Rotterdam Formal Nights/Just off the 8/9 Baltic Cruise

nycatty35

Yes, Zuiderdam in April had one of the Yum Yum guys stationed between the Lido and doors to mid-ship pool handing out copies of the electronic NY Times. We loved this as we rarely received a copy in our stateroom until mid to late morning.

Just to clarify my post of yesterday.....there was not many people at all in jeans in the dining room. Most people were dressed casual but well. My gripe was the fact that the materials from HAL make it seem that more dress up clothes is required than is actually necessary. people were dressed much better than on the Voyager of the Seas last year.

Point well taken. But, trust me ... you go on a Vista ship sailing ... summer-time ... lots of families onboard ... and you're gonna probably see nothing but jeans on casual nights ... and all manner of jeans at that. :(

Next prediction? Bye bye mandatory formal nights. Hello optional.

Can't honestly say that I would mind that change, though. :)

Of course, the change is already underway for Flexible Dining ... so Freestyle is not too far off either.

The face of cruising ... it sure is a changing ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

I just got back from the Amsterdam Gems of the Baltic. I had thought there were going to be informal nights and there were none. We had 8 casual days and 2 formal. I did not see that written anywhere prior to the trip... did I just miss it somewhere in my paperwork? Where would that info be (for my next trip)?

My husband and I ended up bringing way too many informal clothes. Also, although the "know before you go" said nothing about prohibiting jeans, our daily program for the casual nights DID say something to the effect of "please no jeans, tank tops, shorts, etc."

I just got back from the Amsterdam Gems of the Baltic. I had thought there were going to be informal nights and there were none. We had 8 casual days and 2 formal. I did not see that written anywhere prior to the trip... did I just miss it somewhere in my paperwork? Where would that info be (for my next trip)?

My husband and I ended up bringing way too many informal clothes. Also, although the "know before you go" said nothing about prohibiting jeans, our daily program for the casual nights DID say something to the effect of "please no jeans, tank tops, shorts, etc."

One of the places you will find it is in your Travel Docs, the ones everybody is always dancing/cutting a rug about:eek: when they arrive in the malbox prior to the cruise. It's usually at the bottom of the itinerary page.

With the restrictions on air travel today I think the relaxing of the dress code is a good thing. This doesn't mean sloppy is OK.

Shorts and dungarees, no!

I don't take the tux and accessories any more. I take the dark suit and use the jacket to double up on informal nights.

No reason we can't still be clean and decent witout all the hoopla.

No reason we can't still be clean and decent witout all the hoopla.

Exactly.

I find that as long as you make a sincere effort to look nice, you never have any problems on formal night. You certainly don't HAVE TO wear ballroom gowns or tuxedos to fit in perfectly with your fellow cruisers.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Kryos.........

My prediction is the next to go bye-bye is Informal .....Formal will remain, at least for the short term. IMO

While I think the breakfasts on RCCL surpass HAL,.

I have, ingrained in my memory, a scene up at the pool of RCCL's NORDIC PRINCE on a cruise to Bermuda in the late 80s.

A steward who had been serving tables at breakfast was 'taking a breather'.... he thought out of sight I'm sure. With one hand he was scratching his head and the other was scratching his bum or pulling out a wedgee.

I've never been back to RCCL! :eek:

Stephen

:(

Can't honestly say that I would mind that change, though. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita.....

I seems to be writing to only you today! :)

Yes, I can also see the formal nights going. I wouldn't mind if, instead of, they increased the number of informal nights... and the minimum code would be jacket and tie or just jacket... no exceptions... strictly enforced. No jeans either. It would still make for an elegant atmosphere.

I could of weeks ago I went for dinner at the Coral Island Club here in Bermuda. Jackets MUST be worn. No exceptions. Dinner was outside and it was a typical warm Bermuda evening. Sure it was a bit uncomfortable... just a bit... but the Club rules are strictly enforced. It was a very elegant evening. Even the staff were wearing jackets and ties.

So, lets go for the 'informal'.... but make it stick. What do you think?

Kryos.........

My prediction is the next to go bye-bye is Informal .....Formal will remain, at least for the short term. IMO

I think informal is already gone on some of the ships ... to read what others are saying here.

Trust me ... mandatory formal nights will be gone within a year. With the new airline regulations regarding baggage allowances, they almost have to go away.

Of course, there will always be a venue to dressing up ... it just won't be mandatory any longer. I'm sure HAL will always have a couple of optional formal nights to keep those folks happy.

I'll be very interested to see whether we have any informal nights on my Amsterdam cruise in October. Betcha we don't. Also, then ... I guess I'm just stupid. I fail to see the difference between informal and casual and dress the exact same way for both.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree with you as to there being little (if any) difference between casual and Informal for women but for men, it would mean they would not have to bring a sports jacket/blazer if they planned to wear tuxedo for formal. I dress just about the same for Informal/casual.

We had one Informal Night on each of our Maasdam cruises and most of the men did wear a jacket but there was some grumbling about having to pack it for one night.

I agree with you as to there being little (if any) difference between casual and Informal for women but for men, it would mean they would not have to bring a sports jacket/blazer if they planned to wear tuxedo for formal. I dress just about the same for Informal/casual.

We had one Informal Night on each of our Maasdam cruises and most of the men did wear a jacket but there was some grumbling about having to pack it for one night.

That's why I've done away with packing the tux, take the dark suit and double up on the jacket for informal nights. Not as classy as it used to be but with today's restrictions it works.

[QUOTE]Just to clarify my post of yesterday.....there was not many people at all in jeans in the dining room. Most people were dressed casual but well. My gripe was the fact that the materials from HAL make it seem that more dress up clothes is required than is actually necessary. people were dressed much better than on the Voyager of the Seas last year.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for sharing!

