Grocery Stores in Caribbean - Aruba,Curacao,St. Martin

ECBoca2

Here is something from the Q&A:

What food can I bring into the U.S. (fruit, cheese, meat, etc)? trnsp.gif Question Can I bring in food as a traveler (fruit, cheese, meat, etc)? The information in this answer does not apply to food being sent to the U.S. through the mail, courier services or other means. trnsp.gif Answer Many fruits and vegetables are either prohibited from entering the United States or require an import permit (for commercial importers) or a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin. Every fruit or vegetable must be declared to a CBP Officer and must be presented for inspection - no matter how free of pests it appears to be. Failure to declare food products can result in a $10,000 fine. See special guidelines for produce from Canada below.

Meats, livestock, poultry, and their products are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending on the animal disease condition in the country of origin. Fresh meat is generally prohibited from most countries. Canned, cured, or dried meat is severely restricted from some countries. See special guidelines for animal products from Canada below, and our Q&A on meat, poultry and swine products for a more complete discussion of food items from those sources.

Bakery items, candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products)are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.

Dairy items such as milk, yogurt, butter are generally admissible, although this is subject to change, depending on disease outbreaks. Eggs may be admissible, although frequent outbreaks of Exotic Newcastles Disease and avian flu make it very likely that they will be denied entry. Hard cured cheese such as parmesan or cheddar are generally admissible, soft cheeses such as brie and soft curd cheese and cheese in water(ricotta, feta, etc.) are not.

Fish, if it is for your personal use, is generally admissible.

Condiments such as oil, vinegar, mustard, catsup, pickles, syrup, honey, jelly, jam, etc., are generally admissible.

Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada. Fruits and vegetables merely purchased in Canada are not necessarily admissible, ie. citrus or tropical fruits such as mangos, which clearly were not grown in Canada because it does not have a climate that supports those crops. (Potatoes from western regions of Canada are currently restricted because of a disease outbreak. While commercial imports are permitted under stringent guidelines, travelers from Canada should avoid bringing raw potatoes with them into the US).

Currently NO RUMINANT PRODUCTS FROM CANADA MAY ENTER THE U.S. without a permit. This includes frozen, cooked, canned or otherwise processed beef, lamb, and veal. Hunter harvested game is admissible from Canada for the traveler's personal use if accompanied with a permit. For more information on hunter harvested game visit the USDA website. Fresh or frozen raw poultry and eggs are not permitted entry without a certificate from the Canadian Department of Food and Agriculture. Cooked poultry, pork, milk, butter and cured cheeses (Cheddar, etc.) and eggs are permitted entry. However, all such products must be in packages clearly marked with Canada (or the U.S.) as the country of origin. If there is any question as to the country of origin, the product will be denied entry. Pet food with meat by-products is not admissible as traveler's baggage.

Pork and pork products are not admissible from Mexico.

Other then the above general guidelines, it is impossible to advise you in this forum about the admissibility of specific food items because it is so susceptible to change. Disease and pest outbreaks, which impact the admissibility status of fresh and packaged food items, occur all over the world at a moments notice.

Failure to declare all food products can result in civil penalties.

In St. Maarten, the best grocery store and most reasonably priced is Le Grand Marche which is not too far from Philipsburg if you are renting a car. It is on the Dutch side and seems to be the largest and most common supermarket. My son lives on the island and does most his shopping there. It has a deli and bakery and is most like what we know in the US. The smalled groceries are very expensive...and don't have near the items that Le Grand Marche does.

I brought back 6 wheels of cheese from there in May...through customs, and on the cruise ship with absolutely no problems. I also had several bags of licorice and some other candies. I claimed them on my immigration form...the guy shrugged and didn't seem to care when I explained they were in a sealed wax wheel.

Aruba- Hong King, Certified and Ling & Sons (IGA) are all located in the same area. Hong King has more of a local flavor, as does Certified. (next door to HK) Ling and Sons is located behind HK and Certified, on the road adjacent.

Pick up some stroopwaffles while you are there. (in the cookie section). Mmmmmmmmm!!!

Carol

Archived