Rotterdam Formal Nights/Just off the 8/9 Baltic Cruise

nycatty35

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Nope, ties are optional on informal night :) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That's what I said...The difference between formal and informal is the tie not the jacket!...You are asked to wear a jacket both nights but the tie is optional on informal nights.

[quote name='Opinions']That's what I said...The difference between formal and informal is the tie not the jacket!...You are asked to wear a jacket both nights but the tie is optional on informal nights.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]You're right on!:) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

On our Rotterdam Venice-Lisbon cruise last October there were no informal nights although our documents had said there would be three. It wasn't a problem for me as I wore what I wanted anyway.

I agree with OP, though, it was a major irritation that we had packed DH's jacket and pants and never used them. We like to dress up and so had packed his tux as well. When you are travelling to Europe this becomes a major hassle.

I think I'll contact HAL and ask about this October. I HATE to carry anything that we don't use.

cheers

[quote name='Opinions']I thought it was a TIE![/QUOTE]

Opinion ... you're right ... the difference between Informal and Formal IS a Tie.
The difference between casual and informal is a jacket. The question was about the difference between casual and informal ... how formal got in there in my statement I don't know. :confused:

[quote name='arabrab']Sigh. Unfortunately, yes. The airlines are now very strictly enforcing a 50 lb per bag limit and charging a bundle if you're over.[/QUOTE]

The overweight charge has long been $25 per bag (at least, that's the case with American Airlines). And, they've been strictly enforcing that at least since 2004. It's not new.

[QUOTE]Internationally, the limit on most of the airlines has now dropped to 50 lbs also, with some exceptions for first class or military travellers. The actual allowance can vary based on the origination or destination city, so you'd better be prepared to meet the strictest requirement.[/QUOTE]

As always, one should research one's itinerary and know what the limits are and what the fees are for going over. IF one needs to go over, and one is willing to pay for it ... fine.

[QUOTE]While 50 pounds sounds like a lot, it is surprisingly easy to go over that amount if you're using a large suitcase. The suitcase alone can weigh 9-12 pounds. We've changed our packing strategy. Rather than packing everything into one large checked bag and just enough in a carry-on bag so that if the luggage goes astray we're not out-of-luck, now we pack two medium size bags, one of which is just small enough to meet carry-on size limits. I'd rather not bring such a big carry-on bag on board, but that's a smaller problem than two people trying to lug three suitcases around.[/QUOTE]

I've always traveled in 2 checked medium bags and one carry on. I'm pretty good at packing the checked bags to about 50 pounds. And, yes, it's easy to get to that figure QUICKLY when one is big, like I am, and one has a lot of suits and stuff to bring. However ... a Tux weighs only as much as a regular suit, so switching from Tux to suit doesn't really help, does it?

[QUOTE]But on the original formal clothes topic - my husband was very pleased with the rental tuxedo on our last cruise. He did bring his own shoes, but it sure saved a lot of space and weight not to have to lug along his formal wear.[/QUOTE]

Understood. They don't fit me well, and I own my own, so I don't rent. That's my preference.

I paid $175 Euro in excess freight charges 3 years ago on Delta/Airfrance and that was in first class (did lots of shopping in Paris and Italy). I flew First on this trip.

Two years ago, I paid 100Euro on Alitlia out of Florence. Seems they charge by the kilo and I was in coach.

On Southwest out of FLL a few months ago, it was a flat $25 fee for one overweight bag.

[quote name='revneal']IF, by August 28, 2007, HAL's "Know Before You Go" Booklet has added some form of the term "optional" to formal nights, I'll buy you a drink. How's that sound?[/QUOTE]
Wonderful! More than the glass of Coke you can buy me, I'd love to enjoy it while sitting down to some good conversation with you. So consider it a bet. :)

[quote name='revneal']I think you'll be buying ME one ... but we'll see, won't we? :D
[/QUOTE]
Same deal. Buying you a drink would be a pleasure. Having a nice conversation with you would be an even nicer pleasure. :)

[quote name='revneal']Oh ... and what new airline regulations regarding baggage allowance are you talking about? Have the reduced the number or size or weight of the bags we can check???[/QUOTE]
From what I've read, several airlines have reduced the weight allowances on baggage ... I think to as low as 50 pounds per checked bag. I think you are still allowed to check two ... they just can't be as heavy as before ... not without paying overweight charges.

[quote name='revneal']I don't know about my fellow HAL passengers, but I won't be very happy wearing formal clothing if about half of the passengers are sitting near-by, scratching their bellies through their tank-tops while burping and pointing at me and saying: "Who do they think THEY are, dressing up like that!!? Must be stuck-up snobs!"
[/QUOTE]
I doubt people would be permitted to wear tank tops on formal night. In fact, even the new "Know Before You Go" brochure specifically prohibits tank tops in BOTH the Lido and the main dining room even on Casual nights.

I wonder how some of the other lines do it ... like NCL ... that have "optional" formal nights. Maybe one level of the dining room is used for people who wish to gussy up? If HAL ships really do implement this "Leisure Dining" fleet-wide, then it wouldn't be hard to designate one level of the dining room or one section of one level (if not many people want to dress up) as the seating aera for people who want to show off their best finery on formal nights. This way everyone dressed up on those nights would be sitting together.

Of course, I'm just guessing how this could be implemented on HAL, but I'd be curious how other lines ... like NCL do.

[quote name='revneal']As for the difference between informal and formal ... for guys, the difference is a jacket.[/QUOTE]
And for me, it's the difference between that purple pattern of "Aloha shirt" or the more "muted" red one. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kryos'] Of course, I'm just guessing how this could be implemented on HAL, but I'd be curious how other lines ... like NCL do.Blue skies ...--rita[/QUOTE]

The beauty and the beast of NCL, is that anything goes, any time, and for the most part, no one cares.

[quote name='PRINSENDAM'][INDENT]
So, lets go for the 'informal'.... but make it stick. What do you think?
[/INDENT][/QUOTE]
I would have no problem with that whatsoever. For us ladies, informal and casual is pretty much the same dress code ... a very nice resort casual. I could live with that very happily, and it would make packing a snap.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 2 weeks later...
At the risk of being picky, I do need to state that the breakfast times on the subject cruise in the dining room were one and one-half hours, with starting time varying depending on port arrival times. It is accurate that luch duration in the dining room was one hour, and the dining room was closed for lunch on 4 of the days. One consideration in the reduced dining room hours is that this cruise is VERY port intensive, and many of the guests will be ashore during lunch hours.

As to breakfast choices, any menu that offers kippers for breakfast can't be accused of being limited or unimaginative. (I confess that I've never had the nerve to order them).

Another plus (at least for the dining room breakfast) is that HAL offered a breakfast special that varied each day. DW really loved the steak and eggs offered one day. Another kudo for the dining room staff, DW loves fresh berries and yougurt. Even when they weren't listed on the menu, she politely asked if they were available. Each morning the waiter said that he would check, and always came through.

As RevNeal cautions, food is VERY subjective, but DW and I agreed that this was the best food we have had on a cruise, with three dishes being personal bests.

As we have come to expect, the service from the crew was faultless.

Archived