Are you a booze smuggler  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a booze smuggler

• I have in the past but don't intend to again with the new rules
    • I have in the past and will continue to try
    • I have nerver smuggled booze but intend to in the future
    • Never have and never will
    • Don't care since I don't drink

Since the all time post kings are threads on booze I thought an interesting data point would be how many of us have and will continue to break the rules.

I elected not to make votes public to protect the guilty :D

and the early lead goes to the haves......

Wonder how many haves, have ever been caught :confused:

JW

I have never done this before, but it would be very simple to smuggle booze. For instance in Hawaii, go to the ABC stores and buy the tiny 2-shot bottles with plastic caps (metal caps might set off the metal detector when trying to get back on the ship) and stuff them in your cargo shorts. Maybe flat plastic flasks might work well also and be cheaper in the long run. Anyone know of any other ways to smuggle booze easily onboard? I know that luggage is scanned and went through, so I doubt I'd try to conceal any in that.

I voted "have in the past but won't with the new rules" BUT it really has nothing to do with the new rules.

Sneaking booze on board comes up so often, I just wanted to see how difficult it might be. So, I did it once and it wasn't difficult, but I don't think I'll bother again.

-Monte

While I have in the past and will continue to try and bring along some wine, I have found it much easier to just call ahead and have several bottles placed in my stateroom. You pay a bit mor that if you were to bring your own but still save from buying drinks at the bar. Besides, most bartenders do not know how to pour a good drink or are monitored so that they can't. For $250 I got 1 liter of Absolute, 1 liter of Grey Goose, 2 liters of Chivis Regal and 3 bottles of Chardonnay. That should get me and my friends :) through the 12 day cruise to Hawaii.

We don't drink alcohol, and our cabin usually comes with liquor which we end up giving (or partying) away.

In the interests of hospitality to our guests, though, last time we brought Kalhua and Baileys shampoo for the coffee and our special blue Dawn dishwashing tequila. :p :D ;)

We also received 8 bottles of wine from various ship's departments....all given away.

Nah! Too much trouble - I pack and travel very, very light. Don't want to lug the stuff around. Don't want to hang in my cabin that long. Don't want to run to the cabin when I want a cold beer.

Besides, I love the frou-frou drinks.......

And, boring as it sounds, I adhere to the rules. Ya know, I dress for formal night, don't wear shorts in the dining room, don't buy drinks for minors - like that!

I just don't drink enough to warrant it -- and I like those lovely fruity things will umbrellas and froth. Bringing on a blender just seems like too much effort for me!
....C'mon and get smartened up.....I consider a mixing device essential and as you have stated a blender is a bit awkward....Umbrellas, toothpicks etc. can be stolen easily from the bars when no one is looking....Just yell WHALE and point outside...No one will notice what you take!...Just remember to say THERE DON"T YOU SEE IT !!! every 15 seconds or so or have your wife do it for you as she probably has more credibility anyway....As to the blender....well now you need to be a bit more creative!...Consider lifting a Hamilton Beach Malt mixer from the "TEEN CANTEEN" while the kids rush around trying to see Johnny Depp....[Again, your wife/daughter can be of invaluable help in this caper]...I hope this has been of some assistance to you....Don't bother asking me how I am able to secure my accomodations for practically nothing....That secret goes to my grave with me!....And the damn time is coming too soon.

One of those very small battery operated stick blenders works just fine. Makes a nice froth.

I haven't drank in years. Doc says I can't But if I wanted a good froth, here's a sight that has a good portable blender:

http://www.gasblender.com/

I wonder what the folks that complain about noise would have to say about that.

The first cruise I went on, we bought booze from the duty free on the ship and carried it straight to our rooms. Also brought on a case of Hieneken as luggage, no questions asked. I guess those were the good 'ol days.

