Is Independent Touring OK on river cruises?

Raphy

We have not taken a river cruise & are considering one.

We enjoy independent Touring with other like minded couples.

However we see river cruises that include the tour bus for each port.

We would like some feedback from folks who have done independent tours while on river cruises.

Also, which cruise line might cater to vegetarian menu needs?

Thanks.

Raphy

Raphy,

I´d say that all river cruise companies focused on the US market do include the shore tours (or at least the basic ones). All German cruise companies do not include the shore tours (with some you can book a tour package, others you book each shore tour seperately). I assume that the German/European traveler is used to travel more indepent and the US traveler prefers to have all well organized (maybe to see as much as he can in his limited vacation time).

Sure you can tour most of the river towns on your own. I´ve included links to public transportation, independant city tours and more in my review about our recent cruise on Deilmann´s Mozart. I´ve also given informations about several ports (Passau, Regensburg, Kelheim, Riedenburg) in another thread. Plan your trip, check the websites of the river towns, order free brochures... As we are traveling with our 6 years old DD we do not go on any shore tours as she won´t be interested in a 3 hour walking city tour at her age. So we tried to combine sightseeing and her needs when exploring the towns.

But, as you stated all US river cruise companies do include the shore tours and it won´t make much sense to pay for it and not going on it. The German cruise company Deilmann which is also plying the US market does not include the shore tours.

Yes, all river cruise companies usually do offer a Vegetarian option for dinner (lunch and breakfast are usually buffet style).

steamboats

Check out these cruise operators. They cater to the American market and have well-organized, inclusive tours. That said, we were able to go our own way. However, some berthing areas are quite a distance from the port of the day - for example, when we were in Austria, Salzburg was about a 1.5 hour drive from the ship to the city. However, once the bus got to town, off we went on our own and returned in time to catch the bus. Another day, we bailed on the included tour and took a train to a nearby town and just winged it. Worse case, if you miss a bus you can always take a train to the next port of call! Nothing is very far apart (I'm a Texan so distances are relative, I suppose!). Thoroughly enjoy river cruising as it is a good way to see the highlights and some of the most beautiful scenery about! Have not taken Deilmann because it's a bit pricey and they let people smoke.

Absolutely you can venture out on your own. hybrn8 said it very well. We took a Uniworld cruise and loved it. We almost always go our own way once we arrive at the next stop. We usually prefer seeing more or different things than the general organized walking tours. We always enjoy getting off the beaten path so to speak. It is no problem as long as you check to make sure what time you must be back to the ship or bus.

On our cruise, there was always one vegetarian entree option for dinner, but not vegan. Of course, there were always salads too.

Check out these cruise operators. They cater to the American market and have well-organized, inclusive tours. That said, we were able to go our own way. However, some berthing areas are quite a distance from the port of the day - for example, when we were in Austria, Salzburg was about a 1.5 hour drive from the ship to the city. However, once the bus got to town, off we went on our own and returned in time to catch the bus. Another day, we bailed on the included tour and took a train to a nearby town and just winged it. Worse case, if you miss a bus you can always take a train to the next port of call! Nothing is very far apart (I'm a Texan so distances are relative, I suppose!). Thoroughly enjoy river cruising as it is a good way to see the highlights and some of the most beautiful scenery about! Have not taken Deilmann because it's a bit pricey and they let people smoke.

:o Thanks so much for your reply.

Smoking is a BIG issue for us as we are both allergic to it, so most American market cruises are best for us. I get sick if I sit anyplace but front seat on big buses, so the bus tours are not for us. We don't mind getting a taxi (non-smoking) in ports.

Your info was very helpful as we are newbies to river cruising & have only experienced ocean cruises.

Anyother info would be so much appreciated.:o

Raphy

I so much appreciate your reply & the smoking info as we will stay away from Deilmann.:)

Raphy

Raphy,

I´d say that all river cruise companies focused on the US market do include the shore tours (or at least the basic ones). All German cruise companies do not include the shore tours (with some you can book a tour package, others you book each shore tour seperately). I assume that the German/European traveler is used to travel more indepent and the US traveler prefers to have all well organized (maybe to see as much as he can in his limited vacation time).

