Just Back - Isla Verde Beach, San Juan

Sandytoes

As soon as I exited the ship I asked 3 local people which beach area would be the best... Escambrom, Condado, or Isla Verde? I explained that I wanted to rent chairs & umbrellas and snorkel....They recommended Ritz Carlton in Isla Verde since they rent chairs and it's a nicer beach.

So we went on their recommendation....

You have to walk though the hotel breakfast dining area to get to the beach.

We asked about the chair rentals and were told they are only for the guests of the hotel..(No other chairs/loungers on the beach). I was so glad that I packed a sheet in by snorkel equipment bag....We sat under a tiny plam tree....Hardly any shade.....The wind was so bad....Sand blowing everywhere.....The worst was the water it smelled sooooo bad...:eek: Like rotten eggs - bad farts..........Was not good for snorkeling at all.........

After a while we decided to go to the pool area...This is a beautiful pool for the hotel....Extremely nice and peaceful........They did not say a word to us that we couldn't use the lounge chairs there.....

The doorman call for a taxi for us. Oh, by the way $19.50 each way....

I would not go there again...

Back on the ship I was speaking to other passengers who went to Condado. They were not pleased with this beach as well....Dirty, not nice, wasn't impressed....They wouldn't go back....

On a rating of 1-5, I give Isla Verde a low score of 1...

I thought that Isle Verde had a section of public beach where you could do various water sports - parasailing, jet skiing, etc. Did you see anything like this? We are staying at the Embassy Suites in Isle Verde and wasn't really looking for a beach to hang out all day, just some time for some water fun.

We did not see any various water sports - parasailing, jet skiing, etc. the day we were there.. Beach was empty.... Just the Ritz had chairs for their guests on the beach, that is it....No Chairs, umbrellas available, even seen, along the whole beach....

I thought that Isle Verde had a section of public beach where you could do various water sports - parasailing, jet skiing, etc. Did you see anything like this? We are staying at the Embassy Suites in Isle Verde and wasn't really looking for a beach to hang out all day, just some time for some water fun.

Not far from the Inter-Continental in Isla Verde there is a concession on the public beach that has the various water sports you are looking for.

We have stayed at the IC many times and enjoy the beach there

Thanks chris sea - that makes me feel better. My kids are all about playing!

We have stayed at the IC many times through the years. With and without our two boys. We enjoyed the beach near the IC.

Our son went to College near you. Graduated last year:) Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on the same cruise ship as Sandytoes - we should have shared a cab!

But our experience was MUCH better. We got dropped off on a little side street near the Inter-Continental - plenty of chair/umbrella rentals - beach was beautiful - no funny smells at all. We used the facilities at the Inter-Continental - but they were watching to be sure you did not use their beach chairs as there were two places to rent from right next to them. They had a beach bar that we went to also, right near where we placed our chair under a big palm for shade. It did get a little windy right before we left (3pm), but otherwise a lovely beach and great day. We picked up a cab at the same little side street where we got dropped off - there were 3 or 4 cabs waiting there.

I would not hesitate to go back to this beach again - but it sounds like I would stay away from the Ritz! (we never saw it!)

We stayed at the Intercontinental for 6 days last week. The hotel was lovely, service good, ate there only once cuz it's too friggin expensive ($44.00 for brekkie buffet). I thought the beach was quite nice. The surf was a bit rough at times. Clean sand. No smell. There were jet skis sitting off shore for rental and did see a boat with parasail up as well as a banana boat. Went to the Ritz but not the beach. I hear the beaches at Culebra are to die for. Wanted to go there but a long drive away.

We stayed at the Intercontinental for 6 days last week. The hotel was lovely, service good, ate there only once cuz it's too friggin expensive ($44.00 for brekkie buffet). I thought the beach was quite nice. The surf was a bit rough at times. Clean sand. No smell. There were jet skis sitting off shore for rental and did see a boat with parasail up as well as a banana boat. Went to the Ritz but not the beach. I hear the beaches at Culebra are to die for. Wanted to go there but a long drive away.

If you stay at the IC again, there is a shopping center across the street with a small diner type restaurant with good breakfast Mi Casita, very reasonable prices. Also, a bakery and a Subway sandwich shop.

That little bakery is actually pretty good. You can have the best cup of coffee there for very cheap. We ate there a fair bit. Never paid the prices that the Intercontinental wanted. Alot of people made daily treks to the Pueblo market to stock up their inroom fridge!!!!!

As soon as I exited the ship I asked 3 local people which beach area would be the best... Escambrom, Condado, or Isla Verde? I explained that I wanted to rent chairs & umbrellas and snorkel....They recommended Ritz Carlton in Isla Verde since they rent chairs and it's a nicer beach.

So we went on their recommendation....

You have to walk though the hotel breakfast dining area to get to the beach.

We asked about the chair rentals and were told they are only for the guests of the hotel..(No other chairs/loungers on the beach). I was so glad that I packed a sheet in by snorkel equipment bag....We sat under a tiny plam tree....Hardly any shade.....The wind was so bad....Sand blowing everywhere.....The worst was the water it smelled sooooo bad...:eek: Like rotten eggs - bad farts..........Was not good for snorkeling at all.........

After a while we decided to go to the pool area...This is a beautiful pool for the hotel....Extremely nice and peaceful........They did not say a word to us that we couldn't use the lounge chairs there.....

The doorman call for a taxi for us. Oh, by the way $19.50 each way....

I would not go there again...

Back on the ship I was speaking to other passengers who went to Condado. They were not pleased with this beach as well....Dirty, not nice, wasn't impressed....They wouldn't go back....

On a rating of 1-5, I give Isla Verde a low score of 1...

It must have been the day that you were there as we've stayed at the Ritz here and will be staying for 2 nights prior to our 11/4 Crown sailing and it can be lovely and not smell.

The reason that didn't say a word was that the pool was really meant for resort guests as well just like the beach lounge chairs and it sounds like you didn't ask like you did on the beach. Since you didn't ask here and maybe there weren't a lot of people they didn't ask to see your key or what room you were in like they have when it's crowded. It really is a beautiful pool isn't it?

Thanks for the price of the cab so we know what to expect when we go the Crown. How long was the drive back to the pier?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Ritz does have a beautiful pool. I was just a little disappointed with the beach the day we were there.... The staff knew we were there and were kind enough to let us stay. They even offered us a cold towel and fruits. But, we said no - I felt funny saying yes being we weren't guests....

Now, how long did it take from pier to Ritz? I think it took about 15 mins. Not long at all. Going back we had to make sure it was before 3pm because of the business traffic. So we left around 2 and hit traffic anyway. But, nevertheless it took 25 mins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived