QM2 Labor Day Cruise

mariaemp675@hotmail.com

Dear Maria,

Could not do the photo by the VZ Bridge because of the weather. You should see the breaking waves by Shore Road and the sea wall we know so well under the VZ. WOW!

I was watching the ship from Lutheran Medical Center's top floor window while on duty today and felt bad with all the bad weather beating on the ship. We were so lucky to have good weather on 7/2 and wished it for you.

I question if you were able to see the bridge outside from Deck 13 -14 like Cruiseking likes too! Even the sailaway must have been inside today.

Well, do the best you can and have a nice warm cocktail tonite at 10PM in the Comm Club. Also, enjoy the gathering tomorrow again in the Comm Culb. Don't Ernesto bother you and take advantage of the interior of the ship!

Prayers & Best Wishes on a safe voyage....

:) :) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Hey Maria et al....what a bummer on the weather. I tried to get a grab of the webcam of Govenors Island and could barely see the ship at all!! It must have been very nasty judging by that and ESLO's posting. With luck you'll be clear of it and can enjoy some of that great sea air.

Karie....I've got so much planned for our cruise that I'll have to change 3 times a day as well as in the middle of both formal night dinners!!! Glad to see you finally got around to getting the clothes in a bag!! So...no dancing career...that was good planning. Hope it won't cause you any problems. At least you can still eat, drink and play trivia, so what's a little missed dancing?

Cheers and have fun! Penny

Miss Liberty- We passed VERY close to her.

in fact, I think she is charging CapTain Bernard Warner with sexual harrasssment for trying to look up undeR her skirt

VZ Bridge. Geez Eslo, I thought I saw you standing up there...That wasn't you? I wondered why that guy jumped or fell. We thought it was you trying to hitch a ride! <G> (Just kidding, folks! ) Not only could we see it and get a picture, I got VIDEO!!!!!! And a couple of shots on my digital camera, including the bell bouy. I would upload something if it wouldn't take me three days to reduce the size. Anyone got any good suggestions on how to do that quick and easily without new software? This is my laptop which only gets used on vacations. It has Windows ME and limited other software (MS Office- probably 98 variety- not sure. And a few others) Maybe later. I want to get into Halifax and see the maritime museum. We'll probably just take a cab. It's raining and we didn't sign up for anything The rain is light, but here may be T-storms later.

Maria just called. Not feelig well. She will stay in today. Thinks the fruit she had didn't agree with her. Stomach ache. I am sure it had nothing to do with the vodka Martinis with triple olives. (Heck, the number of olives she ate would give me the oopsies! But she's Italian, so I assume olive oil is like premium gasoline to her! It's in her veins, no doubt!)

I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR!

Babette, if you are out there- Or someone knows her number. They are in a light beige/golden sort of color and a dark brown. There are two sizes a medium- maybe 12 inches- Hard to say, the legs are bent, so hard to measure. That one is $17.99 The larger one is probably 16 to 18 inches. I have a smal tape measure in my pursewill try to measure later. That one is $30.00, I think. THEY ALL HAVE a SORT OF SWEATSHIRT?/WEATER Light color- (cream) and say CUNARD in stitching. No QM2 logos that Maria and I saw. Let me know before we get off! We can arrange the exchange later! You pass the secret envelope full of cash, I pass the large object wrapped in plain brown paper surrepticiously!<G>

Now The best news of all:

THERE WERE 55 PEOPLE AT OUR MEET AND MINGLE!!!!!! WE ALL HAD A GREAT TIME! I HAVE THE LOG BOOK IN MY POSSESSION AT THIS TIME. I BORROWED IT FROM THE LIBRARY AND WILL BRING IT BACK WHEN THEY OPEN TODAY! I BROUGHT IT TO THE PARTY. LOTS OF NEWENTRIES. IT WAS GREAT TO LOOK BACK AND SEE ENTRIES FROM KEN C, IMACRUISER, TANDEMTOURER AND MRS TANDEM, CROUTON, CALLIOPE, EATS ALL INSECTS, KIWI CRUISER, JACK-AT-SEA, LINERGUY, CRUISERKING, MOLLY22, CADUM, YOJIMBO, TRAVELGALS, SOME OF THESE PEOPLE TWICE!