I have never done this before, but it would be very simple to smuggle booze. For instance in Hawaii, go to the ABC stores and buy the tiny 2-shot bottles with plastic caps (metal caps might set off the metal detector when trying to get back on the ship) and stuff them in your cargo shorts. Maybe flat plastic flasks might work well also and be cheaper in the long run. Anyone know of any other ways to smuggle booze easily onboard? I know that luggage is scanned and went through, so I doubt I'd try to conceal any in that.
...You have listed some good to great ideas for getting booze back aboard, good for a yougster new to the game I mean...Now listen up the ol'chief and learn....First you need to get aholt of a really strong 6"-8" balloon. Next thing is to have a few warm-up pops...say 6 or 7 minis....[2-shot bottles????hmmmm] after you're fully into it swallow the balloon whilst your wife holds the open end of it.....Startin to get the picture??..Pour in as many of them little 1-shot[ONE-shot] bottles as you can afford...Once back onboard it's easy to retrieve the balloon and carefully fill up various containers with your smggled booze....It works great!....Trust me.

Nah! Too much trouble - I pack and travel very, very light. Don't want to lug the stuff around. Don't want to hang in my cabin that long. Don't want to run to the cabin when I want a cold beer.

Besides, I love the frou-frou drinks.......

And, boring as it sounds, I adhere to the rules. Ya know, I dress for formal night, don't wear shorts in the dining room, don't buy drinks for minors - like that!

....Ya probly quit spittin on the floor too!...

I have a box of wine (four bottles they fit in there -- who knew?!), and while I was at bevmo, found a box of sangria for the missus. I'll attempt smuggling both on the upcoming trip. We sucessfully got two bottles of merlot in on the luggage during the last cruise (HAL, less neurotic about bringing it aboard), will let you know how we fare this time around.

Any suggestions from past smugglers on whether to take it carry on or checked?

Not another booze smuggling post :eek: :D

Haven't seen one of these around for a while.

We haven't "smuggled" yet, because in the past we've always been able to just carry on our own good bottles of wine. I suppose now that that is no longer an option, we may have to pack a bottle or two in our checked bags. I dunno, is it worth the hassle? For us, it's not always the cost of the wine (well perhaps a bit) but the selection is not so great.

We'll probably still "smuggle" our bottle of Baileys for morning coffee, I hope we're not arrested.

I have to add, we only do this if we drive to the port, I'd not pack a bottle to be sent through a flight.

If you are too cheap to pay for your drinks, DON'T CRUISE. I, as well as other shareholders, would prefer you just go to the Motel 6 with your bottle of ripple.

Don't get me wrong, but you are not on thread here, we CAN take our RIPPLE on board and pay a corkage fee, we can't take our Jose or Crown on board at all. It is not a matter of cheap, it is a matter of convenience! If I want a drink on my balcony, I have to go to closest bar and find a bartender to make me a couple of drinks... oops...can't do that either, have to have the other person there to get their own drinks.... only 1 per person.....

My bet is they dont stock Ripple or Boone's Farm wine on board..... can't wait.... talk about cheap.............

The policy is a little skewed toward the biggest money maker if you ask me... liquor! I don't think I will pay at ShoreGuy's rate calc, $200 a bottle for anything... Boones farm it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Jimmy, I'll hide my parrothead for a week...

JW :cool:

A slight flaw in the poll, not every cruise line has changed their rules in regard to bringing alcohol on board. Since those are the lines that I use, I am not sure how to answer this poll.

I will be taking a case of wine with me on my upcoming cruise. And I am very sure that I will not have any issues bringing it on board, or have to pay corkage to enjoy my wine.

4 yrs ago, NCL Sun: I smuggled coconut rum into a 6 pack of 16 oz water bottles that I had carefully sealed and put back into the six pack holder. 3 yrs ago, Carnival Conquest: silver tequila, same MO. Now were on to Apple Martinis, the Sour Apple Schnapps in the mouthwash bottle and the vodka in the water bottles should work fine...but after reading posts about a "Bar Setup" on posts here, why take the chance of having your liquor confiscated? (I've seen it done, people not as clever as myself; hiding undisguised bottles in thier luggage) I'd rather just pay the premium for having what I want in the room without the risk...

Archived