What Is The Condition of The VOYAGER

bogie113

I just read a post about a sailing on the Navigator. They were saying how shabby the ship has gotten and that it is going into drydock for refurbishment. Some went on to say that the Voyager and Navigator are in the same condition with dirty thread bear carpeting, drapery, upholstery, etc.

I would really appreciate hearing what other people who have recently sailed on Voyager thought.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Bogie

The Voyager is going into dry dock on November 20 - 30. I understand that all the suites are getting flat screen TVs, and I assume worn carpeting will be replaced. Anybody know of any other major repairs or replacements?

HXK

I was on Voyager 2 weeks ago and the carpets looked soiled in spots in the public areas but not bad. I had dinner with the Hotel Director and he told us that all the mattresses would be replaced when the ship went into dry dock in November. I believe he also said all the bedspreads and linens were being replaced also.

I am really disturbed to hear that the refurbishment will take place AFTER my 11/04 cruise. We just spoke with friends who returned from a 2 week Regent Alaska Cruise and said the ship was "shabby". They would give the cruise maybe 4 stars definitely not a 5 or 6. They were expecting the Ritz and got the Marriot. We have been loyal Seabourn fans and were hoping that Regent would be an equivalent alternative. We know there are more people but we were hoping for the same level of service. Our friends said that in 2 weeks the staff still never knew their names, they still had to request certain things over and over, the food was ordinary and they would never book Regent again. I was frankly hoping that since this was the Presidents Cruise the quality and service would be impeccable.

For your info, the Alaska cruise was the Mariner,not the Voyager, so even though they are the same company, you cannot compare everything between the ships. They are different ages and staff does vary. I am sorry that your friends had such a bad experience with service. I have never had a cabin attendant not know my name after the first day on any of the Regent ships.

I hope you keep an open mind. I am sure you will enjoy it.

We were on the Voyager from August 12 - 19th and had a wonderful cruise. I was one of the people commenting on the condition of the ship -- however, it did not detract from the experience. The carpets are not exactly "worn" -- it looks like there are rather large water stains on them. The mattresses need replacing but are comfortable.

Besides from the fact that it needs some refurbishment, the ship is really great! The service was extraordinary - food was wonderful (except in La Veranda during lunch). The ship was only built in 2003 -- it isn't like it is run down. I would rather see a few slightly worn items and have great service than have poor service and new carpets!

Knowing what we know now -- I would go on another cruise prior to dry dock. We have now gone on two Regent cruises and have another one (Navigator) booked in March, 2007. Go -- have a great time (just ignore the carpets:D )

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on Voyager in June and Mariner just last week. I did not find either ship in any kind of disrepair.

My Voyager cruise was utter perfection in June and even last week's Mariner experience was wonderful - until the last day when the ship broke down. Service was impeccable other than in one minor instance.

What I have found is that if you board the ships and you stay relatively aloof, the staff will do the same, taking their cue from you. If you are friendly with them, you are inviting them to get to know you. I frequently have had staff remember me from one cruise to another.

• 1 month later...

I read this thread prior to going on our cruise (Athens to Rome 10/06) and was concerned about the condition of the ship. Just got off the Voyager and I'm happy to report that other than some very minor wear and tear, the ship was in excellent condition. I would not called it shabby in the least....We were actually amazed that they were putting it in drydock and refurbishing it! Can't wait to see it after the fact!

We followed Trevsmom and boarded at Rome en route to Nice the following week. In view of the comments about stained carpets, I took particular notice. There were no stains. As with all good carpeting the pile shades, as it does in my home, as the nap brushes away in one direction or another. This may have caused confusion with shading and stain marks. I can assure everyone there are no stain marks.

We followed Trevsmom and boarded at Rome en route to Nice the following week. In view of the comments about stained carpets, I took particular notice. There were no stains. As with all good carpeting the pile shades, as it does in my home, as the nap brushes away in one direction or another. This may have caused confusion with shading and stain marks. I can assure everyone there are no stain marks.

Although I have never seen pile on carpeting that creates the "look" of the carpeting on the Voyager. I do have photos but do not know how to upload them onto this site. If someone would like to send me an e-mail, I can attach the photo's and, hopefully, can help figure it out. It is really quite amazing that some of us see stains and others do not.... almost like an impressionist painting. :confused:

Jackie

tame_jade@yahoo.com

Like much of life, even on the same ship we all experience her somewhat differently. Even little pockets of life strike each of us differently.

When I read these posts I thought back to the Navigator crossing where we experienced flooding on deck 6. Carpeting in the most effected cabins was replaced before embarkation of the next cruise. Those folks would have been welcomed by sparkling new carpet, while others across the hall might have noticed stains on the more aged carpeting. Come to think of it, I'm in one of those cabins on the upcoming crossing. Hope we don't have a repeat flooding!

I've also noticed that cruise directors and staff make a big difference in name recognition. I sailed with one cd for a total of 23 nights on 2 different cruises and she couldn't have picked us out of a crowd, much less greeted us by name. (Thank goodness she's gone) On other cruises, it's a first name basis for all.

Even with the warts and bumps, I still haven't found a cruise line I like better than Regent. Of course, I haven't really tried. :-)

JoneAn

We've taken many cruises on both RSSC and on Seabourn. On our most recent Seabourn Pride cruise in June, rain poured into our suite through the ceiling during a rain storm and there were buckets catching ceiling leaks in the corridors throughout the cruise. We have also been on a Seabourn cruise during which all of the corridor carpets were replaced while we were on board. None of these problems has ever occured during any of our RSSC cruises. I would prefer to have shabby carpeting than to have a flood or to have to walk around dripping ceilings or workmen replacing carpets.

Both cruise lines are good. Neither is perfect.

Archived