Grocery Stores in Caribbean - Aruba,Curacao,St. Martin

ECBoca2

We like to visit Grocery Stores wherever we travel to get a sense of the daily life of the residents and to find great bargins, too!

If anyone has any information about stores to visit in these ports, please let me know. Also I would like to know if any are near where our ship docks?

Thanks for any help!

Eileen

I used to go to Aruba a lot (besides stopping there on cruises) and if I remember correctly, if you come out of the pier and take a left it will be on the right hand side about 5 or not more than 10 minutes down the road.

There is one in St. Martaen one or two streets back from the first street that runs along the beach (Front Street). It is at the very end (as I recall) of the street--on the harbor end (where Bobby's Marina is). The next street back is called.....you guessed it.....Back Street.

I was checking grocery stores in St. Martin and found one called Sang's Supermarket. It's across the street from Bobby's Marina. I wonder if there is any problem bringing home Gouda cheese (as long as it hasn't been opened) Anybody have the answer?

i think the one in aruba that the other poster was refering to was "hong king"...i think..

you do turn left outta port and its on the right down the street...i'm pretty sure it's on "1a" highway.

it's big. you can't miss it.

I was checking grocery stores in St. Martin and found one called Sang's Supermarket. It's across the street from Bobby's Marina. I wonder if there is any problem bringing home Gouda cheese (as long as it hasn't been opened) Anybody have the answer?

I have bought wheels of Gouda in Aruba, St. Maarteen and Curacao...no problem at all. As long as it is a full non-open wheel. It doesn't have to be refridgated until opened.

I swear that is the best cheese! Enjoy

the one in aruba is king hong or something like that....almost like king kong. the arubus stops almost right in front.....it is actually very much like a US supermarket........just different products.....got decent prices on liquor there....also, if i recall, up a hill sort of behind it was a very new IGA i think....you can;t walk from the pier but if you have a rental car or take the bus they are do-able.

actually i resupplied my bottled water and seltzer/snapple there, along with snacks when we did AOS a couple years ago...i actually discovered it on a land based vacation there in 2003.

We like to visit Grocery Stores wherever we travel to get a sense of the daily life of the residents and to find great bargins, too!

How cool to find others who have discovered this little secret! I learned this during several pre-cruise land vacations to various islands. I have often said that the grocery store is where you find the true culture of the people. Everybody has to eat!

One very good thing to look for in the islands is vanilla. Sometimes called "essense" instead of extract, I've found it to be much stronger than what you can get in the states, I usually half the recipe amount. It's also usually much cheaper if you can find it in a true grocery store and not a tourist shop.

Maybe someone can tell me, is there a difference between "essense" and "extract" other than language?

I also picked up some raw sugar in Barbados (yes, well before the 50 pound weight limit on luggage!). Gave my pound cake recipe a very interesting twist!

Theron

You may be stopped from bringing it on the ship but you WILL be stopped from bringing it into the US

I have been to these islands by ship and by air and was never once have I been stopped from bringing in my wheels of Gouda cheese. I always hand carry it on board the plane. Even in Aruba Airport it is sold in the duty free area before going through US Customs. So no problem in bringing back Cheese.

We found a grocery store in Curacao last year. Sorry, don't remember its name or the names of streets, but here goes...

When you leave the ship, walk across the floating bridge--you'll be in the touristy-shopping district. Continue walking away from the water and in a leftward direction. You'll find the grocery store after you leave the tourist area, but it's not far. A very reasonable walk.

Have fun!

Chris

I would suggest that you check with the United States Department of Agriculture, which sets theregs for what products may be brought in.. I think bringing cheese in may have to do with pasteurization of the milk used to make the cheese . . . The customs Dept brochure says certain cheeses may be brought into the country, but I am unable to locate the list.

May as well give them the link...

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml#FoodProductsPrepared

Food Products (Prepared)

You may bring bakery items and certain cheeses into the United States.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really answer the question... I looked quite a bit for more details, please share if you can find them.

Theron

Ah! Google to the rescue again!

http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps3025/travel-1.html

GPO.gov is the Government Printing Office.

About 2/3 of the way down:

General List of Approved Products

This list covers products from all areas except Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Cheeses, hard, fully cured (but not cottage cheeses)

Theron

Yup we are super guilty, we live in the US Virgin Islands and we LOVE to shop at the Hong King (?) in Aruba, my Dh was raised in Europe and we take home tons of goodies we cannot get here, and the prices are quite good. Don't miss the bakery in the back corner- yum!

Archived