Toursaver Book

cruisin 07

It's at least February or so before it is released. Whether it's worth it depends really on how many hotels you will be using. To be honest, if you're buying it for only one hotel, I wouldn't bother. But if you're going to be using several hotels, and there are other things you know you will use (like some of the 4 hr. boat trips, for example), go for it. We spent a week in AK after our cruise and used only a few coupons. Be sure to read cc reviews before choosing your hotels! We booked one because it had a glowing review in guide book and there was a Toursaver coupon, and it was a stinker. Literally.

Does anyone know when the Toursaver book for 2007 comes out. If all my lodging is already set is the book worth the price?

This question was asked last week and someone said they had contacted the Toursaver folks and they said the 2007 book will come out right after Thanksgiving.:)

It's at least February or so before it is released. Whether it's worth it depends really on how many hotels you will be using. To be honest, if you're buying it for only one hotel, I wouldn't bother. But if you're going to be using several hotels, and there are other things you know you will use (like some of the 4 hr. boat trips, for example), go for it. We spent a week in AK after our cruise and used only a few coupons. Be sure to read cc reviews before choosing your hotels! We booked one because it had a glowing review in guide book and there was a Toursaver coupon, and it was a stinker. Literally.

I'm curious - which hotel did you stay at that was bad?:eek:

From looking at eBay, the two most commonly used coupons in the TourSaver are the Talkeetna Aero flightseeing and Renown Kenai Fjords NP cruise. If you plan to do either of these tours, the book is already worth its price.

Another suggestion: If your trip is later in the season (i.e. August/September), buy them used on eBay at a huge discount as early season travellers will be done using theirs and will be reselling them.

If all my lodging is already set is the book worth the price?

Pretty much all of the lodging is "stay one night, get second night free" and is based on the "rack" or most expensive rate. Questions to ask:

-are there other places to stay in that location that are cheaper without the Toursaver coupon?

-do we really want to spend two nights at that location just because we geet the second night free? My answer to this question was "no" but may be different for you.

I had booked McKinley Creek Cabins for $149. a night and when I learned about the coupon book, changed to Denali River Cabins..........only have to pay for one night................same price. Also, if you do the six hour glacier cruise out of Seward at buy one/one free, you save $129. (THIS season) there, too.

Many selling them on e-Bay had only used the flightseeing out of Talkeetna. That alone is over $400. (the ones they've gone on).

I wouldn't buy it just for museums, etc. but for rooms and tours it's a real bargain.

AND,it benefits Special Olympics; you can't go wrong there.;)

Another suggestion: If your trip is later in the season (i.e. August/September), buy them used on eBay at a huge discount as early season travellers will be done using theirs and will be reselling them.

The only problem with that is that the vast majority of the coupons expire at the end of August. I am going Sept 2nd and there are none I can use. I REALLY don't get why they expire when they do. Really weird. :confused:

As already stated, the toursavers come out the end of the year prior.

I never use the lodging coupons, I am always able to get better rates at B&B's and other lodgings. These coupons also have very limited availablity.

But a bigger problem I see, is people get tied up with using the coupon and pay less attention to their limited time and routing. It makes NO sense to stay 2 nights in a area, you are better off staying in one. Worse case- you don't have enough time to begin with.

Maybe the "bad" hotel reference was the Anchorage Longhouse??

Plenty of coupons do not expire 8-31, look over the offers. It is an excellent savings for tours. I have been using them for many years. Always get way more than the cost of the book.

Plenty of coupons do not expire 8-31, look over the offers. It is an excellent savings for tours. I have been using them for many years. Always get way more than the cost of the book.

I am a huge believer in coupons books. I looked it over very carefully and every single coupon I was interested in expired before September.

Archived