ANYWAY, GOTTA GET GOING. WE'RE HEADING INTO TOWN.

WILL TRY TO LOG IN LATER.

KARIE,

WHO IS HAVING A GREAT TIME!

Karie, we're so glad you logged in and reported on your cruise so far. We were a bit concerned about how y'all would be doing given the tail-end of Ernesto in the area. It's great that you're enjoying everything. Have a terrific time in Halifax.

Keep the "girl" in good shape for us next year, okay? :D

PS: Just curious, are you also on the Dec. 2 sailing?

Hi All, Karie & Maria,

Hope all is going well onboard. Hope you get to see enough of Halifax during your stay.

Was unable to take the photo's by the bridge as I wished. The weather wasn't good around the time of your sailing. Also the Belt was in bad shape. Many trees downs and floods. Bay Ridge is really going to need to be cleaned up well. I am so glad that you experienced the sailing under the VZ the right way. It is something special to experience from the QM2 top deck. Also, I was not the one on the bridge and did not jump. I don't like heights (Ha Ha....)!

Please extend our feelings to Maria towards feeling better. I had a thought that there was alot for her to do and hoped it would not have affected her. She did just came off of chemo. She is in our thoughts and prayers to enjoy the rest of the trip.

SO, SO, Glad you had a GREAT turnout. I can't image 55+ people in the Commodore Club. WOW, it must have took up alot of the lounge. Glad the day turned out well with the weather acccording to the Webcam onboard.

I was thinking of all of you during the time of your Meet & Greet!

Well, we all are looking forward to your reports and also reviews from many onboard now or on return.

With best wishes.........

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Posting fast. Lost thte last post. On our way out of halifax I am on cell modem. Maria feeling better. didn't want to say to much. They get nervous at anything might quarantine, but no lower GI symptoms.l She thinks it was something she ate. Sorry about yypos not going to proof ssince running out of service.

Great time in Musemum maritime. Wil try to upload pics to a website.more later.

Karie. who is running out of time!!!!

Okay

Still up will try to post more.

We went sideways out of berth from Halifax. Weather is fine, wish you were beautiful (no offense, it is a Jimmy Buffett Song) Who knew there was an officer of a Parrothead Club on board and we know lots of people (and events in common.

Can't re-create the post I lost (pulled the plug to go out on the balcony and my battery was dead. I had copied to word, but not long enough to get autosaved.

Anyway, If I did not mention, we got upgraded wo A1, (I think) Cabin 11035 (In case anyone is sending email !<G>)

Hey Maria just walked in!!!!

Will try to post again, she says hi but will post now so I can read her the posts.

Karie,

who didn't proof first!

Hi Karie and Maria...et al....Sorry to hear you ate something unappealing Maria....hope it didn't slow you down too much. Checked you guys out on the Krooozcam Halifax cam and it looked a tad gray and gloomy not to mention wet up that way. I was so sorry it wasn't a picture perfect day for you guys. I "grabbed" a couple of webcam shots of her majesty at the dock but missed your sailing cause I was late coming back from the beach! :cool:

Karie...how do you like it way up there. We're in 11059 for our trip so tell me how you enjoyed it. What a great upgrade!:D

Hope you have a super rest of the voyage and enjoy all the ship's goodies. We'll all look forward to hearing all about your experiences. What a terrific meet and mingle!!!

Randy and Mary...Karie and Maria aren't officially on the Dec 2nd trip but we haven't finished with them yet so who knows how persuasive we'll be. Heck, it's just another cruise....what's the problem?:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Okay

Anyway, If I did not mention, we got upgraded wo A1, (I think) Cabin 11035 (In case anyone is sending email !<G>)

Hey Maria just walked in!!!!

Karie,

who didn't proof first!

Hi Karie,

Hope you are enjoying your room. We were in 11045, five six rooms down the hall on our 7/2/06 cruise and loved it. We would book that area of rooms in the future again if we could. We very much like the overhang of the 12th Deck over our room.

Say Hello to Maria.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Greetings to all on the Labor Day cruise. What a wonderful group and what a great turnout for your Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle. Maria, we are all hoping you are feeling better and enjoying the cruise. Karie, thanks so much for your delightful updates.

