Please tell me I don't need my marriage license!!!!

chp3ril

You have to think about all the past posts of "how I was denied boarding" because the last name on my birth certificate and my name on my cruise docs did not match. Oh yeah, when was the last time you saw one?

If you think YOU need your marriage licence, then I guess you do.

Okay, I give up, I am obviously wrong once again. Everybody else knows better than me. Just don't cry on these boards IF you are ever denied boarding because you don't have your marriage license, because we won't want to hear it.

Just get a passport, it is easier anyway. Oh, and by the way, when I got my passport, I had to provide my marriage certificate to prove my name change.

Okay, I give up, I am obviously wrong once again. Everybody else knows better than me. Just don't cry on these boards IF you are ever denied boarding because you don't have your marriage license, because we won't want to hear it.

Just get a passport, it is easier anyway. Oh, and by the way, when I got my passport, I had to provide my marriage certificate to prove my name change.

You're right on the PP, but that wasn't the question.

Although I agree that you should take whatever docs you may be asked for, I don't understand the marriage cert. being needed. Of course a woman's name will most likely change from birth and as I recall I needed to show the marriage license to get the driver's license in my married name in the first place. You'd think that is understood when showing DL and BC.

Of the 5 times I've cruised, I've had my passport for 2 sailings. The other 3 I had only a DL and BC and it wasn't an issue as I was never asked for the marriage certificate.

kitty

I should have been clearer when I posted that in the other thread.

Probably most people would not need to bring this.

I bring a copy of mine because my passport has been ammended from my maiden name, to my now married name.

I just worry about the little 'ammendment stamp', because it looks like something anyone could stamp on my passport, which is why I bring a copy of my marriage license too.

HUGz! Jules

They've quit doing that, you now have to send in your old passport, documentation of name change, and and get a replacement.

Of course a woman's name will most likely change from birth and as I recall I needed to show the marriage license to get the driver's license in my married name in the first place. You'd think that is understood when showing DL and BC.

If your theory were correct then no one would have to show their bc either...as you must have already showed that too, when you got your dl...

Give me a break...the OP asked, so that implys to me they have doubts...just take the dang paper and then get a Pasaport!

:rolleyes:

You're not comparing apples to apples.

If I was not planning to go out of the country or on a cruise in the near future, why would I shell out $97pp for a passsport when it's not required this year?

Oh yeah, you are obviously wrong.

On my honeymoon, they told us to take it simply because my drivers licence was not my married name. Noone ever looked at it, but it was a good thing to have to verify why I had a different name than on my documents. I signed everything as my madien name because that's what my credit card and passport said. Again, though, noone ever asked to see the marriage certificate.

You're not comparing apples to apples.

If I was not planning to go out of the country or on a cruise in the near future, why would I shell out $97pp for a passsport when it's not required this year?

Oh yeah, you are obviously wrong.

Thanks, but you are being obviously rude.

When I went to Jamaica a few years ago I did not have a passport. I took along both my birth certificate and marriage certificate and was asked for both. So glad I had marriage certificate with me! Since I didn't want the hassle of carrying all that paperwork on my upcoming cruise, I applied for a passport about 3 weeks ago. I asked them if they needed my marriage certificate and I was told that they didn't. They use all the information on the passport application to research the name change. Hopefully that was correct information and my passport won't be delayed.

When we cruised in March 2006 on RCCL my mother was asked for her driver's license, birth certificate and marriage certificate. Luckily, she had it with her. I think this is like the parental consent form, it seems to depend on who is checking you in. With everything that has just happened my guess is that they are going to start looking for more documentation. I would bring it just in case. JMO.

In lieu of a passport which establishes BOTH proof of citizenship and proof of identity, you can use this combination:

1. original birth certificate or certified copy with a raised seal to establish your proof of citizenship

2. valid driver's license to establish your proof of identity

If the names do not match each other exactly, you must bring whatever document links the two (marriage license, divorce decree, adoption papers). Now, in practice, married women are seldom asked to produce the marriage license; however, the government is within its rights to ask for the document. Don't take the chance that you'll be the 1 in 100 who is asked for it and denied boarding.

Several TAs have posted on this thread stating the same thing. Just because many many many people have cruised without needing to show the marriage license, doesn't mean that you can go without it. If you need it, and you don't have it, you may be denied boarding. Notice I didn't say you WILL be denied boarding--you may. It's up to the discretion of the immigration officer. Play it safe rather than risking sorry.

You are correct and this is not new. It has been this way for many years. It is a hit and a miss on when it happens.

First time I was questioned:

My TA told me, my birth certificate was useless because it had my maiden name and did not match any other documents. I immediately traveled with my marriage license while waiting to get my passport.

Second time I was questioned;

I was questioned 2 years ago. I was questioned in the airport when we had to go through. My passport has my birth middle name on it. But I always use my maiden name initial for all my signatures. So, my plane ticket did not match my passport. I had a lot of other ID and they passed me.

