Tipping on Disney

Mamanance

No up charge goes to the servers in Remy or Palo that was changed the up charge is for the food, they rely on your tips only.

This is correct, we have heard it from more than one Palo's staff member over the years.

I have cruised many times and my daughter just booked a three day cruise on the Wonder. We cannot believe what they are asking for in tips. I have NEVER seen tips that high on any ship. Does anyone feel the same way? I always tip and appreciate the service, but to me they are way off the wall.:eek:

I think that tipping is close to the same on all the different cruise lines. I know Royal Caribbean and Carnival are about the same..

Interesting that you've been told that there is no included gratuity in Palo as we have been told exactly the reverse to the point of being quoted a figure. In fact, when the perk of one Palo experience for platinum Castaway Club members was added, we took the step of being sure that the server was still getting their tip from that dinner. Yes, we always tip additional, but again, we've been told by both Palo servers and managers that a tip amount is included in the upcharge.

This is from the DCL web site:

It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, we suggest the following, but gratuities are always at your discretion:

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night

Dining Room Server $12.00 $16.00 $28.00

Dining Room Asst. Server $9.00 $12.00 $21.00

Dining Room Head Server $3.00 $4.00 $7.00

Stateroom Host/

Hostess $12.00 $16.00 $28.00

Dining Manager Your Discretion

Room Service Your Discretion

Palo Your Discretion

Remy Your Discretion

Senses Spa & Salon An 18% gratuity will automatically be applied to all spa services.

Vista Spa & Salon An 18% gratuity will automatically be applied to all spa services.

Babysitting Gratuity not expected

Those tips are in line with what other lines charge.

In my opinion if you are upset about the tips you are charged maybe you should really evaluate the work these people do and talk to them about the hours they work. In is essentially like modern day slave labor.....they work extremely long shifts, doing multiple jobs on board and at castaway cay.

We normally end up giving our stateroom steward an extra $50 in addition to what we already prepaid.