Sure you can tour most of the river towns on your own. I´ve included links to public transportation, independant city tours and more in my review about our recent cruise on Deilmann´s Mozart. I´ve also given informations about several ports (Passau, Regensburg, Kelheim, Riedenburg) in another thread. Plan your trip, check the websites of the river towns, order free brochures... As we are traveling with our 6 years old DD we do not go on any shore tours as she won´t be interested in a 3 hour walking city tour at her age. So we tried to combine sightseeing and her needs when exploring the towns.

But, as you stated all US river cruise companies do include the shore tours and it won´t make much sense to pay for it and not going on it. The German cruise company Deilmann which is also plying the US market does not include the shore tours.

Yes, all river cruise companies usually do offer a Vegetarian option for dinner (lunch and breakfast are usually buffet style).

steamboats

Many thanks for the helpful info. My replies to the other 2 posts don't need repeating here and they also apply. Your suggestions about the port websites re-nforces my travel research web "addiction".

Raphy

I get sick if I sit anyplace but front seat on big buses, so the bus tours are not for us.
You just might be able to get that front seat for included bus tours. It is often saved for those that have a handicap of some type. I'm sure fellow cruisers would understand your need for that seat and gladly let you have it.

Raphy,

Currently the German government is discussing new laws to ban smoking and I´m sure Deilmann will change its smoking policy. Currently smoking is allowed in certain designated areas (in the lounge in front of the restaurant, in the bar, in the right side of the Panorama Lounge and on the Sun Deck). Smoking is definetly not allowed in the cabins and in the aisles. Usually on cruises advertised on the US market with more US passengers there´s less smoking than on those Deilmann cruises with more European/German passengers. I do not like smoking too and hopefully this law will be effective by Jan 1 2007.

steamboats

We have not taken a river cruise & are considering one.

However we see river cruises that include the tour bus for each port.

Raphy

The wonderful thing about river cruises in Europe is that they stop at many small towns along the rivers as well as a few large cities. Bus tours are only used in the large cities, like Nurremburg, Vienna and Budapest, where the important sights are spread out over the city. The large cities have subway systems where you could easily go off on your own and see the sights you are interested in rather than the "overview" bus tour provided by the river cruise company. But in most towns the tours are walking tours right off the boat, so no buses are involved. In a couple of towns the ship provided an open air tram -- like the old parking lot trams at Disneyland, only smaller and cuter Mercedes versions -- to move passengers up-hill from the river bank to a sight. In one instance on our trip a bus was used to quickly (less than 5 minutes) transport passengers directly to an abbey, but they had a passenger van, too, for those who had health or mobility issues.

You would need to pay attention to any stop where a bus is used to transport passengers to interior towns, like to Rothenburg, and then on to a place further up river to meet the ship which sailed during the day. In that case, your choice would be to suffer the bus trip or stay on the ship and miss a whole day of sight-seeing. So, you probably should discuss each stop with the cruise company before you book and choose an itinerary that doesn't include such day trips away from the river.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 12 night Rhine riverboat trip on Tuesday, and there were many times where passangers left on bus to sightsee and ship sailed. We met them further down the Rhine. Sometimes it was a small town, sometimes it was an obscure dock that wasn't really a town at all. I'd say to leave your independent touring to only those places where the ship stays in that port.

• 3 weeks later...

Raphy,

We also suffer from allergies to smoke. Viking was great for us. Smoking was restricted to a small section of the deck and smoking was not allowed on any of the tour buses.

Many times we would venture away from the organized tours as did many people on our vessel. We would always confirm with the front desk where we could meet the bus and/or the vessel.

We did our River Cruise back in 2003 and hope to do another one - health permitting - in about a month. If our opinion changes, I'll post an update.

(Venturagirl - I know you are just back from a cruise. Please let Raphy know if the smoking policy has changed.)

Raphy,

We also suffer from allergies to smoke. Viking was great for us. Smoking was restricted to a small section of the deck and smoking was not allowed on any of the tour buses.

Many times we would venture away from the organized tours as did many people on our vessel. We would always confirm with the front desk where we could meet the bus and/or the vessel.

We did our River Cruise back in 2003 and hope to do another one - health permitting - in about a month. If our opinion changes, I'll post an update.

(Venturagirl - I know you are just back from a cruise. Please let Raphy know if the smoking policy has changed.)

Smoking was only allowed by Viking on the walk-around promenade deck outside the lounge and on the Sun Deck. Smoking was not permitted anywhere inside the ship and not on the buses either. :)

Archived