Karie, in case you don't see the QM2 "Bear" thread. Babette wants the $30 bear. You are so kind to offer to help her out.

Do you know how long Captain Warner will be on the ship?

Beth

Karie, in case you don't see the QM2 "Bear" thread. Babette wants the $30 bear. You are so kind to offer to help her out.

I'm too late :( - I've just got Babette's message that says "I'm in the middle of moving.... the $30 BEAR. I'm in an out of the office this week.... can you post it for me?"

I guess it's the $30.00 bear.

I'm too late :( - I've just got Babette's message that says "I'm in the middle of moving.... the $30 BEAR. I'm in an out of the office this week.... can you post it for me?"

I guess it's the $30.00 bear.

AGGH1 Which color? Beige or Brown?

Okay, She's getting beige...er Brown.... No wait, Beige! ...No I'd better get brown!

Oh heck. She gets what she gets and a can of spray paint! <G>

Karie,

who is typing fast this thing is super slow on the Cunard Connexxion!! Makes you pay more when it takes longer!

Bye!

I Everyone, and thank you all for the good wishes on my health.

Karie was very delicate in her posting. I definitely ate something that did not agree with me. I had breakfast in my cabin and the melon did not taste right. About a half hour later I became Mount Vesuvius. I have had food poisoning before and this sure felt like it again. None of my antinausia medications worked, because I could not keep them down. But because of all the chemicals in my system, and loosing about 20 pounds (yeah right!) over a period of about 11 hours, I truly felt better. I had brought my own ginger tea with me, (thank you Penny) so I went to the Kings Court and made myself of cup of tea. When that worked I tried the self serve soft ice cream. That worked also. So by 7pm, I was pretty good. Did not go to dinner though.

The rest of the trip was great for me.

I will post my daily log later.

Let me just say that Cunard On Board Services needs to change their representative both on their 800 #and on board the QM2. Anything I requested from them for our Meet and Greet I was told I would have to pay for myself. I was quoted $6.00 per person for cold canapes and $85 an hour for the photographer.

Belive me Cunard is going to hear from me big time!

As Karie already told you, we had a marvelous Meet and Greet. What a great turn out, 55 out of 91! My thanks for the help in getting the name tags to the right people goes to Hcat and Johnsy81 and Tvl Beach.

Also the Manager of the Commodore Club (Tracy) was fabulous. I spoke to her the night before the M&G and she had arranged extra staff and the microphone I requested. (no charge)

We did not need the ship's photographer. Karie's better half Marc took several pictures and printed them during the day and gave them to us. And guess what, he didn't charge us! There is a great group shot that both Marc and Smeyer418 took and they are each going to try and post it.

By the way, in the photos, I am the person that looks like Telly Savalas in a Tiara.

More Later.

Smiles Always, :)

Maria

Back home at 9;30....too easy a great trip but it did have some minor issues. Its a great ship and it was really a long four days(we closed the bars two nights in a row. I will post a website for pictures in a minute or two.

http://www.share.dell.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGOR

cruise critic meet and greet...

Best cruise embarkation and disembarkation I have ever been on

I went to the Kings Court and made myself of cup of tea. When that worked I tried the self serve soft ice cream. That worked also. So by 7pm, I was pretty good. Did not go to dinner though.

Let me just say that Cunard On Board Services needs to change their representative both on their 800 #and on board the QM2. Anything I requested from them for our Meet and Greet I was told I would have to pay for myself. I was quoted $6.00 per person for cold canapes and $85 an hour for the photographer.

Belive me Cunard is going to hear from me big time!

As Karie already told you, we had a marvelous Meet and Greet. What a great turn out, 55 out of 91! My thanks for the help in getting the name tags to the right people goes to Hcat and Johnsy81 and Tvl Beach.

Also the Manager of the Commodore Club (Tracy) was fabulous. I spoke to her the night before the M&G and she had arranged extra staff and the microphone I requested. (no charge)

We did not need the ship's photographer. Karie's better half Marc took several pictures and printed them during the day and gave them to us. And guess what, he didn't charge us! There is a great group shot that both Marc and Smeyer418 took and they are each going to try and post it.

By the way, in the photos, I am the person that looks like Telly Savalas in a Tiara.

More Later.