With the heightened security, I would not take a chance. To carry one more piece of paper is not a big deal. ;)

Unless your drivers license and birth certificate are in the same name, you need your marriage license.

You are not totally wrong as some think. You are correct in that statement if the government/airlines question that.

They might let you out of the country, but NOT necessarily back in if someone is questioned on the return trip..

Thank you, Alexis.

I do not understand?

Someone is evidently in doubt about bringing a marriage license. Instead of saying, you may need it so bring it. Better safe than sorry. Most are saying do not bother, you will never need it. :(

Well yes they might need it, so that advice could be wrong.

Everyone is an expert on this one. All I can tell you is our experience and that of many, many, many, others we know. Have NEVER had a problem with BC and DL for any cruise were those are the required docs when it is a married woman and the last names do not match.

For those that feel better, bring it if you have it. See if you get asked for it and report back here.

Ok, and of the literally thousands and thousands of cruisers that I've sent on cruises as a TA over the years, a very small percentage has reported back that they've had to show the marriage license. If you're willing to play the odds, great; however, don't cry to us then when you're denied boarding. My "sample size" though of who has been asked to produce one and who hasn't is considerably larger than any one poster's personal experience.

I advise each and every single client the same thing. I also tell them, "Now your friends who are frequent cruisers are going to tell you that you won't need this because they have never needed it. Regardless of what they say, bring it. The gov't is within its rights to ask to see it and if you don't have it, you may be denied boarding without refund. Also, I'm noting your record that I have advised you of this."

Is there anyone who is willing to guarantee the OP that she will not be denied boarding without refund and, if that happens, you personally will provide her with a full refund? If not, don't give her bad advice which may come back to haunt HER.

I can't believe a sincere and important question like this one goes back and forth for SO long!! Travel agents have posted that YES, SOME of their customer/clients HAVE been asked to show a certified marriage license, not ALL but SOME. I was advised to take mine back in June. My TA said it was mainly coming up in Jamaica - don't know the why's or wherefore's, and don't really care!! I took the thing with me and was not asked to show it, but if I had.........

(Now it's a different topic, but on the subject of "take or don't take" I WAS asked by customs to show a picture ID for my 12 year old, which I did not have because I was told I didn't need one......obviously we got back into the country, but he DID ask and said I SHOULD have had it :o )

I, too never understand this debate ( and several others that inverabley crop up on these boards..but, Btt)

It is for your protection...so why not just bring what every you think you might need...

Mama always said: "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"...

I am going on a trip to Cabo in a couple of weeks. While this is not a cruise what immigration officials are doing from flights may spread to cruises. I was told by the sales rep for the company that I am going with that if I don't have my passport than I had better have my marriage certificate with B/C and D/L. She said that several passenger had been denied boarding within the last couple of weeks. Why would you want to not only take the chance of being denied boarding but have to argue to get on board or stress and have hassle?

Just because so many people in the past have not been asked for it doesn't mean that you won't be the one person who is.

Everyone is an expert on this one. All I can tell you is our experience and that of many, many, many, others we know. Have NEVER had a problem with BC and DL for any cruise were those are the required docs when it is a married woman and the last names do not match.

For those that feel better, bring it if you have it. See if you get asked for it and report back here.

Well, like a lot of things in life, you don't need it until you do. It is up to the traveler to identify herself and to prove she is who she says she is. She may travel 100 times without being asked to provide more documentation. It is that 101st time that she will be denied boarding or get hassled upon return.

Get a passport - you're going to need one sooner than later anyway. Then all discussion about this can stop.

This is what has happened to me. When I first got married and we were going on our honeymoon and cashing the checks that we received as wedding presents. Which of course are made out to MR & MRS. I needed my marriage certificate, because my name didn't not match. The bank told me I needed to carry a copy of my marriage license because of the travelers checks. And when I did cash a check I had to show my driver license and my marriage certificate. Just recently my DH and I just filed for our first passports. We went to our Township. All we needed was our official birth certificate and drivers licenses. Did not ask for our marriage certificate. So I think its different where ever you go. IMO if you have any picture IDs that show both/either names could prove that you say who you are, I would take them. In this day and age you never know. Security has been changing constantly...

Starrluna

Wow, I am kind of shocked at the rude responses on this thread, but anyhow........take the marriage certificate.

I too have been asked for it in the past (before I had my passport)

If they don't ask you for it, GREAT-you are only carrying an extra piece of paper, but if they do want it and you can't produce it-you may have a problem.

I want to make sure that I have this right-- If I have a passport, I won't need a marriage certificate. I will only need the passport. Is that correct?

I applied for a passport renewal a month or so ago by using the State Department's website, and I had to send in a certified copy of my marriage certificate to prove that I had a name change since my passport was issued. I don't know why other people didn't have to show marriage certificates in order to get passports with a name change. You'd think this wouldn't be so confusing...

Archived