Please tell me I don't need my marriage license!!!!

chp3ril

Thank you for your rapid responses. I'm glad I recently got my passport and happy to lighten my load by leaving the birth certificate and marriage certificate home.

Amen to that! I just got mine too. Now no need to worry about all digging out all that paperwork all the time. It only took 4 weeks to get my passport. That was a surprise!

Okay, I know I'm going off topic and bound to offend someone... but after reading all this, I just wonder why more than 80% of women in the U.S. change their surnames when they marry??? (Self disclosure here... I lived in the U.S. for 37 years, carry a U.S. passport, and did NOT change my name when I married. Have never regretted it... and no, I don't throw a hissy fit when some innocent person calls me "Mrs. DH" because they assume I share a surname with DH)

I mean, is it really worth the tremendous amount of time and bureaucratic hassle to change over all of your documents?

If you THINK that, that's just fine with me. As a TA, I know otherwise.

You're a TA and you're giving people advise that could ultimately result in denied boarding???????? Unbelievable....

Bluenose Sandy, I couldn't agree with you more. It is a marriage license, not a title certifcate, and unless a woman considers herself chattel to be labeled with her owner's name, why change the name.

It sure makes it easier at this point in my life (mid-fifities) to do all types of legal paperwork (wills, living trusts, retirement benefits, etc) and be able to state that my name has not been changed since the day I was born.

The only time that I needed my marriage license to prove DH and I were married was for our first mortgage. We were getting a VA loan; he is the veteran; and we needed to show that I was his wife to be able to have my name on the house title.

Well, I do not consider myself chattel (and my DH doesn't either). I think it's an entirely personal decision for every women, and rather resent the implication that there is something "wrong" with a woman who does choose to change her name. My DH and I have an equitable marriage as true partners. I didn't need to keep my maiden name to have that.

Why change it? Of course, the custom began when women didn't have the position in society they have today; when they were essentially considered as "belonging" to their husband. Not a very pretty historical item. The custom has altered over the generations so that women now have a choice.

My DH was fine either way with whatever I chose to do. I chose to "take" my DH's surname because I am proud to have it. I do not think it makes me seem to be his property; I do not feel belittled by it. I like it. I use my first name, middle name, and DH's last name. (My mother uses her maiden name as her middle name, which I know is also common.) This was my personal choice. (There's the other little issue of having a horrifically hard to spell maiden name--once a clerk asked me, "are you sure?" when I spelled it for her--so that change was a bonus.) Also, I didn't find the paperwork to be onerous or a burden. There really wasn't all that much work involved, IMO.

I think that every woman should have the right to decide for herself. Regardless of whether she decides on no name change, one of the hyphenates, or a straight name change. She shouldn't feel pressured or chastized in any way for her decision. (It's kind of like the "at home" mom versus the "works outside the home" mom. I believe all moms should be supportive of each other about the precious and enormously challenging, but joyful, "job" of being a mom. Instead, there continue to be what amounts to fights and derogatory thinking between the two "camps" which is destructive rather than helpful.)

(One final thought. A women who marries, but doesn't change her name, is typically still carrying a "man's" name--her father's. Most children are given their fathers' last names, so I guess then that a daughter must be considered chattel too, but belonging to her father instead of her husband. Just something to consider.)

beachchick

Here Here! I agree with Sally. Not only does it show family unity, it also is more permanent. Too many people now marry but keep themselves seperate - seperate names, seperate bank accounts, seperate everything. It makes it oh so easy to walk away, don't you think? No messy name change to deal with etc. Just say "Bye" and keep going. I proudly took my DH's name (bonus was getting rid of 'Smith':eek: ) when we married 21 years ago. We've always thought and considered ourselves as one.... I don't need to be seperate. I am confident and happy in myself and don't need to prove it to anyone else:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by kyriecat

That has been the case for me. I only travel outside the US 1 or 2 times a year, but I have always ONLY needed to show my passport. My passport shows my name change (first, maiden, married) and matches my travel documents. When returning from the US after traveling abroad, the whole point of having the passport is to verify citizenship and identity.

When I got my passport changed from my maiden to married name, I had to send in my original marriage certificate to show proof of name change. I am surprised the Starrluna posted that the marriage certificate was not needed for hers. Maybe the passport rules are changing too???

I received my passport yesterday....in 4 weeks...surprised. But we didn't receive my DH's yet. Hopefully, it's right behind mine in the mail.

The only reason I feel that they never asked for our marriage cerificate was because we went to our local township office. So providing birth cerfiticates and drivers license was all we need. Plus, the DH and I went together. I have talked to someone I worked with and he said his wife needed their marriage certificate. I think maybe I got lucky.

