Explorer of the Seas; April 25, 2008; Motorcycle cruise, "BIkers on Board"

lnew1gd1

Any of you guys that have done this cruise do a review anwhere??

I have read the ones on the ETA web site but I'd really like to read one that is not posted on there.

Looking forward to our April Bike Cruise.

How about sharing any suggertions or hints/tips here.

Thanks,

Lynn

Any of you guys that have done this cruise do a review anwhere??

I have read the ones on the ETA web site but I'd really like to read one that is not posted on there.

Looking forward to our April Bike Cruise.

How about sharing any suggertions or hints/tips here.

Thanks,

Lynn

Well if you read the LONG letter on the ETA page you read my review. (Ed & Kathy) Yes the letter WAS from someone who has been there, done that.

Fell free to contact me at the e-mail address I posted (MSG6567@aol.)

We have done two cruises with ETA and now going back for a third. back. I will answer any questions as best I can but you will have to understand my view is just that, my view. We loved the cruise and met really great people. Our second cruise was better than the first.

Ed

Well if you read the LONG letter on the ETA page you read my review. (Ed & Kathy) Yes the letter WAS from someone who has been there, done that.

Fell free to contact me at the e-mail address I posted (MSG6567@aol.)

We have done two cruises with ETA and now going back for a third. back. I will answer any questions as best I can but you will have to understand my view is just that, my view. We loved the cruise and met really great people. Our second cruise was better than the first.

Ed

Oh, I did read that review. Glad to see it was "real" !! LOL Thank you for responding. I can't wait for that cruise, 12 of our fellow HOG club members are traveling with us so it will be a great cruise.

Have fun on your January cruise. It must be great if you are going back for a 3rd time!!

We don't really have any questions at this time. Just what would you suggest for packing hints....would shorts be ok or do you recommend jean for the rides. I never wear shorts on the bike but in that heat I was wondering.

Thanks for your posts. Appreciate them!

Lynn

I never wear shorts on the bike but thats just me.

Many people wore shorts on the rides as it does get warm and there are traffic jams so you do get hot. Just make sure you bring your helmets. They stop at some beaches so bathing suits also. For the rides just bring what you normally would wear. It has been kind of split between riders wearing jeans,tee shirts,boots and those that wore shorts,sneakers.

Have fun.

Ed

Thank you Ed for the info invitation. I really hope we can get our bike on. This seems like it would be a lot of fun. Shorts and Tee shirts are the last thing on my mind today it was about 55 deg riding into work this morning. But the sun is out now and its worming up fast. What will we do on the islands if we cant get the bike on? It will not be fun sitting on the beach as you zoom bye use:(

fred

Thank you Ed for the info invitation. I really hope we can get our bike on. This seems like it would be a lot of fun. Shorts and Tee shirts are the last thing on my mind today it was about 55 deg riding into work this morning. But the sun is out now and its worming up fast. What will we do on the islands if we cant get the bike on? It will not be fun sitting on the beach as you zoom bye use:(

fred

Just keep checking back with ETA on a regualr basis as once the cut off date for final payments gets near some people may bail out. The only draw back is if a slot opens up you may have to cancel with RCCL unless ETA can take over the booking. I think they are regulated by the Coast Guard as to the max number of bikes on board. Hope you get in as you will rreally feel the pain when you see the bikes rolling off the ship and onto the dock, then hearing the thunder of them riding off the dock. You cannot believe how many people have come up to us asking about having the bikes on the ship.

Goog luck.

Ed

• 3 months later...

Hey Lynn

Got your email about this site. Pretty cool. Please bear with me as I've never been on a cruise yet. Carol has, and is pretty excited. Also i'm learning to use my new computer. Pretty tough transfering things. Anyhow, I'm going to put the bike up on the lift soon and start cleaning it up along with putting a new saddlebag lid on the right side. The Big and Rich autograph is starting to get scratched a little too much for my taste. See ya soon!!!!

:cool:

Jimbo

Hey Lynn

Got your email about this site. Pretty cool. Please bear with me as I've never been on a cruise yet. Carol has, and is pretty excited. Also i'm learning to use my new computer. Pretty tough transfering things. Anyhow, I'm going to put the bike up on the lift soon and start cleaning it up along with putting a new saddlebag lid on the right side. The Big and Rich autograph is starting to get scratched a little too much for my taste. See ya soon!!!!