Smiles Always, :)

Maria

1.) Who knew Soft Serve Ice Cream was a cure for food poisoning?

2) What she didn't tell you was, when the soft serve ice cream worked, she felt she needed something more substantial since she hadn't eaten all day and threw up ever thing in sight (I was beginning to think she was <ahem> "in a Certain way!") so she looked around the "midnight buffet" as it were...hmm, choices, cookies, great looking other deserts, ziti with a separate bolognese sauce, Thai noodles with shrimp, salad, fruit, stir fried beef, fried rice with shrimp, little sandwiches, rolls,...nah- didn't want to risk it. Needed to try something ...that wouldn't cause further upset to a delicate constitution. So what would you pick? HOT DOG AND FRIES? Whatever! It seemed to work!

3) Cunard passenger service. Actually, I thought it was $6.50 per person, but what's four bits amongst friends? Tracey was the greatest. We filled out a White Star Service card for her. And mentioned in passing she went out of her way to accomodate us, which is more than I can say for Sarah Hegoas or Inge, the on board hotel/restaurant manager. But let me tell you folks, Miss Maria puts on one mighty fine party. She wowed them! People who had never seen nor met her walked up to her and said, "I knew this must be you!" (Juan from FL and friends! Hi there! Great meeting y'all!) This woman has a style all her own. I would die before I had the guts to appear in public with no hair. After seeing her carry it off, I am thinking it might become a new style! And you should have seen last night's roaring twenties head wrap! Wow!

4) Marc's photos? Oh I forgot to tell you. Where shall we send the bill? <G>

If there are those who simply cannot live without seeing these photos, He has sometimes been known to cut CDs. I may try to upload them to one of the photo services like O-photo or something for all to share. I apologize. I am terrible with names and faces. And meeting 55 people at once, plus many others, and trying to put real names,stories, screen names, partners and spouses, where they are from, and faces together. There were times I could not even remember mine! Y'all may have to fill in the blanks as to who's who!

PNHMARK, ESLO and others thanks for all of your posts, We were thinking of you all, but short cruise, expensive interenet- problems with the satellite a couple of times. And Penny. I plumb forgot to call you at sail-away! MyBad!

I cannot start telling you what a marvelous bunch of people you all are. Because if I did, I would leave someone out. Rest assured this is my aging memory, not a reflection on the impressions made by each of you! We seemed to all fit together so well, and I think there may be some lifetime friendships made here. (I think there already are!)

West Side Highway to Hudson Pkwy to Sawmill to Hutchinson to Merritt Pkwy was a perfect way to return (No BQE- The US Open is in progress! AGGH!) and I went down the road a mile or two in Red Hook to Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies (204 VanDyke) . Didn't get to meet him (We have corresponded for years- since the late 90's, but have never met) but I managed to get a key lime pie to take home. Turns out he was out on Long Island for a INS appointment (aced the test) for his (relatively) new wife. Do try to get by there if you are going to Red Hook. I have spoken about his place before.

Parking. I was running late, due to my discombobulatedness and foot injury. I got to the terminal about 2:30. NO HANDICAPPED PARKING LEFT! Had to park far (for me- But not to bad for normally aspirated folks! <G>) BE FOREWARNED THOUGH! When you leave, you pay a machine. The machine will want a credit card or a voucher (I asked going in what they needed. They didn't mention this- said something about pay at the machine when you leave.) THEY DO NOT TAKE DISCOVER CARD! (Visa okay) I had forgotten this from the Manhattan terminal. Iended up paying cash- I didn't want to hold people up while I went into my other bag for my Visa. BTW, Maria was there probably 3 hours before me. No Hcap left then either. But the terminal is much nicer than Manhattan. Lines long and snaking by the time we got there. But people nice, friendly,. Maria will tell you about the guy who took her pciture! Ours was equally nice and funny.

Missed all of the shows. They were held at 7:00 or thereabouts for late dining passengers. I was too busy having fun with my friends, then had to get ready and missed every one. I heard the comedian was a real hoot! Good impressions of the Captain's speech mannerisms. (and the subway, among other things!)

Got home, message on the answering machine. Reminding me of my 12:30 GYN appt today that I had somehow forgotten I had. If I hadn't fooled around for a couple of hours in Brooklyn, I could have made it!

