New to X, Millenium much better than RCI??

rosie40

I want to "upgrade" the cruising experience for my DH for our anniv. He's never been the cruise addict the rest of are, & we're still trying to convert him ;) We've always done RCI w/ the family in the past. Would love to do Regent, but I don't think I can convince him to invest those kind of $$'s just yet. He really appreciates (as do I) great service, great food, no lines. We've done the Voyager, Freedom class previously, so crowded... and it's just hard to get really good food/service on a ship that large. It was, however, perfect for traveling with the kids. Thinking of maybe doing the Millenium in Jan., just the two of us. Is there really that much of a difference btw X and RCI to make an impression on him? What do you think of the Millenium comp. to RCI's Mariner, Freedom, etc.? Thanks for any info. you can pass along :) Also, although we love kids (have several of our own:)) would like to find a cruise/line that caters less to families for our anniv. trip.

Hi Rosie,

I started cruising 10 years ago now, with RCL and became addicted as soon as the first cruise ended ( Grandeur o.T.S.)

My first X- Ship was the Millenium and since that I am a loyal X- Cruiser LOL. There few but significent Differences in Service, Food and I love their no anoncemend polici- there is more but thats the most important for me.

I got back to RCL for two cruises ( Radiance and Brilliance ) I loved the ships but...! One experience was with Costa Cruises Coste Mediteranea- one was enough- not that I ever had a bad cruise- but compared with X--- no chance!

So I am sure you DH will love the X- experience of cruising.

Greetings

Michael

Hi Rosie,

I started cruising 10 years ago now, with RCL and became addicted as soon as the first cruise ended ( Grandeur o.T.S.)

My first X- Ship was the Millenium and since that I am a loyal X- Cruiser LOL. There few but significent Differences in Service, Food and I love their no anoncemend polici- there is more but thats the most important for me.

I got back to RCL for two cruises ( Radiance and Brilliance ) I loved the ships but...! One experience was with Costa Cruises Coste Mediteranea- one was enough- not that I ever had a bad cruise- but compared with X--- no chance!

So I am sure you DH will love the X- experience of cruising.

Greetings

Michael

Thank you very much for your reply. I was beginning to feel unwanted ;) I guess I've just become accustomed to the very active RCL boards. I'm just really trying to get a feel for how much more of an "upscale" experience Celebrity actually is compared to RCL....

I did one cruise with RCI and then two on the Summit. Boy you wouldn't think the no announcement policy would make that much difference but it really does! So much more relaxing. The service was good on both however, on Celebrity it just feels better, a bit more intimate. You'll love it. I too am sailing Millie in January and can't wait!!

Hey Rosie --

I've been on both RCI and X and love them both. But, we always have a better time on X. They are different. You are right...RCI is perfect for families and being really active. But, X is more for relaxing, being romantic and being pampered. You'll both love it. Enjoy! Maybe even consider the Century, a smaller ship...possibly more romantic. Though...I'd really miss the thalassotherapy pool.

The other posters are right. RCCL is great for family fun. We took our whole family on the Mariner of the Seas in March, we had a ball. There was something for everyone to do. When it is just the two of us, we choose Celebrity. We will be on the Millennium for our 25th in February. After 10 cruises on RCCL this will be our 2nd on Celebrity, we are looking forward to it. Sorry we took so long to find the difference. We have also sailed Princess 6 times. That is also a great line with a wonderful staff.

No matter what, enjoy your anniversary!!! And if you book the Olympic dining room (Ocean Liners on Constellation)you will be pleasantly surprised. The service is top notch, especially for anniversaries.:D

I think that, for a fair comparison, you need to compare the Millennium with RCI's Radiance class ships rather than the Freedom or the Voyager class. Both Millennium class and Radiance class are similar in size etc. and don't feature things like Royal Promenades, Ice Rinks, and Flow riders that offer passengers a much different cruise experience. If I were asked to describe an RCI cruise, I would definitely differentiate between the cruise experience offered on a Radiance class ship and the one provided by one of the bigger ships such as Voyager or Freedom. We have yet to sail on Celebrity and are eager to board the Constellation next year for the Westbound Transatlantic.

As others have said also started with RCI and graduated to X . First the new Zenith then others. M class is a great size.. big but not too big and the space ratio and flow throughout the ship is what got to us.

The service and food also seem to be just that little step higher and as also mentioned ..no announcements...or very few anyways.

Just a great experience.

I'm sure you would notice the difference.

I think that, for a fair comparison, you need to compare the Millennium with RCI's Radiance class ships rather than the Freedom or the Voyager class. Both Millennium class and Radiance class are similar in size etc. and don't feature things like Royal Promenades, Ice Rinks, and Flow riders that offer passengers a much different cruise experience. If I were asked to describe an RCI cruise, I would definitely differentiate between the cruise experience offered on a Radiance class ship and the one provided by one of the bigger ships such as Voyager or Freedom. We have yet to sail on Celebrity and are eager to board the Constellation next year for the Westbound Transatlantic.

