Crusing Alaska 5/12/07 - Anyone Gone That Early in the Season?

poolwife

Was wondering how cold and snowy it might be going this early in the season? We are booked on an early cruise cause I was able to get a corner aft room on the "Serenade of the Seas". Those aft rooms are so hard to get, let alone a corner room. I have been to Alaska the end of May and third week of June so curious about the weather for the 5/12/07 sailing. The third week of June was absolutely ideal. Super weather!

Would appreciate any help! Thanks

I have gone once on 5/7 and twice the week after that.

Our weather has been fantastic. The year I went on 5/7 - it was in the 80's the week before in Alaska (probably pretty rare but it was warmer in Alaska then where I live in Nebraska). We probably had 60's the week we went to Alaska.

It was probably in the 50's and 60's during the day and cool in the evenings (40's or so). We have mostly had sweatshirt/jacket weather in the morning and in the afternoon - the sweatshirts could come off. The snow in the mountains in Skagway/Yukon is gorgeous at this time.

DD and I went this year from May 7-14. It was fairly cold (40s and 50s) and rainy in Glacier Bay. We wore coats over wool sweaters for all of our excursions, HOWEVER, we had a great time. When it's in the 50's outside the hot tubs on deck are fairly empty and feel great. Our Nature Walk guide in Sitka said it was about 10 degrees colder than usual for that time of year. If it had been 10 degrees warmer, it would have been really nice.

Had no trouble finding space on the decks since most folks did their viewing from inside.

Went 5-10 in 2000. The only problem with going that early, there may still be a lot of snow on the roads, and Denali wasn't open yet. So if you wanted to do a land tour as well as cruise, it might be more difficult to get around. And if there is snow, it is going to be cold! Enjoy your cruise.:p

No, land tour this time. It is round trip Vancouver just for the fun of going and being able to get that corner aft room which I've never had before. Everyone raves about how neat they are so here was my golden chance to try one. Although, it will probably be too cold to enjoy it.

We went the 2nd week of May in 2005. The weather was wonderful.

There was snow on all the mountains along the Inside Passage and in the ports. In Juneau it was sunny, long sleeve t-shirt in the morning and short-sleeve t-shirt in the afternoon. In Skagway we wore jeans and t-shirts the whole day. In Ketchikan it was chilly and drizzly, but not very cold. We wore windbreakers.

We had a balcony, and whenever we weren't out and about, I was out on that balcony. Had my coffee out there first thing every morning. I wore a sweatshirt because it was chilly when we were underway, but it was not "cold".

We're going back next year, late August. I'm interested to see how different the weather is.

Have a great time!

Linda

No, land tour this time. It is round trip Vancouver just for the fun of going and being able to get that corner aft room which I've never had before. Everyone raves about how neat they are so here was my golden chance to try one. Although, it will probably be too cold to enjoy it.

Poolwife~how far in advance did you have to book in order to get that corner aft cabin? Just curious because we aren't going until June of 2008, but have been told we won't be able to book until April 2007. I figured in order to get a corner aft cabin I would have to book just as soon as it's available to book. Which deck are you on?

There is so much to consider. We've only sailed to the Caribbean which is a lot easier to decide on. So we are having some trouble deciding which itineary to do.

Thanks! :)

Just went May6-13 this year, first 2 days, the seas were unusually rough 15-20ft and 6th day the same (12-15ft), alot of people got sick, the captain did steer the ship further out to ease it, but there is only so much he can do. I usually have trouble with motion sickness, so I took Ginger capsules the whole trip, never had a problem. Had a great time, the temp was cold (avg 43), but I loved it, it was in the 90's here in Tampa when I left. Had alot of rain, it was that time of the year, and some snow in Juneau, still had a blast, Capt. Larry's for whale watching in Juneau was great, only male humpbacks there that early and not many, but did have a pod of killer whales swim along with our jet boat for about a half hour, that was worth the whole trip, saw the lumberjack show in Ketchikan, humorous and entertaining, otherwise a lot of shopping, always bought sodas in port and took on ship, they wanted too much on board for sodas, also brought my own rum in my main baggage, no prob there either. I am 46, the crowd mostly older, still no prob. going to W. Carib this Nov on HAL from Tampa.

We were on the Volendam May 17-24 this year. It was great weather and we loved seeing all the snow. We especially liked Tracy Arm (even though we couldn't get all the way to Sawyer Glaciers). In Juneau we did Mendenhall Glacier, in Skagway we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake - gorgeous day & gorgeous scenery. Most of the lakes were still frozen but we really enjoyed our drive. In Ketchikan we took the catamaran boat excursion to Misty Fjords - a magnificent trip. On that one we saw a bear and eagles in addition to the gorgeous scenery of the fjord area. We had not one rain drop in any port. Enjoy your cruise!

This year, I was on a cruise out of SF mid-May. The weather was cool and windy in the mornings... I walk on deck every morning about 7a... All of our ports (Southeast Alaska) were overcast, but no rain. I am leaving again next year on May 7 and really don't expect too much of a difference. Just bring warm layers for on deck and a hat and gloves.

Got the corner aft room about a month ago. Was a real fluke. I was just looking around and checking cruises that went to Sitka, Alaska and that one and only sailing on the Serenade of the Seas went there and there was one corner aft room. I've never had any aft room so I am looking forward to it.

Hope things work out with my husband's work and we can go. I really want to take the drive to Emerald Lake out of Skagway, but a previous poster said when he went some of the lakes were still frozen over. I would really be disappointed if Emerald Lake was frozen.

I think its safe to expect cold but anything can happen. We went during first week in August this year, which historically, is one of the best weeks for weather. It was cold and rainy most of the trip, 40's and 50's and warmed up to 60's as we got down to Ketchikan. I wouldn't take a trip again and assume the weather will be warm - my mistake. It was still the trip of a lifetime even with the cool rainy - May like - weather. Book it and bring some extra sweatshirts. The snow on the mountains in the inside passage sounds great!!

we'll be doing our land tour May 29 - June 6th.

Any chance of seeing snow at that time of year? I would love for my son to see and touch snow!!

You may be able to see it during the drive to the Yukon in the mountains but most will be gone on he ground by then - at least that is what it was like a few years ago when I went that year. Though every year is different.

Archived