Oh well, I guess I'll live! Cruising cures all that ails ya anyway I think! Ready to go on another one now! (Why, oh why, wasn't I born Rich instead of beautiful, slender and brilliant- Those of you who have now met me will laugh!) Ah well! Wish you ALL could have come along!

More later about our OTHER fabulous (very shy!) dining partners, Johnsy81 and her hubby, About Daniel and Marie-Jose (congratulations!) And more!

Karie,

Who needs to go unpack. including that marvelous GOLD (beigy-gold) Cunard large teddy bear, which she wishes she had bought two of. Made them open the store back up we lost track of time last night and missed the closing! There's one Cunard employee who was a sweetheart! The store manager where we got the bear!) But hopefully, it will make a child happy!

Didn't make it to phot when I realized they closed same time as Bear store. So I didn't get my 27.50 photos (which I DID intend to buy) of our dinner table companions and maybe a formal night or two. Too Hard to get to photo place. Out of the way, unlive most ships which are on your way to dining room to get you to buy. They have to be losing money, between the prices and in acessibility. Oh well. Their loss!

More soon!

Well, we are home safe and sound (wound up taking a bit of a detour due to my lack of navigational skills and wound up on the BQE :eek: heading to the Manhattan Bridge. After winding our way through the streets of lower Manhattan, we finally found the West Side Highway and from there it was smooth sailing back up to Westchester).

What can I say except that this was one fabulouso trip...thanks to our fellow CCers on board - especially Miss Maria, Karie and Marc. We ate dinner with these characters every night...and had a great time. Service in the dining room at night was fabulous...thanks to Noel, Frederic and Marc (our wine steward...come to think of it, could go for some of that Villa Maria blend about now;)).

We were booked on a D7 guarantee..Cunard upgraded us to a D2 guarantee on deck 12 (yikes). Still an inside cabin but all the way at the tippy top of the ship. We had a lovely night Saturday sailing through what was left of Ernesto with lots of pitching up on deck 12. Didn't last long though and the rest of the trip was smooth as silk.

The Cruise Critic get together was totally awesome...as already mentioned by my fellow cruisers (hi guys:)), we had 53 people show up. It was really great meeting so many of you, and Karie and I were already discussing a CC cruise next year (how does the Memorial Weekend Bahamas voyage sound?).

Overall, here are the highlights:

Embarkation: absolutely flawless for us. We arrived at the pier around 11:15. Security and passenger registration was very quick and efficient. We were on board around 12:30 and having lunch in Kings Court by 1:00. Luggage was in our cabin by 1:30.

Disembarkation: a bit chaotic as we did the self help. You have access to your cabin til 8:30 am, and passengers opting for self-help were able to leave the ship around 7:15. We went to our room, grabbed the luggage and waited...for an elevator! Elevators are very hard to come by on disembarkation day and we must have waited at least 15 minutes for an available elevator. We were in our car in the parking lot by 7:50 am...it took us close to 30 minutes to actually exit the parking lot. After that, it was straight out of the terminal to Bowne Street.

The ship: for those who do not know this, I am in awe of QM2. She is still magnificent and handled Ernesto with ease. She is in excellent condition and there was constant maintenance out on deck 7 even during the rain. If you've never been on QM2 and are planning a trip, please know that you will do alot of walking. She is a massive vessel, and getting from one area to another requires skill and patience.

Crew: we had very good to excellent service. Our cabin steward (Winston) and his assistant (Christine) were great. We discovered that our shower head wasn't working on formal night...Christine got someone to come up and replace the shower head within an hour (thank you Christine). Room was very clean and towels were replenished as needed. I was impressed by the fact that Winston and Christine addressed us by name when they saw us in the hall. Our dining room staff in the evening was fabulous, and the staff we encountered in Kings Court were courteous and very helpful. We met some lovely crew members in The Commodore Club and found this to be a lovely place to sit and enjoy the view.

Food: I had no problems whatsoever with food. We met a few people who weren't too impressed with the lunch menu in the dining room but no one we met complained about dinner.

Nova Scotia: unfortunately it rained the entire time we were there (everyone came back on the ship soaked). We did not do any tours but chose to walk along the waterfront for several hours.