I have seen that comparison made - Celebrity to the Radiance Class. We've actually only done the Voyager & Freedom Class. I must confess we do love the extensive decor, Promenade, etc. they share. I'm wondering if we will be disappointed in what I've read in some posts as Millenium being more "subdued" in decor and maybe a bit worn?? You do become spoiled after sailing on the new ships.... They are pretty awesome :) Can anyone out there give me their first hand impressions of Millen. vs. a Voyager Class ship? I understand there will be obvious diff. such as the skating rink, etc. But I'm wondering how much I might need to adjust my expectations for a bit of an older ship comp. the glitz and glam of Freedom, etc...

its not glitzy at all. I must admit-i do like "glitz" and you will miss that. I dont know if its worn, as i mentionedon your other thread, i havnt sailed on the Millie.

You will like the glass elevators that overlook the ocean. Very nice. Yes, the decor on the M class are very subdued, with very eclectic art. At first, i was unimpressed but then it rather grew on me. You will like the aqua spa / thallo pool area.

There are no dancing waiters in the dining area. At the pool there are crew that walk around, take your drink order and always smile and are very polite but there is no one walking around with tall icy fruity tempting concoctions, dancing with the trays.

I wish that was still available on the celebrity ships. Those drinks looked soooo tempting !! But, i decided that i cannot have everything. And i am willing to trade it for a more calm atmosphere around the pool area. Always a spot to swim and a place in the hot tubs and nice people to chat with and share a drink.

I hope you take the time to share your thoughts on the cruise after you sail. I would be very interested in your opinion. also, my DH and i have thought about taking a cruise with our two youngest-ages 15 and 13 and have thought about RCL--for more activities etc....

It would have to be a summer cruise, Caribbean itinerary, would you have any suggestions? and for 4 would you suggest a certain cabin or two cabins?

Nadine

its not glitzy at all. I must admit-i do like "glitz" and you will miss that. I dont know if its worn, as i mentionedon your other thread, i havnt sailed on the Millie.

You will like the glass elevators that overlook the ocean. Very nice. Yes, the decor on the M class are very subdued, with very eclectic art. At first, i was unimpressed but then it rather grew on me. You will like the aqua spa / thallo pool area.

There are no dancing waiters in the dining area. At the pool there are crew that walk around, take your drink order and always smile and are very polite but there is no one walking around with tall icy fruity tempting concoctions, dancing with the trays.

I wish that was still available on the celebrity ships. Those drinks looked soooo tempting !! But, i decided that i cannot have everything. And i am willing to trade it for a more calm atmosphere around the pool area. Always a spot to swim and a place in the hot tubs and nice people to chat with and share a drink.

I hope you take the time to share your thoughts on the cruise after you sail. I would be very interested in your opinion. also, my DH and i have thought about taking a cruise with our two youngest-ages 15 and 13 and have thought about RCL--for more activities etc....

It would have to be a summer cruise, Caribbean itinerary, would you have any suggestions? and for 4 would you suggest a certain cabin or two cabins?

Nadine

Of course I will be glad to share upon our return. I think it is so great to give back what is received from these boards. Your kids will absolutely love RCL!! There is so much for EVERYONE to do. My girls are 11 and 13, so as I expected, this past cruise in June was sort of a transitional one for them. They weren't very into participating in the organized "kids clubs" for their respective age groups this time around. I was perfectly ok w/ that.... Some kids are becoming a bit "worldly" at this age, if you know what I mean, and it just wasn't a comfortable situation. Maybe we have just brought them up to be a bit more reserved than some... That was fine though, they had each other to "hang" with (not that the 13 yr. old was necessarily loving that, but it worked out). I prefer the Eastern Carib. for DH and I, but we just took the kids (and Gram) for their first W. Carib. itinin. which I think would also be great for your fam. Some of the more memorable "have to do" excursions on the W. are the Stingray Encounter in Grand Caymen and the Zipline Tour in Jamaica. I don't generally love Jamaica, but DH and DD loved the ziplines!! I understand scuba in Cozumel is very good, also. As far as cabins go, we usually book 2 balconies on opposite sides of the same deck (usually 7 or 8) midship. Grandma & girls in one, DH and I in the other. Prefer mid ship b/c otherwise, as I stated in a previous post, it is a LONG haul to the elevators. I have yet to encounter a "bad" cabin due to obstructions, etc. on the newer ships. I would imagine there are probably a few out there, of course. I gather from other posters, however, that the cabins do seem to be rather small, comparitively speaking, to some of the other cruiselines. We have found them to be just fine to suit our needs. I will say I don't think I could ever do w/o a balcony, though. I suppose that really helps w/ my perception of the space. In any case, bottom line... 3 generations traveling together, and so much fun for all!!

Rose

Archived