Zenith to Bermuda Review (8/12 -8/19)

mmoot

...Bermuda was the thing I wasn't impressed with. Very crowded, expensive and on more than one instance, very rude bus drivers. The beaches were beautiful, but so is St Thomas and St Marteen which I prefer...Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy Bermuda. I am embarrased about the rude bus drivers you encountered. I apologise on behalf of my Island home. Most Bermudians are not like that. When you first get off of the ship, yes it is crowded, but as each cruiser goes their own way I do not find it that bad. Horseshoe Bay is always crowded at its entrance when the ships are in, but a short walk down the beach will give you a lot more personal space. As for the expense - you are right. Everything here, except for some locally grown vegetables or caught fish, must be imported by ship or airplane and then the Government adds the Import Tax before the product hits the shelves. To balance this out we do not have a Sales Tax and our Payroll Tax is small relative to our U.S. neighbours. There are some items that do not have a high rate of Duty. Perfumes, Crystal, China, Jewellery and Watches are not only excellent quality (for the most part) but are priced very well when compared to US prices. I have found the price I pay for perfume locally is the same price it is being sold Duty Free any other place including the cruise ships. Alcohol is available for purchase Duty Free with the understanding that it may not be consumed on the Island. Eating at restaurants is not cheap, but I have also found that eating at restaurants in any of the cities that I have traveled to is also not cheap. Have you been to Vegas or Manhatten lately?

Again, I apologise for the rude bus drivers you encountered. I hope you will give us another try. Either way...

Happy Travels

Cindy

Cindy,

You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place as Bermuda. It is by far my favorite island and Horseshoe Bay is my favorite beach. The big difference to me, from the Caribbean, is the quality of the sand when wading in the surf. It is nice and firm and your toes don't swish into the silt like the other islands I have been on.

Bermuda is tops for us.

Cindy,

I must agree with Sally saying "You are so lucky to live live in such a beautiful place like Bermuda." As you can see by my signature we've been to your island paradise a couple times over the last eight years, and are headed back in three weeks :D.

I would like to thank you and all of the Bermudian people for letting us share the most beautiful island in the world. Where else in the world could you find beauty in every corner you look, or the friendly and helpful people that are willing to point you in the right direction or stop their car to let you cross a busy street, and cleanliness of a padadise island than in Bermuda.

Ther is no reason for you to apologize to the people that can never be pleased. Thank you again, and we'll see you in three weeks ;). Kevin

Bermuda is wonderful-- but I would never recommend sailing on Zenith- not up to par with Celebrity.

...but either it did not work or someone took offense and had it removed, tho' I did not say anything bad. I simply pointed out that Zenith is a fine old lady with wrinkles. She needs a face lift but she is still charming. Many of us are Zenith loyalists and it hurts to see her put down so badly by some people. I have never put down another ship, except maybe for the food on the Norway, and even then it was a pleasure to sail on that "grand old dame".

And the Zenith crew is, by far, the best of X. They like sailing on the small ship. They say they can get to know each other well and feel like family. That translates to treating the passengers like family.

...but either it did not work or someone took offense and had it removed, tho' I did not say anything bad. I simply pointed out that Zenith is a fine old lady with wrinkles. She needs a face lift but she is still charming. Many of us are Zenith loyalists and it hurts to see her put down so badly by some people. I have never put down another ship, except maybe for the food on the Norway, and even then it was a pleasure to sail on that "grand old dame".

And the Zenith crew is, by far, the best of X. They like sailing on the small ship. They say they can get to know each other well and feel like family. That translates to treating the passengers like family.

Hi Patty:)....different strokes for different folks that is for

sure. As much as you and I love this ship there are those

folks who just can't stand her.:eek:

I guess it is a good thing there are different ones to choose

from;)

MMoot,

Just off the Zenith today and I am not sure I was on the same ship your describe. Yes she is an older ship but I found it in good repair and clean. All the juice stations were working and no part of the ship was roped off for repair.

From our experience, the dining room staff was wonderful. We needed a table change and had no problem. The service was first rate and there was no more than a few minutes between courses, which is even the case in restaurants. We never felt rushed and liked that. Our special requests were always honored.

As for the cabin, we were on Deck 6, midship, and only on the first night was there a little noise due to the high seas. You have sailed before so you should know the higher up the more reaction to the ship rocking. Yes I have sailed on deck 9 a number of times and did not find it noisey. Also sailed on deck 10 and sometimes heard the noise from 11. I suppose you could have refused the upgrade, did you think of that.

Deck chairs were a problem but all we had to do was ask one of the deck butlers if a chair was being used, he usually cleard the towel and allowed us to sit. Guess what no one ever came claiming them.

Zenith will either be refurbished or taken out or service after 2008. The company big wigs will be on in two weeks and the crew hopes to have it refurbished. It was the hope of cruisers and crew we talked to that they to keep the small shipfor Bermuda. The bigger ones won't be able to get in to Hamilton or St George, and personally I would not want to be out at Kings Wharf.

I "vote" for refurbishment for Zenith. Perhaps I should write to X and let them know. I've been on Zenith 3 times in the past year all to Bermuda. I love this ship. It's cozy and intimate and has everything I need. We always stay on deck 4 and our rooms are always clean and comfortable. If we ever needed anything it was handled immediately. And it's perfect for Bermuda docking in both Hamilton and St. George.

As for the dining room...the food is always top-notch and the service we have received is superb. We now have many friends among the staff on Zenith and we are always treated like part of their family. We eat at late seating and our dinners have been wonderful and well-paced. No one EVER slammed down a plate in front of me and this includes all the time we ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room and were served by many different waiters and assistant waiters.

Zenith is a ltitle-gem of a ship and has many may repeat passengers who appreciate her charm and the warm, family atmosphere on board. I am happy to say I'm one of them and I hope Celebrity realizes this and choses to refurbish her.

I must say that I agree with those who love Zenith. we just completed our fourth cruise on Zenith 3 weeks ago. Our previous cruise on her was July 2005. We were surprised that more than one crew member actually remembered our name from last year & greeted us with a warm smile! We have found Zenith crew to be the best. The only thing that we miss with Zenith is a room with a balcony. We have sailed all three classes of Celebrity ships & find Zenith to be comfortable & easy to navigate; she feels like home.

I certainly hope that Celebrity elects to keep her & do a major refurbishment rather than have her go the way of Horizon; but I fear that the bean counters will have other ideas, with their "bigger is better" mentality.

I think you have done a great disservice by your hatefilled review. If it was the only info someone you talked to had about this ship, they would be missing out on a great experience.

As I tell my children, If you look for something to complain about, you will probably find it.

Does Hal not have plastic cups on the buffet? Glasses around the pool are not allowed in any hotel and present the same danger on any ship at sea.

Celebrity's rooms are smaller than most lines so I do not understand your complaints.

I can only imagine what great things in life you miss if you only look for things to complain about. How sad.

Archived