Hotel in Long Beach - HELP

Payd

We will be cruising the Pride 1/21/07 and I am now hotel shopping. The hitch is that many of the "prime" hotels are already booked. I have found availability at the following: Guest House Hotel Long Beach, Comfort Inn and Suites, and the Best Western Long Beach.

Please help us by sharing your experience and opinions.

Payd

Good morning Payd,

We will be sailing on the Pride on 10/1/06. Availabilty is sometimes tough to find around the Port area, or at least a decent hotel at a resonable price. Have you tried Priceline? We got the Hilton Long Beach And Exec. Meeting Center Two World Trade Center for $85.00 a night and it's a four star hotel...might be worth looking into?

Good morning Payd,

We will be sailing on the Pride on 10/1/06. Availabilty is sometimes tough to find around the Port area, or at least a decent hotel at a resonable price. Have you tried Priceline? We got the Hilton Long Beach And Exec. Meeting Center Two World Trade Center for $85.00 a night and it's a four star hotel...might be worth looking into?

I did look it up on priceline and for my date it is $289 regular room or $314 for the suite:eek: . Perhaps its just the time of year we are travelling!?

Thanks for trying to help us out!:)

Can't wait to hear about your Pride trip - have a great time!

Payd

We will be cruising the Pride 1/21/07 and I am now hotel shopping. The hitch is that many of the "prime" hotels are already booked. I have found availability at the following: Guest House Hotel Long Beach, Comfort Inn and Suites, and the Best Western Long Beach.

Please help us by sharing your experience and opinions.

Payd

Hi Payd - never say never. It may appear right now that the "prime" hotels are booked - but rooms often open up due to cancellations, etc.

Last year I wanted to book the Sheraton at the pier in San Juan which was booked - I kept trying and did get a room there which was so convenient for us. We are leaving from Long Beach in Oct. and I got a room at the Westin Long Beach on Priceline for $85. + tax. It had been priced on the Starwood website at $199. + and thru the cruiseline @ $232. per night. When I bid on Priceline, I asked for a 4-star hotel in the Long Beach area and knew that if I were successful I would get either the Westin or the Hyatt as they were the only two 4-stars in that area on Priceline. Are you familiar with www.biddingfortravel.com A great website to familiarize yourself with the bidding process. Good luck - and do not give up "the ship." :)

Hi Payd - never say never. It may appear right now that the "prime" hotels are booked - but rooms often open up due to cancellations, etc.

Last year I wanted to book the Sheraton at the pier in San Juan which was booked - I kept trying and did get a room there which was so convenient for us. We are leaving from Long Beach in Oct. and I got a room at the Westin Long Beach on Priceline for $85. + tax. It had been priced on the Starwood website at $199. + and thru the cruiseline @ $232. per night. When I bid on Priceline, I asked for a 4-star hotel in the Long Beach area and knew that if I were successful I would get either the Westin or the Hyatt as they were the only two 4-stars in that area on Priceline. Are you familiar with www.biddingfortravel.com A great website to familiarize yourself with the bidding process. Good luck - and do not give up "the ship." :)

Mimi and Pops,

Thanks so much for the advice - we pushed on today with the help of Google Earth to pinpoint the location of hotels at least trying to stay in a "better" area of hotels if not in one of the better hotels itself. Looked up lots of hotels and came across hotels.org in looking up an Inn well...lo and behold if the Queen Mary doesn't come up. The QM is #1 for us just due to convenience the day of departure. I guess we just aren't savvy enough when it comes to all of the online bookings available - priceline, expedia, travelocity etc. We can only guess now that each of these organizations purchase rooms and sell them themselves?! :confused: Thanks for telling us to push on - we are now booked on the QM for 140US (taxes incl.). :) :)

Now onto the next question, should we venture onto the hotel strip near the pier for dinner and to check out sights (looks like a short walk)?

Thanks again so much to all for your advice and help! We aren't cruise newbies but this is our first on the pacific side.

Payd:)

Payd, if I may offer my advise. The QM will be a nice experience for you but the rooms are small; think old cruise ship. The free Trolley shuttle stops right outside the entrance way, so you don't have to have a car or take a taxi unless returning to the hotel late at night. Take the trolley to the Seaside Village; you will just have to change trolleys. The drivers are very nice and will help you, just ask. We dined at the Lighthouse Restaurant. It was very nice, good food and fairly priced. I highly suggest walk around to get a little feel for this area. Use Prime or Super Shuttle from the LAX or Long Beach airports to your hotel.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

You can also go to the area called "The Pike", which has lots of restaurants, such as Gladstones for Fish, California Pizza Kitchen, and plenty of others. It is right across from the Aquarium of the Pacific, fairly close to the Queen Mary. Enjoy. Either the Pike or Seaside Village is very nice.

Hi Payd:

If you are open to changing your QM reservation, here is my suggestion: I just stayed at the Coast Hotel a couple of weeks ago, which is right on the waterfront and only a short walk from the Queen Mary and your cruise departure point. (I happened to be there for 10 days as part of a convention.) The corporate website is: www.coasthotels.com. If the website says they are full, you can always call them direct: (562) 435-7676. Besides being walking distance to your ship, it takes about 15 minutes to walk across the bridge to "The Pike," where, as Telesap says, there is a large selection of restaurants. On the other hand, if you don't want to or are not able to walk that distance, there is a FREE shuttle bus called the Passport Bus that runs between the Queen Mary and downtown Long Beach; this bus also stops at the Coast Hotel. The Passport bus runs about every 15-20 minutes. Anyway, I do recommend the Coast; it is a "better" hotel, has a decent 3-star restaurant, and offers excellent views of Long Beach.

Happy cruising! :)

- Paul

Archived