Just Back - Grand Turk Cruise Center - Governor's Beach

Sandytoes

This destination has puzzled me with regard to a few questions. I think I know can figure out how to get to Governers beach. It sound like I can find Palm trees or rent a canopy; right? I am asking a lot of questions as we are doing a B2B cruise and will be there twice. Does Governers Beach have rest rooms ?(no big deal, just want to know) Also, is this cabana chat about Governers Beach or at the main complex? If we decide to do a cabana thing who do you have to know to get one or are they first come first serve?

The cabanas are at the beach near port and Margaritaville, or so I was told but can't find any infomation about renting them. Got the picture from another board thread.:rolleyes: I guess if no one knows I will find out when I get there in October and post back here with pictures and information.

Cabana's are near the pool area. The day we were there no one was using them. First come to rent....But, I personally think it's a waste of money. Find a good spot by the pool.

Governor's beach only rent umbrellas they do not have cabanas. There are tree here.

This destination has puzzled me with regard to a few questions. I think I know can figure out how to get to Governers beach. It sound like I can find Palm trees or rent a canopy; right? I am asking a lot of questions as we are doing a B2B cruise and will be there twice. Does Governers Beach have rest rooms ?(no big deal, just want to know) Also, is this cabana chat about Governers Beach or at the main complex? If we decide to do a cabana thing who do you have to know to get one or are they first come first serve?

If you will check your cruise under shore excursions, you can rent the cabanas there. I think they are $219.00. They are air conditioned, stocked fridge and snacks.

The price for the cabanas came from an e-mail response that I received from the Grand Turk Cruise Center itself.

On the beach are there lounge chairs/umbrellas for use as well? What is the rental charge for the day? The beach chairs are furnished at no charge. For the folding umbrella/cabana, there is a charge of $9.00 per cabana which would be charged to your cabin on the ship.

• 3 months later...

Sandytoes, thanks for all the great info. If you recall (or anyone else who's been there), in the shopping area near the dock, is there anywhere one could buy some bottled water and snacks (chips, fruit, etc.) to take with one to Governor's Beach? It seems like a bit far to go back to the ship for lunch, and Margaritaville doesn't sound like my sort of place (though Governor's Beach definitely DOES!). Thanks!

No food service at this [Governor's] beach.

O2B@C --I don't recall any place selling snacks.

I always packed plastic zip lock bags and even bottle waters.

Then I go to the buffet & take rolls (some to eat and the others to feed the fish) plus fruit for the days I am heading to the beach.

You can go to the general store onboard, they have tiny bags of chips. They also sell bottle water.

mom and I were on Sandytoes cruise...we did the hop on hop off bus. A little expensive for what you got and they didn't stop at one of the stops on the map, so we had to walk back to where they left us off in town...very hot out and hard walk for my 82 yr old 2 fake knees mom. The water was amazing, but we were there on a holiday so everything was closed. I was a bit turned off by the merchandise at the booths at the cruise center. I was hoping for lots of handmade crafts, but most seemed like they got them in China... and no one had postcards of Grand Turk! I would have like to have gone swimming, but hard to do with mom. We did enjoy the lighthouse and I got some good photos in town (I promise I will post this week!)

Kathy

Can you climb up to the top of the lighthouse, is it open to the public?

Great photos, I checked out your albums we definitely have photography in common!

How did you like the Crown Princess ship? I realize it was your first cruise but would love your overall opinion. We have considered a Princess cruise but no one can beat Carnival's prices and they all pretty much go to the same ports.

So where are you cruising to next?

Susan

Please post when you return. I will be going 2/7 and want to know about this beach too. I actually called the tourist board and they said it was open. maybe the cab drivers want to take you farther for more money. but, please let me know what you find out. Have a good cruise!

• 1 month later...
mom and I were on Sandytoes cruise...we did the hop on hop off bus. A little expensive for what you got and they didn't stop at one of the stops on the map, so we had to walk back to where they left us off in town...very hot out and hard walk for my 82 yr old 2 fake knees mom. The water was amazing, but we were there on a holiday so everything was closed. I was a bit turned off by the merchandise at the booths at the cruise center. I was hoping for lots of handmade crafts, but most seemed like they got them in China... and no one had postcards of Grand Turk! I would have like to have gone swimming, but hard to do with mom. We did enjoy the lighthouse and I got some good photos in town (I promise I will post this week!)

Kathy

Kathy - Great Photos. I love to take pictures so I see great oppotunity there. I also love lighthouses. I'm assuming that one cannot climb it.

The pretty chairs at Margaretaville - were they for sale? I loved them. I'm with you I don't like the junkie things that are "made in China" I like unique things.

• 2 weeks later...

The Westerdam review linked below, which was posted 3/23/07, includes a positive mention of Governor's Beach and says nothing about it being closed or there being any construction, so I would assume that means that whatever was going on, it's done by now. Hope so!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=26922

• 2 years later...
O2B@C --I don't recall any place selling snacks.

I always packed plastic zip lock bags and even bottle waters.

Then I go to the buffet & take rolls (some to eat and the others to feed the fish) plus fruit for the days I am heading to the beach.

You can go to the general store onboard, they have tiny bags of chips. They also sell bottle water.

PLEASE do not feed the fish! While this might seem a harmless activity, it can seriously harm or even kill them, and it alters the eco-system.

We are visitors to the island, and visitors to the ocean. Please enjoy the marine environment as nature intended. Fish feeding disrupts the natural balance of marine ecosystems.

For more information please refer to Coral Reef Alliance website: http://www.coral.org/where_we_work/asia/pacific/hawaii/fish_feeding_campaign/more

Archived