Kudsadasi Tours

We did the ship tour when we were in Kusadasi off the Golden Princess last year and felt it was one of the better ships tours we have ever been on. The guide was very knowledgable and although we were on a large bus with lots of others he really tried to make sure to answer questions and try not to hurry people to stay together (some of us like to wander a little in order to take pictures). I don't know what line you are cruising on but if it is Princess at least check out the Princess offering if you want to see Ephesus, Mary"s house and the ruins of the Bascilia of St John.

We did a private tour in Istanbul with a very good guide and saw everything we wanted to see during a very good tour with Mehmet Ozbalci. I believe he told us he also guided tours out of Kusadasi. The company's web site is:

http://www.turfantastik.com

Their price for the Istanbul tour which took in all the major sites of Old Istanbul was very reasonable.

Have a great next cruise.

We, along with our friends, toured with the much-discussed Byzance. There has been much argument on the boards recently about the services they provide. First, let me start by saying that we had a wonderful day. Our guide was Oguz -- he is a former elementary school english teacher from Kusadasi and a fabulous guide. He recommended that we tour Basilica of St. John in the afternoon to avoid the huge bus crowds. This was fine with us, so we set out on our drive. Oguz took us to places that tour buses couldn’t dream of reaching and it was refreshing to not be surrounded by crowds. We heahed to House of Virgin Mary first. Ephesus is amazingly charming. There is no other place like it on earth. We were so happy with the service. If possible book your own tour to Ephesus. If you go with the Princess tour, you'll waste a very significant amount of time waiting for fellow passengers who can't be bothered to be on time, and you'll spend a lot more money than you have to. If food is included it will be horrible. Don't even think of securing a driver with a car or van through the excursion desk -- you'll pay many times more than if you booked it yourself. For 8 of us, we paid $200. ;)

We will be in Kusadasi in two weeks. Upon recommendations from past cruisers I made a booking from a local tour company. The cost for our party of 6 with a private official guide for Ephesus and House of Virgin Mary is $125 Dollars. We will have a vehicle which holds up to up to 12. If we could get a larger group together the price goes down per person.

We asked her to reserve the private guide for us because we think we can learn more with a guide for our party. I believe the cost of the private guide increased our cost above.

You might also want to check : http://www.shorexturkey.co.nr - Shorex Turkey

Enjoy!

David

YOU ARE A SHILL!! JUST CHECK OUT THE POSTS BY THIS PERSON! :mad:

We, along with our friends, toured with the much-discussed Byzance. There has been much argument on the boards recently about the services they provide. First, let me start by saying that we had a wonderful day. Our guide was Oguz -- he is a former elementary school english teacher from Kusadasi and a fabulous guide. He recommended that we tour Basilica of St. John in the afternoon to avoid the huge bus crowds. This was fine with us, so we set out on our drive. Oguz took us to places that tour buses couldn’t dream of reaching and it was refreshing to not be surrounded by crowds. We heahed to House of Virgin Mary first. Ephesus is amazingly charming. There is no other place like it on earth. We were so happy with the service. If possible book your own tour to Ephesus. If you go with the Princess tour, you'll waste a very significant amount of time waiting for fellow passengers who can't be bothered to be on time, and you'll spend a lot more money than you have to. If food is included it will be horrible. Don't even think of securing a driver with a car or van through the excursion desk -- you'll pay many times more than if you booked it yourself. For 8 of us, we paid $200. ;)

THIS IS ANOTHER SHILL!!! CHECK THE POSTS BY THIS PERSON!!! :mad:

We need to make sure the message that these posters are tour operator shills gets through to everyone on this board. I am completely aware of them and also some of the new "shills" trying to get out business but Newbies may not be and if we can keep our warning posts going we may be able to make sure they don't get any business from Cruise Critic members.

Jackie

We just returned from the Star June 21 cruise in the Med. Had a great private guide Nejat, who is also a lecturer in Kusadasi. LEt me know if you want to contact him. He was most reasonable as well. Got an early start, beat the crowds while it was not too very hot.