It's now 4:19 pm Eastern time and I should be getting ready to go to the Commodore for a drink...instead, I'm on the second load of laundry. Oh well, it's all part of cruising.

Be happy to answer any questions so fire away.

Karie/Marc and Maria: you guys made this trip for us! Here's to the next voyage:).

We did the regular disembark and we were on Deck 6. We left our room at 8:20 or so(after breakfast in the Dining room)- the elevators were empty. we were called to get off at 8:45- took 5 minutes or so to get through the line to the gangway. Another 5-10 minutes to get the luggage and then we got to ICE(no line), had the slowest Immigration agent under the sun. Called Arecibo at 5 after 9 they were there by 9:20 and we were home by 9:30. I think the regular disembark is easier than the self. They had blue luggage carriers to take the stuff out or you could use a steveador...

Thanks for the Drink!

Sid

and Maria did a great job with name tags and cruise critic luggage tags for all the CC people. Thanks Maria it was a nice touch.

Sid

One more point...did you feel an uncurrent by the crew? I think the short cruise was more work for them that they are used to. The bars were crowded late and there was non stop people because it was such a short cruise thiis is not to say that the crew did anything wrong they were for the most part great but they are used to an older passenger who stays on longer at a lower pace(not all of course) IMHO and I was wondering if you felt it...

Sounds like a great time was had by all despite the weather intrusion. Enjoyed the pictures Sid...thanks for posting. Look forward to the rest.

And shame on Cunard for not being more cooperative!! Don't they realize what a loyal bunch of people they have here? Would it have killed them to have made some token effort to acknowledge that? That was some gathering you had..congrats again Maria for pulling it all together.

And by the by...you looked smashing in your tiara!!! Somehow just seemed to fit the setting...very appropriate attire! :cool: Glad the ginger tea worked....But inquiring minds want to know...who got the tee shirt?

It's OK Karie that you forgot to call me...I'm the forgiving type, even tho I sat there for hours holding the phone. ;) OK, so honestly, I had to leave for a party as you sailed...so I took the cell with me and even remembered to turn it on. Only problem was I took Steve's cell phone!! So all is forgiven...maybe I'll remember to call you guys when I sail! And why unpack? Dec 2nd will be here before you know it and then you won't have to obsess over packing in the last minute.:D Cheers, Penny

Well, we are home safe and sound (wound up taking a bit of a detour due to my lack of navigational skills and wound up on the BQE :eek: heading to the Manhattan Bridge. After winding our way through the streets of lower Manhattan, we finally found the West Side Highway and from there it was smooth sailing back up to Westchester).

Gee, and after we all talked about this! Heck we even toook a detour down to the end of Red Hook (Van Dyke St) for some Steve's Authentic Key Lime pie. On the whole, I found the streets VERY well marked, though you have to be attentive. I did make one wrong turn which we immeditately figured out (too residential looking) heading to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Two roads went off at an oblique angle. Took the wrong one. Hard to tell where arrow pointed. Also didn't know what tunnel Speed limit was. A couple of hornblowers soon let me know! Interesting driving by Pier 90-92 on West Side Hwy (Called WEST ST- Wish I had known! Was worried I was in the wrong place, but soon grew confident) What a dog, compared to Brooklyn- which had signs everywhere in this sparkling clean and modern terminal apologizing for their look!

Jo- We were going to wave to you as we went through your town! Went right by there, after all, on our way home!)

What can I say except that this was one fabulouso trip...thanks to our fellow CCers on board - especially Miss Maria, Karie and Marc. We ate dinner with these characters every night...and had a great time. Service in the dining room at night was fabulous...thanks to Noel, Frederic and Marc (our wine steward...come to think of it, could go for some of that Villa Maria blend about now;)).

I was so worried that Joanne's quiet husband John was going to request a table change by the second night to get away from this talkative nutcase (That would be me!) Yeah, I talk when I get nervous (and my ADHD meds wear off and make me hyper!) Little did I know that when he warms up to people, John is KINDRED SPIRIT! And anyone who gets to cruise with these people. DRAG THEM TO TRIVIA! They are VERY knowledgable! About a lot of subjects. Little known fact-John tried out for a well-known TV trivia game show in its early days. (It wasn't any lack of knowledge that kept him off- It was their goofy way of picking contestants.) Great wine, and thank you for introducing us to it (and sharing)

We were booked on a D7 guarantee..Cunard upgraded us to a D2 guarantee on deck 12 (yikes). Still an inside cabin but all the way at the tippy top of the ship. We had a lovely night Saturday sailing through what was left of Ernesto with lots of pitching up on deck 12. Didn't last long though and the rest of the trip was smooth as silk.

