Just back from Splendour

Hi.

Just got back from the Splendour Greek Isles & Turkey cruise out of Venice. Our second cruise & we were not disappointed.

Ship condition is good, great service from all staff but especially our diningroom team - waiter Rianne (going back home to S Africa after this cruise), asst waiter Dwayne and bar attendant Renaldo. All helped make this a special week for us.

Itinerary was fantastic, we loved Corfu particularly even though the tour-guide there left a little to be desired. Plenty of sightseeing but also some sea-days to recover!

Any questions let me know.

how are the new beds ??

where was your cabin.

The beds are lovely! Very, very comfortable. We were in a junior suite on deck 8 starboard. Bit of engine judder on the first sea-day when we were firing on 4 engines but fine apart from that.:)

Booked on the Slendor for 5/07, and have concerns about the ships condition considering its age. The price was too good to pass up. But after sailing newer ships in the Caribbean, I do have a little concern about the ship. I realize that this is a port intensive cruise and the ship is secondary, but we still prefer nice accomadations. Could you expand review a bit further? Also, our flight out of Venice is at 11:00am, any problems with making this flight?

Booked on the Slendor for 5/07, and have concerns about the ships condition considering its age. The price was too good to pass up. But after sailing newer ships in the Caribbean, I do have a little concern about the ship. I realize that this is a port intensive cruise and the ship is secondary, but we still prefer nice accomadations. Could you expand review a bit further? Also, our flight out of Venice is at 11:00am, any problems with making this flight?

We've not been on any of the newer ships, previous cruise was on the Legend 5 yrs ago but we love the Vision class and the Splendour really is not in bad condition considering its age. There was the occasional tell-tale sign such as wear and tear on seats in the theatre, but I wouldn't say there was anything that would spoil your enjoyment of the cruise, everything was clean and well cared for. The stateroom was kept spotless and was very pleasant and comfortable. The food in the dining room was excellent and varied, very attentive staff and pleasant dining companions. Not many children running riot during sea days, the majority were enjoying the Adventure Ocean activities. As we were travelling without offspring for the first time this was good for us! :D

As far as your flight goes, 11 am shouldn't be a problem. There are different disembarkation times depending on what time your flight leaves - disembarkation started at 7.30 am. Personally I preferred to have an afternoon flight just in case there were any delays with the ship but that's just the way I do things. We went on the 'Padua and airport transfer' excursion on arrival back in Venice & then got dropped off for our afternoon flight. Hope this helps.:)

Glad to hear you had a great time! Did you fly in early and stay later?

Thanks! We flew in to Venice on the Friday before sailing on Sunday 13th. Luckily we were not delayed by the security scares at the UK airports although we weren't allowed any hand luggage. We stayed 2 nights at the small hotel Ca'Zose in the Dorsoduro region of Venice - a lovely quiet area - then just did the morning excursion to Padua on returning to Venice, then home.:)

Who was your captain and what was your sailing date. I'll updat the Current Captain thread

Hi. The Captain was Yngvar Knutsen and our sailing date was 13th August.

We thought it was quite amusing that if you wanted to eat dinner at the Captain's table, you could join him in the Windjammer! He is a lovely, down to earth chap who seems to inspire great team spirit in his staff.

Yes, Splendour of the Seas does have a concierge lounge now.

I have to bow to the superior knowledge of the other poster on this one I'm afraid! I must admit that I didn't notice a concierge lounge, but then perhaps I wasn't really looking as we are only Gold C&A members at present. We did go in to the library but didn't notice anything else around there. Sorry!:o

I have to bow to the superior knowledge of the other poster on this one I'm afraid! I must admit that I didn't notice a concierge lounge, but then perhaps I wasn't really looking as we are only Gold C&A members at present. We did go in to the library but didn't notice anything else around there. Sorry!:o

Well, here is the thread that has the info that I posted. Please check out Post #33...........Guess the folks that were reporting directly from the Splendour found it and they were't even looking for it!! ;) Of course, if you did not stay in a suite (JS does not qualify) and since you are not Diamond/Diamond +, you would not have been left a card to access it and therefore you would not have been aware of it. Just wanted to clarify.:) Seems, that more and more people put so much emphasis on whether a ship has a Concierge Lounge or not. We have access to it and use it primarily to get a cup of coffee early in the morning or a can of pop in the afternoon. Sure wouldn't base my decision on booking a cruise because it does of does not have the CL on it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=261374&highlight=concierge+lounge

Archived