:cool:

Jimbo

Hi Jim,

Make sure you get over to the other roll call site, the one where all the action is! It's the one for the Explorer, our sailing but not just the bike people. No one seems to stop in here on this thread.

Go to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=362926

By the time we are done with you on this cruise you will be hooked and planning the next one! LOL

Gotta get the bike ready here too. It's going for a good detailing and new pipes before the cruise. Gotta dress it up pretty!

• 3 weeks later...
Well I called and got my name on the list. We are #2 now so you never know.

We live in Mansfield Ma that is just a couple exit's north of the RI line. We will be on the Explorer going out of NJ in Nov. so I will be checking out the parking then.

we are new riders and only got the bike 2 months ago but I ride it rain or shine every day and have over 4K on it already. By next April I should have over 10K and be ready to do the ride with no problem.I would also like to move up to a HD ultra classic so we can do longer rides. We have a Victory Kingpin now and I love it but after a hour of riding you feel it.

Fred

Fred, call the TA!! We have had 1 couple from our cruise cancel and there is another that was in a really bad motorcycle accident (hit head on by a drunk driver) that may do on the cruise but he is not in any shape to ride...actually still in a wheelchair and in therapy.

Lynn

Well we just got home yesterday from the 12 night cruise that was the first time for the bikes in Barbados, St.Kitts, Antigua. This was our 3rd bike cruise and by far the best one. The ship was great, the rides were really good. Everything flowed smoothly. All I can say is it was fantastic.

Anyone wanting info just e-mail me at the previously left emain address.

Well we just got home yesterday from the 12 night cruise that was the first time for the bikes in Barbados, St.Kitts, Antigua. This was our 3rd bike cruise and by far the best one. The ship was great, the rides were really good. Everything flowed smoothly. All I can say is it was fantastic.

Anyone wanting info just e-mail me at the previously left emain address.

Awesome! I will email you! If you do a review please let me know where I can read it!!

I can't wait for our turn in April but that is the 9 night to Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Martin and San Juan. I have been to all those destinations multiple time and would love to do the itin that you did.

Where did you sail from? Florida?

• 1 month later...
Can anyone tell me what we will need for the bikes on the ship? Do we only need tie downs.

Thanks

Fred

We do not need anything....everything is supplied for us. There are Bike Grabs on the ship and ETA takes care of everything else.

From their website:

Each bike is secured with a Bike Grab® while aboard the ship and is not available for view by other passengers. We have a secured area in the hull just for our guests' bikes. Plus they are under 24/7 surveillance by the ship's security cameras and we have never had anything go missing. The security staff aboard the ships take pride in making sure our guests personal belongings are never touch.

Glad to hear you are going to be part of our group!!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

SIDESHOW-BOB

I will try to answer some of your questions.

I have been on three of the bike cruises. I cannot remember being told it is all inclusive. On the web site it does say that there is a charge they collect the first night. That charge is not only for fuel but for the necessary insurance on each Island so you are protected. On some of the Islands they put together a luncheon or a BBQ that is not included. But you have the option of purchasing. From what I have seen it is cheaper to buy a meal ticket than it is to buy on your own.

It is a fact they don't take trikes but he tries to explain that on his website. I know trikes would not fit on the gangplanks we ride on and off the ship.

The mileage varys depending on the Island and how many Islands you ride on. The 12 night cruise we did this past january we rode on 6 islands and did close to 400 miles. On the 7 night cruises it varied between 175-250 once again depending on the Island and the route.

Now as far as them being rude etc I will only say that If I was ever treated badly I would never have returned on a second and third and soon to be a fourth cruise with ETA. I will say I have seen some people on the bike cruise who more or less expected their butts to be kissed. But that was the exception rather than the rule. Most of our fellow riders were great people and have remained strong friends. On our next cruise in April friends from our 3 previous cruises will once again ride the Islands together. Going on the bike cruise is the same as just taking a cruise. Everything on the ship is part of your package, but in port you pay for your excursions, you pay for any food and drink off the ship. Seems to me this is no different. The excursion is part of your package no extra fee for the rides.

So I guess I would say that the negatives you read are in the minority.