I must let fellow cruisers know- Most did not know that Ernesto headed west to the Great Lakes. It did not affect us. What did? The Nor'easter that pushed it to the west, when they normally go East at this latitude! Anyone who has lived in New England knows a Nor'easter (wind coming out of the Northeast- back-handed, so to speak) is nothing to be messed with! They are the worst storms to contend with, the wind coming from opposite direction from the normal prevailings. Although we had some waves Saturday night, that ship handled it beautifully. I was disappointed yesterday. Seas in the Atlantic were smooth as glass. only ripples were from the ship's bow! I wanted more excitement! I wanted to be rocked to sleep! Didn't even need to get my sealegs when I got off, she is so stable!

The Cruise Critic get together was totally awesome...as already mentioned by my fellow cruisers (hi guys:)), we had 53 people show up. It was really great meeting so many of you, and Karie and I were already discussing a CC cruise next year (how does the Memorial Weekend Bahamas voyage sound?).

Sounds great! Let me check my calender...and my annual GYN appointment! <G>

Overall, here are the highlights:

Food: I had no problems whatsoever with food. We met a few people who weren't too impressed with the lunch menu in the dining room but no one we met complained about dinner.

Lunch menus looked fine to me, though I only ate lunch once. I hated to miss it, but breakfast in the Brittania was so good I was not hungry! I am not used to eating breakfast or lunch usually, never mind both! I made up for it with dinner. Breakfast- Kippers excelllent, as was salmon. I asked for just the salmon (or yesterday also the kippers, though I couldn't finish everything) with the Eggs Benedict (always excellent) plus tropical fruit and a croissant. (mmm!) I had one or two minor problems with dinner, but not enough to send them back. Prime rib was a bit (only a BIT) gristly. Just could not figure out where the streak was. No problem, had more than enough to eat! Veal chop night before looked like a pork chop. Was dry and ovedone. (Veal should NEVER be cooked long. It lacks natural fat, and dries out easily. Often chefs will "Bard" (lace fat through) larger pieces to add fat and juiciness) BTW, I am NOT a morning person, so me making the Brittania every morning is a testment to the food! I finally couldn't do it this morning. I was up in plenty of time. In fact, saw the Verazzano Narrows Bridge and our passing under from my bed. What MAGIC! Couldn't grab the camera in time. No matter. It was marvelous- all twinkling lights and all!

Anyway- just could NOT eat another thing! So skipped breakfast.

Oh, BTW, weighed myself when I got home. Seems I lost one or two pounds. Proving once again, Cruising is good for you!

It's now 4:19 pm Eastern time and I should be getting ready to go to the Commodore for a drink...instead, I'm on the second load of laundry. Oh well, it's all part of cruising.
Don't hate me. I did mine before I left the ship. Would someone please come unpack it for me? I need a nap!

Karie/Marc and Maria: you guys made this trip for us! Here's to the next voyage:).

I MUST return the compliment! We would not have had nearly the great time without the good company of these people!

And I must say- John was such a sport, taking Kathy's (Joanne's friend and original cruise-mate) intended place on short notice. Kathy's husband was diagnosed with cancer. John's comment? It could be any of us! As our table well knows- life is precious, None of us know what is in store. On the way home I picked up a work-related voice mail from a policeman I have worked with at work- A coworker had lost a voice mail (automatically deleted) which turned out to be the last words ever spoken to her by her mother, who died suddenly a few weeks ago. And then the woman was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was in surgery when I called the officer back. If this isn't a sign, people, considering what I have been through (with my Dad) what Maria has been through (with cancer) and what Joanne's friend Kathy and her husband are just starting to deal with, then there never will be one. Life is short. Kiss your loved ones and tell them you love them. Take that cruise you always meant to but couldn't find the time for. (or didn't want to spend the money on) and save a voice mail or recording of a loved one. It was the very first thing I missed. Everyone has pictures. you will want to hear that voice, once silenced. (possibly even by stroke or other illness) Cherish your lives, people. We only get this one!