I understand, and would be very upset as well if I had packed for the schedule you listed only to find fewer formal and informal days. In my personal experience, however, I've never had this happen on any of my HAL cruises. It may be that your cruise was a fumble, an accident, or that a Cruise Director decided s/he didn't want to have the number of days that was printed. VERY unfortunate and, in my opinion, wrong. If it were me I would have written a scathing remark about it on the comment card and in a letter to HAL HQ.

As for your displeasure with the Lido breakfast food ... most interesting, and contrary to the experience of most relative to the Lido. I think we should all keep in mind that food is a highly subjective thing -- what one person loves, another dislikes and what one person thinks of as variety, another person thinks of as being bland, uninspiring, or "too many choices!" In my own experience, HAL breakfast offerings have always been plentiful, tasty, and a true joy to consume. :) I usually have an omelet, fruit, bread, extra bacon, coffee and juice. What changes is the kind of omelet ... and, of course, sometimes I have scrambled eggs. Some people might get tired of having the choices I make every day ... but I enjoy it. :) I'm not cracking the eggs, scrambling them, frying the bacon, or toasting the bread .... :) I'm happy. :D I'm sorry it wasn't to your liking.

[QUOTE]With the restrictions on air travel today I think the relaxing of the dress code is a good thing. This doesn't mean sloppy is OK.[/QUOTE]

<sigh> Sadly, it DOES mean that sloppy will be [i]considered[/i] ok. While such is not what is intended, it [b]is[/b] what happens. :(

[QUOTE]Trust me ... mandatory formal nights will be gone within a year. With the new airline regulations regarding baggage allowances, they almost have to go away.[/QUOTE]

IF, by August 28, 2007, HAL's "Know Before You Go" Booklet has added some form of the term "optional" to formal nights, I'll buy you a drink. How's that sound?

I think you'll be buying ME one ... but we'll see, won't we? :D

Oh ... and what new airline regulations regarding baggage allowance are you talking about? Have the reduced the number or size or weight of the bags we can check???

[QUOTE]Of course, there will always be a venue to dressing up ... it just won't be mandatory any longer. I'm sure HAL will always have a couple of optional formal nights to keep those folks happy.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about my fellow HAL passengers, but I won't be very happy wearing formal clothing if about half of the passengers are sitting near-by, scratching their bellies through their tank-tops while burping and pointing at me and saying: "Who do they think THEY are, dressing up like that!!? Must be stuck-up snobs!"

[QUOTE]I'll be very interested to see whether we have any informal nights on my Amsterdam cruise in October. Betcha we don't. Also, then ... I guess I'm just stupid. I fail to see the difference between informal and casual and dress the exact same way for both.[/QUOTE]

This October?
We have 4 informal nights scheduled for us on the Zaandam to Hawaii. :D

As for the difference between informal and formal ... for guys, the difference is a jacket.

[quote name='revneal']I don't know about my fellow HAL passengers, but I won't be very happy wearing formal clothing if about half of the passengers are sitting near-by, scratching their bellies through their tank-tops while burping and pointing at me and saying: "Who do they think THEY are, dressing up like that!!? [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Must be stuck-up snobs!"[/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]"Must be stuck-up hoity toity's" Sir - And that's from Limburg, not Friesland![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Other recent posts on dress codes seem to indicate that most HAL passengers prefer to keep the formal, informal and casual codes. However, I have stated on two forums that I think the days of these mulitple codes is nearing an end. Having sailed Oceania twice I can confidently state that passengers dressed better on Regatta than on any mass cruise line and this was with the country club casual dress every night. The Europeans, especially the French and Italians, have learned the secret. Casual can be just as elegant as any formal dress. I think Americans have to start getting the hang of it but it will take time.
If HAL cannot get their act together on how many nights of formal, informal, etc. on their cruises, how can I be expected to pack for my 64 day cruise next year? One sport jacket for informal nights won't do it. But elegant casual and a few optional formal nights would make a lot of sense.

[quote name='amusea'] Casual can be just as elegant as any formal dress.

But elegant casual and a few optional formal nights would make a lot of sense.[/QUOTE]
Agreed! But HAL would have to have 'real' standards and enforce them to turn CCC into what it is on Oceania and other luxury lines. CCC is NOT 'casual with no shorts allowed' and enforcing codes and rules is definetely not a strong suit of HAL's.

[quote name='revneal']

Oh ... and what new airline regulations regarding baggage allowance are you talking about? Have the reduced the number or size or weight of the bags we can check???
[/quote]

Sigh. Unfortunately, yes. The airlines are now very strictly enforcing a 50 lb per bag limit and charging a bundle if you're over. Internationally, the limit on most of the airlines has now dropped to 50 lbs also, with some exceptions for first class or military travellers. The actual allowance can vary based on the origination or destination city, so you'd better be prepared to meet the strictest requirement. While 50 pounds sounds like a lot, it is surprisingly easy to go over that amount if you're using a large suitcase. The suitcase alone can weigh 9-12 pounds. We've changed our packing strategy. Rather than packing everything into one large checked bag and just enough in a carry-on bag so that if the luggage goes astray we're not out-of-luck, now we pack two medium size bags, one of which is just small enough to meet carry-on size limits. I'd rather not bring such a big carry-on bag on board, but that's a smaller problem than two people trying to lug three suitcases around.

Also, if you show up at curbside check in with an overweight bag, you're now directed to go and get in the huge baggage line inside -- that's what happened to the poor guy in front of me coming back from LAX two weeks ago. I wonder if he even made his flight.

But on the original formal clothes topic - my husband was very pleased with the rental tuxedo on our last cruise. He did bring his own shoes, but it sure saved a lot of space and weight not to have to lug along his formal wear.

Archived