baggies in the dining room

Louise45

On Princess we took food back to our room several times (from both the dining room and the steak house), and each time our waiter wrapped in foil in the form of a swan or a basket. No problems.

Here's a photo of one of the swans--this one contains my filet mignon from Sterling Steakhouse. :) http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaynemay/070.jpg

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

My favorite tale on this subject is our Princess trip to Alaska. Last night, we had a light early dinner and returned to our cabin at about 9 PM.

Before we started to pack, I went up to Lido and loaded a plate with meats, chesses and selection of rolls.

Returned to the room and put on a DVD into the laptop. Took our time watching the movie, slowly packing and grazing on sandwiches the rest of the night.

Louise, since you'll be on a CARNIVAL ship...

No, you don't need a baggie. I don't think a lotta folks take food from the dining room, but...if you feel you don't have room for dessert, they will put it in a small container for you. No need to take your bits and pieces of the meal - you can always order comp room service later, y'know. There's always too much food available all over the ship 24 hrs. a day to take a doggie bag.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather see someone carrying a baggie than wasting food. If you can't eat all of your entree or dessert, I think it is great to ask for a to go box so you can finish it later. I can't see wasting food just because you can. The cost of food is a big part of a cruise and if we don't waste - take as much as you want to eat but eat what you take - then maybe that will help keep cruising affordable for us all. I wonder how many pounds of food they throw away each day?

Just my 2 cents worth....

:)

People would load their plates with food, taste it and decide they didn't want it. Off it would go to garbage. Why not take a little, decide with that and go from there? - sorry, this is just a pet peeve. -

Like you, I hate leaving food on my plate, blame it on growing up during the cold war. I tend to eat light for breakfast and lunch (no snacking) and then have dinner. At that point, as long as I don't go hogwild with the ordering (i.e. appetizer and soup and salad and one or two entrees and four desserts, I can eat everything I've ordered. I usually just pass on desserts anyhow. Since all I get is a bowl of ice cream, it's no big. This is not everyone's idea of going on a cruise, but it works for me. Plus I came back two pounds lighter than when I left.

Charlie

Spikesgirl, I agree wholeheartedly with you! Why people order so much food is a mystery to me. That said, there have been a couple of times when my husband and I have voiced that we can't decide which entree to choose, then the server will bring us both. I feel guilty not eating it, but it's not an excuse to overeat, so I'll taste a few bites and not finish the whole dinner I ordered.

I throws them for a loop if you order 2 appetizers and don't want an entree. I've had servers beg me to order an entree, so it must be that they have to put in the order a certain way.

I can hardly stand to walk through the buffet and witness the waste I see there. The rare occasions we eat in the buffet, I take only a small spoonful of several choices and don't load my plate. You can really see why some gain so much weight on a cruise, it's as if they need to get their monies worth :confused:

I think as we get older, we not only require less food and we see the benefits of sticking to our normal food choices. I eat pretty much the same on a cruise as I do at home, with perhaps dessert more frequently :) .

Unless you're taking food back to the cabin for someone who's not feeling well, or just taking back a dessert, why bother taking anything out of the dining room? It's not like I've ever seen anyone go hungry on a cruise---you have 24 hour room service, all you can eat buffets, pizza, hot dogs and burgers for most of the day and night, and all the ice cream you can eat--and it's all free. I guess I just don't understand the need to take food out of the main dining room at dinner.

While I have a dandy appetite, even I can't just graze the buffet and sometimes can't finish my entire dinner in the dining room. I have requested that the waiters put my dessert in something for me to bring it back to my cabin to enjoy later, when I can breathe.. :confused: .

That being said, I have also cruised the buffet for nibbles late at night as I head back to the cabin. Luckily Princess has small refrigerators in all the rooms and I can pick up fruit or cookies to snack on during the night if I get the munchies. And there is always the room service option if I get really hungry so I don't see the need to bring back food from the dining room as a rule.

........If you ask nicely, you can pretty much get anything that is being served anywhere on the ship delivered via room service.

Steve, she'll be on a Carnival ship. You can't order the dining room meals via room service. I know some other lines do offer this; however, I've never heard of anyone on any line being able to order from the pizzeria, buffet, deli, or salad bar, and having it delivered via room service.;)

Yes, room service is included in the price of your cruise. I generally tip the server a couple of dollars but that's all there is to it. Now it depends on your cruise line whether or not they will let you order off-menu and have it delivered via room service. Check with the board that pertains to your line about this.

I just don't recall ever seeing anyone take food from the dining room.:rolleyes:

It seems that I have seen a note in the dailies on one cruise line (can't remember which one) that said something like "no food is to be taken from the dining room."

We're pretty much "clean platers" so the topic never comes up for us:D

Charlie

Steve, she'll be on a Carnival ship. You can't order the dining room meals via room service. I know some other lines do offer this;

If you speak to your server in the dining room it can be done. My uncle did it last year while we were on the Valor since his fiancee was really sick back in the cabin. He was able to order off the menu and they had it delivered. Its not the norm but it has been done

You're correct. This has been done ONLY on very rare occasions, however. Well, actually I've never heard of a meal being 'delivered', but allowed to be taken from the dining room to the cabin for someone too ill to go to the dining room.

I've wondered about this though ... On the one occasion I was too ill to go to the dining room, I was unable to eat anything. My sweet little cabin steward brought me some crackers and hot tea without my even asking. Do folks actually want food when they're that sick?:p

Do folks actually want food when they're that sick?:p

She had a migrane for 2 days and couldn't leave the cabin the waiters noticed she was missing for a second day and inquired where she was since my uncle was there and after he explained thats when they said they would make arrangements for a meal to be delivered to her from the dining room. Apparently she did want to eat something.

If your'e naueous/upset stomach then I don't want to eat

Archived