Karie,

Who is waxing philosophical today. Under clear blue skies.

We did the regular disembark and we were on Deck 6. We left our room at 8:20 or so(after breakfast in the Dining room)- the elevators were empty. we were called to get off at 8:45- took 5 minutes or so to get through the line to the gangway. Another 5-10 minutes to get the luggage and then we got to ICE(no line), had the slowest Immigration agent under the sun. Called Arecibo at 5 after 9 they were there by 9:20 and we were home by 9:30. I think the regular disembark is easier than the self. They had blue luggage carriers to take the stuff out or you could use a steveador...

Thanks for the Drink!

Sid

and Maria did a great job with name tags and cruise critic luggage tags for all the CC people. Thanks Maria it was a nice touch.

Sid

One more point...did you feel an uncurrent by the crew? I think the short cruise was more work for them that they are used to. The bars were crowded late and there was non stop people because it was such a short cruise thiis is not to say that the crew did anything wrong they were for the most part great but they are used to an older passenger who stays on longer at a lower pace(not all of course) IMHO and I was wondering if you felt it...

I think you're right about the regular disembarkation being less hectic than the self-help. I imagine that many passengers did the self-help as it seemed that the majority were from the tri-State area and had driven to the pier (and wanted to avoid as much of the rush hour traffic as possible). Oh well, we made it home fine (and got to tour lower Manhattan in the process:)).

Didn't feel any undercurrents among the crew, but I'm sure these short cruises are brutal on them. There appeared to be more young people and children than one would normally expect on Cunard. We went to the casino after dinner and that place was a madhouse!

Back to laundry...keep the posts coming folks so that everyone knows what a great time we all had (in spite of Ernesto)!

BTW, Maria, Joanne and John- I still have the caution tape if anyone should need it... And the rest of you will just have to wonder! All I can say is, it was (kind of) hysterical! Especially the guy in the kevlar suit! and the "washerwoman" with the bucket and spray stuff traipsing through our dinner! Reminded me a bit of Carol Burnett.

Maybe one of the others will post about it. I need a nap!

P.S. Maria- How's your Dad? Folks More proof- Live life now. Maria's Uncle died while she was boarding the cruise. Please give my sympathy to your Dad. And to you, now that you've had a minute to reflect. And keep that detective I spoke of earlier in prayers/thoughts. And Kathy's husband, too.

Karie,

who is sorry to mix laughter with sadness, but isn't that the cards life deals you?

Since inquiring minds want to know...thought I'd explain Karie's last post about the yellow tape.

Picture this: first night in the dining room. We're all a bit nervous meeting each other for the first time (and wondering what the next 3 nights might be like:rolleyes:). Busy looking at the menu, introducing ourselves, yada yada. All of a sudden we notice a bit of activity at the table next to ours, including someone in a hazmat-type suit and a lady with a cleaning bucket in hand. We turn around to see that the staff are putting yellow caution tape around the table (there's no one sitting there BTW). Maria says to all of us that this is making her very nervous, especially the crew member in the hazmat suit. Never shy, we immediately ask our waiter, Noel, what the hay is going on. We are promptly told that a passenger at that table got ill (no doubt due to the somewhat rough seas caused by Ernesto), and that the table could not be used for 24 hours. Now Karie, never one to miss an opportunity, decides to "borrow" some of the caution tape (never know when it might come in handy and dear Karie is always prepared) and stuffs into her little purse. I don't know exactly where or how she got the tape...and I don't think I want to know:p. Well, on Monday night when Maria was feeling under the weather and didn't join us for dinner, Karie shows up (fashionably late, of course) with her little purse and proceeds to pull out the yellow caution tape purloined earlier in the cruise. She asks me if we should wrap the tape around Maria's chair to caution others away since who knows what Maria has picked up. Fortunately, Maria's condition had nothing to do with the dreaded "n" word and I was able to restrain Karie from creating pandemonium in the Britannia.

The lesson learned here is that we should never let Karie travel alone 'cause someone needs to keep an eye on this girl at all times! John and I happily volunteer for this duty...after all, Marc has to sleep some time (doesn't he?).

Archived