someone else suggested here, go straight to the dining room when you board the ship. We were on board by noon and we went to the dining room to check our seating. We told them we had a table for six but wanted one for two. They said it wasn't a problem and had one for us. We were thrilled to have our table for the two of us. It isn't that we didn't want to meet others but it was nice to have our special dinners with just the two of us. We loved it! Good luck and have a wonderful time on your cruise. This was our first cruise and we loved it.

yes, on some ships they are few and hard to get. but don't let that discourage you. go for it, and sometimes a bill in the hand when you go see the maitre'd will help. it also helps to be flexible with your seating - while you may prefer 1st, there may be an available table on 2nd.:)

Of course, just because you are seated at a larger table doesn't mean you will have tablemates. On my Majesty cruise last month, my son and I were at a table for six, but we were alone all four nights. :rolleyes:

Of course, just because you are seated at a larger table doesn't mean you will have tablemates. On my Majesty cruise last month, my son and I were at a table for six, but we were alone all four nights. :rolleyes:

Try cruising solo on a 10-night cruise and nobody else at your table shows up. Luckily the table next to me invited me to join them.

Sometimes they can make up more tables for 2, but sometimes it depends on how full your sailing is. I personally prefer large tables but have had them offer me a table for 2 when a mistake was made with our original seating assignment.

On the Majesty last year we were at a table for 8 and ended up with only 5 at the table. No one else ever showed up. But next time I will definately go with the 2 person table approach. It will be definately more romantic. Plus you meet people every where else.

Try cruising solo on a 10-night cruise and nobody else at your table shows up. Luckily the table next to me invited me to join them.

Ouch! Thank goodness your neighbors were nice enough to invite you to join them. :)

DW and I are frequent Princess cruisers. We always do Personal Choice Dining.

The only Royal Caribbean cruise we've done was on Sovereign this past January, with a group of 12 family members. We were all seated together at dinner so it worked out great.

DW and I are considering a cruise on one of Royal Caribbean's new ships, but the sticking point is having to sit with others at dinner.

Are there tables for only two in the dining room? If so, how do we get one?

(Don't bother extolling the virtues of meeting new and interesting people. We're both on the shy side and enjoy our privacy. We're not interested in sitting with others for a week of dinners.)

Thanks for the guidance.

Yes there are true tables for two, but they are limited in number.

Since you have cruised on Princess frequently, perhaps you can advise me if the table for two arrangements in the anytime dining rooms that we encountered on a recent Sapphire Princess cruise were typical. If so, I find it hard to believe that you found much privacy at meal time. We were seated at a table for two along with three other such arrangements and they were in such close proximity to one another (one member of each party sharing a long bench seat and within less than an arm's length of one another.)that we could, and did, easily engage in conversation with the other couples as if we were at a table for eight. Please tell me that the Sapphire Princess set up was not typical.

Speaking ONLY of RCCL:

Tables for two are NOT hard to get, you just need to know what it's all about.

Sure, the dining room diagram shows very few permanent ones, and yes, you have to ask if you aren't assigned one from your request and reservation.

Tables for two are very easy to tuck into spots all over the dining room. The maitre 'd is the only one that does this, so if you aren't assigned one, then go talk to him on embarkation day, around 1PM. Ask in the dining room when and where he is taking requests for changes.

First choice would be to find you a permanent table for two, then a table for 4 that doesn't have anyone else assigned, THEN they will make a table and tuck it somewhere. When I say "tuck" I mean just that. We had one once that was right at the bottom of the staircase, to one side. It was very cozy and quiet.

Yes, the demand is up, and it's the people that wait until later in the cruise to ask for a table for two that probably won't get one. But, first or second night when they are juggling people all around is when it's best.

We've requested tables for two and have had one on every cruise for the last 8 cruises.

Archived