Phil

This is very sad with the shills that are coming in online. We toured in August 2001 with Levent Solmaz and who I found on these boards. We could not have had a better guide and/or person. I have continued to stay in touch with him even after leaving Turkey. I was extremely concerned for him after the 9/11 situation. He is highly professional and was schooled in the university in the US. If you want to contact me directly I would be glad to give you all the acolades for him. We had a group of 6 and even met us in Istanbul as well, although, his home is close to Kusadasi. To contact him directly go to leventsolmaz.com.

Bethirc

Hi All,

We are on the Royal starting Sept.16 and I have been reading boards for various ports in Europe. Additional a fellow cruiser has wisely started some boards for our more exotic ports. I just found this thread this morning and am not sure who is a real cruiser sharing information and who is a shill.

I do want to do private (share possibly) tours in both Istanbul and Ephesus for two reasons:

1. We have been to both when it wasn't high-season

2. My husband has had a stroke which somewhat impairs his mobility.

We had a marvelous dinner one evening at Korfez and hope to have lunch there this time. Not interested in huge crowds or bus lines. We were in awe of both places when we were there five years ago and simply want to revisit and admire.

Thanks,

Shannon

I just found this thread this morning and am not sure who is a real cruiser sharing information and who is a shill.

I share your concern. If you want to get a better idea of a poster, click on their name, look at the public profile. Check out their threads and all the posts by them. Most posters have more to offer, than just singing up in July, making some quick posts, and never heard of again. You have to read all the threads on each catergory, even the older ones. Then you will get abetter sense of whom to believe. IMHO. :)

what is a shill? I am assuming that it is a less than honest person! We will be in Kusadasi this Sept. and I don't want to be "taken", but want an honest, good tour... that is not on a big bus with the rest of the ship. From what I heard, this is one city that needs a good guide.

Hi All,

I would love information on Nejet as well. We have been before and loved both Istanbul, where we spent 5 days and 4 nights, and Ephesus. We want to redo and relish each site. Can you forward me your information?

Thank you so much,

Shannon

I promise I am not a shill! ;)

Last year, my family and I and a bunch of friends did the Golden Princess in the Med. We used a bunch of guides that I contacted independently and I have to say that our absolute favorite was the one we used in Ephesus and Istanbul, Lale Kosagan. You can find her if you do a google search. She took an 8-hour bus ride to meet us in the Ephesus for a half-day tour and then took the bus back to Istanbul to meet us the next morning for a full-day Istanbul tour. She was knowledgeable and warm and especially good with the kids. She has kept in contact with us via email since then and we plan to go back to Istanbul someday to do more with her. Have fun!

Hi All,

Based on the info on this board I emailed and hired Lavant. Unfortunately for us he is not available on th day we will be in Ephsus as he is starting a tour with five Brits. He will advise about tour guides. I sent him an email about some concerns of mine re: my husband and he immediately replied. (even though he is away on tours) Thank you for the recommendations. I look forward to our time with him and whoever he recommends for Ephesus.

Regards,

Shannon Gardner

i All,

I have forwarded daytrips for Mumbai and Cochin to Deb, Pat, Barbara, and Stampede/Simon, is anyone else interested? I have asked that they,lepassagetoindia, expand Mumbai to take full advantage of our time there. Will let anyone who is interested know their response. I believe Barbara is also working some aspects of these ports.

With respect to Egypt, we will make a decision this week. We have worked with four tour operators who have been very patient and informative with us. If anyone is interested in their names, please email me. They have all worked very hard to accomodate all of our needs( Jay has specific mobility issues as a result of his stroke) and desires. I feel bad that I can't hire them all.

For first time Egypt visitors, do take a look at the tours Barbara has put together on the Africa/Egypt threads. They are wonderful,especially when compared to what the ship offers.

Am waiting to hear from ScalaReale with regard to the Port of Naples. In particular touring Pompeii. We have heard from the Vatican and are scheculed to do Scavi on September 16th at 10:45AM. This should be perfect as our transfer is scheduled for 2:00PM for ship transfer.

In Istanbul, apparently six of us may be touring together. I have emailed Lavant for prices and complications of transportation. He will work on tour guides for Ephesus upon his return from current tour. He is unavailable in Kusadasi due to prior commitment with Brits.

Hope everyone's planning is going well.

Best Regards,

Shannon

Archived