Maybe they didn't get their butt kissed, maybe they were bar-hopper riders. I would say that most people that have taken this cruise feel they got their moneys worth. I really enjoyed most of the rides and some of the roads are a challenge but are really fun. I had revervations before my first bike cruise and I did a lot of research. We had already done many cruises and felt this would be a double win for us.

Fell free to contact me at MSg6567@aol if you need more info. Thery are good people and deliver a great motocycle vacation

The farewell cocktail party has a small minimal charge (couple of bucks) and we paid for our own drinks.

Lynn,

Glad to hear you had a good time on your motorcycle cruise. We are going on our third one in April. I read what you posted and was surprised to see there is a charge at the final cocktail party. Can you tell me what that's all about? Very curious. We didn't have that on our past 2 cruises.

Thanks!

Lynn,

Glad to hear you had a good time on your motorcycle cruise. We are going on our third one in April. I read what you posted and was surprised to see there is a charge at the final cocktail party. Can you tell me what that's all about? Very curious. We didn't have that on our past 2 cruises.

Thanks!

My dear Kathy I hate to be the one BUT, yes on all the cruises the last night is a cash bar, that only means Larry PAID, thats why you thought it was free,LOL. So in April I will buy you a drink on the last night.

Lynn,

Thanks!

Sorry, my error. There was no charge for the cocktail party. Cash bar and a raffle if you wanted to participate. If I remember right the raffle benefited MDA, a great cause!

I can't wait till we can do the bike cruise again. Won't be for a while though unless I get canned for taking the time off for the cruises I already have planned.

MSG6567.....Ed, that was funny! You crack me up. I did, however, know it was a cash bar at the final party (I do retain some information while intoxicated). I thought maybe there was a new charge that was added.

MOTORCYCLE CRUISEMASTER......Perfect screen name! Very fitting!! Larry and I will see you in April. We're unbelievably psyched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lnew1gd1.....Thanks for the correction!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

To all the lucky people going on the 4/5/09 cruise We wish you to have a great trip. Hopefully this post won't get deleted like all the others.

I hear there will be a "small" party before you guys board. We will at least be able to join you for that time. Kathy,Larry,Tack,Monica see you soon.

l

• 2 weeks later...

We are officially booked for the Jan 24/10 cruise. Talking with Tami, she explained how they stay at the Sheraton and park there, shuttling the luggage to the ship and riding the bikes over. :confused: Have any of you done the January cruise from New Jersey and can you really ride in January???

We are officially booked for the Jan 24/10 cruise. Talking with Tami, she explained how they stay at the Sheraton and park there, shuttling the luggage to the ship and riding the bikes over. :confused: Have any of you done the January cruise from New Jersey and can you really ride in January???

Well I have done a January bike cruise. I went in Jan 08.

At that time we all trailered over to the pier, could we have ridden YES, but would have been cold. There was no snow, ice on the ground, it was actually a nice day. The port is not all that far. It is costly to park at the pier with a vehicle and trailer.

I was just at the Sheraton last Sat to meet up with several friends that were going on the bike cruise that left the other day. The people who stayed at the hotel rode to the pier and parked at the hotel. very reasonable parking. I was supposed to go on that cruise (would have been my fourth with ETA) but due to wifes job we had to cancel. They refused the time off. It was very hard seeing the bikes on the dock waiting to load. It was very hard to walk away from the group.

Now my wife and I are booked for the same cruise as you. It is kind of hard to say what I will do for parking next January. If the weather was like last year I could ride and save hundreds, if there is snow or ice I will pay the price.

If you have any questions you can email me at msg6567@aol.

Hi there, thanks for your response. I know that parking at the Sheraton is a huge saving over the pier and was wondering if it's worth it to drive to the pier, drop off everything, drive back to the Sheraton and then shuttle/taxi back to the pier? I've been reading about how painfully slow the drive to the pier can be, and to do it twice might not be the best idea.

The drive to the pier is not bad if you go early enough. If you were to drive over, drop off the luggage and bike, drive back, then shuttle back might not be as bad as you think. If I am right the parking is 10 bucks per night. I saw the rate sign at the pier the other day and I think it was 171.00 for up to a 9 night cruise, then 19.00 day there after so double that for vehicle and trailer as they charge you for 2 spots. so it looks like $456.00 for a 12 night cruise. up just a little from last year.

For me the weather will be the factor. plus we might be going with a few other bikes so that would cut the cost per.

Archived