Starrluna

For what it is worth, I was on the Explorer on August 20 with my DL and BC and I was asked to show my marriage license. I had it with me so it was no problem.

I would recommend taking it with you.

Good Luck and have fun.

Mary

Speaking of cirtified copies of divorce decrees,,,you know something else I travel with is a copy of my divorce decree that grants me sole custody of my kiddos...it shows the termination of perental rights, so if it is ever questioned why I am traveling internationally with my children it shows I have the right to do so with out anyones permission...just a thought b/c any parent (single or married traveling with children) who travel w/o the other parent have to get a notorized letter stating that the 'other parent' has given permission for the child to travel... (what a hassle that would be)

Just to add my .02 cents. Yes it is a hassle to always go to my grandson's parents everytime I want to go on a cruise. We cruise often and sometimes we leave on short notice. He does have a passport. But my lawyer drew up a paper thats good until the 11 year old turns 18 stating that he can travel with me anywhere I decided to go. BTW, for clarification, child lives with me in SE PA, mother is in Huntington WV and father is in jail in NW PA.

This piece of paper comes in handy, maybe you can do the same.

Kate:D

Am I correct in assuming that since my name matches on my passport and California Driver's License, that's all I need to bring and that my Birth Certificate and Marriage License is not necessary? Thanks so much for clearning this up.

It means that you only need the Passport, if yo have one you don't need the rest.

Kate

They only way your going to get an exact answer is to call Royal Caribbean...it seems there is a pretty big split as to what to do...

They would be your best bet:D

I don't agree that RCI is the best source because they tell you right up front that it is the pax responsibility to find out what documents are needed and to have them on hand at boarding. RCI doesn't determine what each port/country requires. The best source will be the immigration department for each country. The US Dept of Immigration does say that you can be required to prove the legality of a name change between things like your birth certificate and your DL. If you can't prove it, they can deny you reentry into the US. Simple as that. The bottom line is that a marriage certificate or divorce decree is one little piece of paper that doesn't exactly weigh down your luggage. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

beachchick

He would ask, "Are you feeling lucky???"

As I stated earlier in this thread, I have a daugter and daughter-in-law who took their honeymoons on Rhapsody of the Seas. Newly married, they both had conflicting names on their docs, and in order to board, were directed to bring marriage certificates to "bridge" the name gap. Both were PRE-9/11.

So once again, "Are you feeling lucky?"

If you are feeling lucky, just listen to "TA" Crusinfanatic and go to the port with your Mary Jones Drivers License and your Mary Smith birth certificate. If you're allowed on board, come back here and let us know. If you're left standing on the dock, come back here and let Cruisinfanatic know!

LL

I have always used my drivers license and birth certificate as proof of who I am, etc. I do have a passport - now expired - from when we were married 21 years ago. I had this ammened to have my last name changed when we returned from our honeymoon. My question is will this be accepted as proof of name change (since the passport is expired over 13 years)? I always carried it on past cruises just in case - bus was never asked for it. If asked, will they accept since it is expired? Remember, I am using my birth certificate (raised seal) and driver's license as documention...

He would ask, "Are you feeling lucky???"

As I stated earlier in this thread, I have a daugter and daughter-in-law who took their honeymoons on Rhapsody of the Seas. Newly married, they both had conflicting names on their docs, and in order to board, were directed to bring marriage certificates to "bridge" the name gap. Both were PRE-9/11.

So once again, "Are you feeling lucky?"

If you are feeling lucky, just listen to "TA" Crusinfanatic and go to the port with your Mary Jones Drivers License and your Mary Smith birth certificate. If you're allowed on board, come back here and let us know. If you're left standing on the dock, come back here and let Cruisinfanatic know!

LL

I have heard of know one left "standing on the dock" because they didn't have their marriage certificate, have you?

Your daughter and daughter in law most likely needed to prove their name change because the cruise docs did not match their drivers license. Gone over a hundred times on this board that they need to match.

Just read a post talking about bringing your passport or bc and marriage license if you have a name change. We are leaving in a week and was told all I needed was the bc and DL. Can anyone verify.....Thanks!!!!

Sorry, I didn't read the other 100 posts....

My wife brought hers on her HM cruise, but was NEVER asked for it. I'm sure that's the case for 75% of people in your situation.

Of course, I'd hate to be in that 25% and not have it.

Boarded two different cruise ships with my hospital certificate. The one with the little feet stamped on it. Only after I went to work for a bank, did I learn that it was not my birth certificate and ordered certified copies for the future. We still laugh about me arguing with the bank human resouces that it had to be my birth certificate as it was accepted by RCCL.

Archived