Orlando - Ft Lauderdale?

mattR

Sailing on the Zuiederdam out of Ft Lauderdale on Dec 11th. We fly into Orlando on the 8th 130pm since we only have two days at the Parks (Universal/WDW) we will leave for Ft. Lauderdale around 8pm from Orlando on the 10th. Should I stop 3/4 of the way down and catch a hotel or should I go all they way and drop of the rental late and get a hotel near the peir? I've heard it's about 3.5 - 4hr drive is that on the toll Hwy or I 5 ?

If you take the Florida Turnpike all the way down to Ft Lauderdale or at least some place close and then find your motel it should take you about 4 hours. You can then get up the next morning, eat breakfast and take your rental car and drop it off. Most rental car companies will then provide drop off service to the pier at Ft Lauderdale. You may want to contact yours to verify they do but as I said most do. I know Budget does as we used it this May. ONe other possibility would be to stay in Orlando another night and get up relatively early the morning of the cruise and make the drive to Lauderdale. We live in Kissimmee and that is what we do when we cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. Most ships won't let you board until around Noon anyway so if you got up at 6 AM, did breakfast and coffee and hit the turnpike you would reach Ft Lauderdale when you need to. Doing this would avoid having to load stuff back into your rental car drive at night and then find another motel to stay in. Just a suggestion.

Have a great next cruise.

Avoid I95 at all costs! They have been doing construction on that road for the past 15 years and it never ends! Pay the extra money and get on the turnpike, and then it takes 3.5-4 hours, depending on how often you stop. It has taken us 5 on I95. Hope this helps...

Kerry

I live in Orlando and have made the drive to Ft. Lauderdale many times. If you don't mind paying the tolls (just under $10 at last check), you can pick up the Florida Turnpike within 10 miles of Disney. From there it is about a 3 to 3.5 hour trip to Ft. Lauderdale. The speed limit is 70mph most of the way and the distance is about 190 miles so I have often done it in 3 hours.

Hope this helps.

Another thought would be to stay in Orlando the night of the 10th and take the Holland America Line Motorcoach to Ft. Lauderdale. Cost of the motorcoach is $50 per person and must be booked through your TA (if you booked with one) or directly with Holland America Line if you didn't.

The coach will take you directly from Orlando to the pier.

The Motorcoach is round trip Orlando. If you are flying from Ft. Lauderdale after the cruise please advise the front desk that you will not be on the return coach to Orlando so that the coach doesn't wait for you on debarkation day.

Motorcoach service is only available to Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale or to Port Canaveral for Zaandam.

There is no refund given if you don't use the return trip.

You have received good advice from all the above posters. We live on the east coast and use the turnpike to Orlando often. If it were me, I would stay over in Orlando and leave early the next morning (the day of embarkation) and drive to the pier area rental car sites. Rental agencies have shuttles to the pier. and embarkation does not start until around 11:30 a.m. Exit signs to Port Everglades are clear and understandable on the Tpke. We now take the bus to the pier (parking there has become a hassle), but the bus is not always on time. I'd rather go to the rental car agency. Plan on 4 hours max. There is rarely a tie up on the Tpke. Just my opinion. You have comfortable options. Have a great cruise.

Where is the motorcoach caught Airport???

I think we will drive most of the way the night before as we are not morning people and will probably sleep better if I know I'm pretty close to the ship. Is there easy access to hotels from the Turnpike about 3 hrs south of Disney? Will just catch a cheap hotel as we will get there late and be gone once we wake up? Any specific town/area that would be good to stop at.

3 hours south of Disney would probably take you into West Palm Beach. Lots of hotel/motels there since it's near the airport. Before that Vero Beach or Port St. Lucie would be a good choice. But since you are so close, why not go into Ft. Lauderdale and find a place there. There are lots of choices because of the port and airport. Driving the Tpke is an easy drive.

I live in West Palm....I think you have a good idea to head down to Ft. Lauderdale and get a hotel near the pier in Port Everglades. You don't want to be dealing with morning traffic accidents and highway closures and you want to avoid I-95 at all costs. The Turnpike is way out west and most of that area is residential and newly developed, not a lot of hotel choices. There are quite a few hotels really close to the pier. 17th St Causeway is a nice area with lots of activity - hotesl, restaurants, shopping, etc. It will take you at least 3.5 hours from Orlando to FLL. Here is some hotels close to the pier : http://www.porteverglades.org/miles-to-hotels.htm

Just so you know, I did not make it up, I have often done the trip in 3 hours. I double checked the distance and it is 200 miles (I had guessed 190), I have driven it at between 70-75mph... So, therefore the trip in 3 hours can be done.

I used to travel this route every week over a six month period of time. I can practically do the drive in my sleep...

Just so you know, I did not make it up, I have often done the trip in 3 hours. I double checked the distance and it is 200 miles (I had guessed 190), I have driven it at between 70-75mph... So, therefore the trip in 3 hours can be done.

I used to travel this route every week over a six month period of time. I can practically do the drive in my sleep...

Is that strictly turnpike? Coming from Orlando, you have to take Osceola Pkwy and then once in Ft. Lauderdale you have to take Rt. 535 (I think that's it) which would make up the extra hour. Did your route start with Osceola? Or is that route only when you leave DisneyWorld?

I was considering picking up the Florida Turnpike off of I-4, this is just one or two exits from the International Drive area where a lot of the tourists stay while in Orlando. I wasn't considering from Disney property. There are so many places to stay in the area but I still think the biggest concentration is near the International Drive area, which is very near the Turnpike. From there it is 70mph (or some go faster) from there.

Archived