Lost luggage from Alaska cruise into Portland, Or?

bettyonboard

Some friends flew into Portland, OR from Vancouver from an Alaskan cruise which I believe was aboard the Sapphire Princess. I was not on this cruise, but their luggage was not aboard the ship, as they thought it should have been .In fact most on board from this cruise had lost luggage. They were told their luggage did not make it on board the plane because of lack of room. Has anyone ever heard of this? She said they took her luugage at 10:00 friday night, and was docked at 6pm..ish. Any help on info would be great. I wasnt there, so I do not know. Thank you.

I live in a city with a small airport. Most of our planes are 50 passenger planes (regional jets). My bags have often been delayed coming home from trips (thankfully not going). The local airlines have explained to me if the plane is full - they often don't have the weight capacity to take all the luggage. If the airline has to choose between people or luggage - they take passengers and put the luggage on the next flight. This seems to go against all the airline rules I have heard that the luggage must fly with the person but local airline people have used this excuse many times with me when my luggage is delayed.

I have been extremely fortunate that my luggage hasn't been delayed going to trips but I always fly in a day or so early just in case.

Some friends flew into Portland, OR from Vancouver from an Alaskan cruise which I believe was aboard the Sapphire Princess. I was not on this cruise, but their luggage was not aboard the ship, as they thought it should have been .In fact most on board from this cruise had lost luggage. They were told their luggage did not make it on board the plane because of lack of room. Has anyone ever heard of this? She said they took her luugage at 10:00 friday night, and was docked at 6pm..ish. Any help on info would be great. I wasnt there, so I do not know. Thank you.
I'm confused. Did they use the special Princess baggage transfers at Vancouver? How did they know that most people on the cruise had lost luggage if they had already disembarked? (That would be thousands and thousands of pieces of luggage lost and you could bet we would have heard about it on the boards.) They put their luggage out at 10PM Friday night and the ship docked at 6PM the next night so they were without their luggage onboard the ship for almost a full day?

I know you weren't there but some of this isn't making any sense to me. From the little I do understand, it sounds like they have an issue with their airline. Did they book their air through Princess? Whether they did or not, they should put a claim in with the airline.

All that I know is that the ship docked at 6pm, the luggage was taken at 10pm. Passengers that were at the Portland airport, (more than a couple) waiting to get their luggage watched the carasel (?) go around empty. The airline said the all the luggage was going on a later flight. I am sure that is is not the cruise lines fault. I dont want to start a riot, just looking for information.

Did they carry their own bags to the airport to be checked? In Vancouver, supposedly there is a deal where the bags can be sent ahead to the airport, but I assume that they still have to claim their bags and carry them through some sort of customs inspection.

Did they carry their own bags to the airport to be checked? In Vancouver, supposedly there is a deal where the bags can be sent ahead to the airport, but I assume that they still have to claim their bags and carry them through some sort of customs inspection.

Rob.. Using the Princess deal, your luggage goes directly from the ship to your home airport. You get on a bus and they seal it and the next time they open the doors, a custom agent is there to check you. Your luggage goes on a truck straight to the Vancouver airport. Look here for info..

http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/onboard/index.asp

It sounds like this doesn't have anything to do with Princess. If I'm reading this right nobody on the airplane got their luggage, which makes it an airline issue. I have had this happen once before on Northwest, where only 10 bags total came off the full flight with 100 passengers on it. Usually the excuse when this happens is that the plane was overweight - in our case it was they just forgot to load the luggage on the plane.

FYI. This trip (Whttier to Vancouver) docks in Vancouver arount 0700 hrs and 1800 hrs. That said, either princess was late in getting luggage to the airport or as others said the airlines did not load it.

Not to worry, it will turn up. We had friends have to leave their lugage with the ship line in southampton in order to make their flight back to America. Lugage arived the next day. I once mistakenly brought someone elses look-alike suitcase to LAX after a Mexican riviera trip. Gave the bag to the Princess rep at the airport, explained the deal, called the 1-800 number and filed a left luggage report and headed home. Bag arrived by DHL express in 3 days. Was planning to pull the same thing coming off the Crown in Brooklyn but figured a report of 4 left bags might sound fishy!

Thank you to everyone that responded. just want to make it very very clear, this is NOT a complaint against princess. We are just trying to answer the agonizing question...why?

Unfortunately you'll never know. As I said, in my case it was just some ground workers who were too lazy to load the plane.

Have they gotten their luggage yet?

Archived