Will (Can) RCI Stretch the Monarch

Will (Can) RCI Stretch the Monarch  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will (Can) RCI Stretch the Monarch

• No, its to costly/hard
    • Maybe
    • RCI is blowing smoke cause no Voy.class out West
    • Thats a fact Jack (Yes)

I don't really think it's the best idea, though. Unless they add a third dining room, to accomodate even more staterooms and pax. Plus, a whole lot more public space, it's already crowded as it is.

I don't remember what year, was it 2003 :confused: when they moved her out here? At that time, they took out the movie theatre to accomodate more inside cabins. To me, the capacity is at its max now for public space.

She's a fun ship to sail for a few days, I think it would hurt, not enhance, the itinerary and the cruise experience.

Doesn't make sense to stretch a ship that is over 15 years old and is sailing the short three and four day cruises. I don't see RCI keeping this ship long enough to get a return on their investment of doing this. Not even sure if this ship can be cut in half. I don't think that the Sovereign class were built to be stretched.

as i understand it that class of ship has its engines midships instead of at the stern, which makes stretching it a major problem because the engines would have to be relocated. just take that old timer away from the west coast and bring us one that is more up to date. the monarch has already paid for herself over and over again:)

Guest LetMeGo
Doesn't make sense to stretch a ship that is over 15 years old and is sailing the short three and four day cruises. I don't see RCI keeping this ship long enough to get a return on their investment of doing this. Not even sure if this ship can be cut in half. I don't think that the Sovereign class were built to be stretched.

How many ships do you know that were designed to be cut in half? :D

Ships are actually pretty easy to cut. They are built in sections that support the weight as a freestanding structure, and they have vertical bulkheads to divide the ship in about 50 yard long indiividual pieces... All you have to do is cut it in one of those points, add a whole new section between two existing ones, and reconnect those few hundred pipes and thousand electrical cables. Just like they did with Enchantment.;)

RCL seems to be just about the only company that regularily streches its ships , so I wouldn't find it enirely impossible. It would however be quite an odd choice for the extension because it's stationed on the other side of the continent... Instead of the 51 days required for Enchantment, it would take some 60-65 days on an LA based ship to be extended in Europe where the experience is.

If they are planning to move it to the East coast after being replaced by a Voygaer class ship, it would actually make some sense to extend it... From a financial point of view, adding a 70 some feet section like the Enchantment had, would add 300 paying passengers, while the added fuel and crew costs would be pretty much zero. 300 passengers means $300,000 a week, or $15 million a year. The cost of the drydocking time would be repayed after the first year, and it would take another two years to pay for the actual extension section... By the fourth year it would be making extra profit for the company. Even if the ship was sold before it woud be paid completely, It would mean a bigger price.

Just curious...

How would they get a Voyager Class ship to the west coast? Going around SA could be an option, but Cape Horn can be unpreditable. I know there are plans to widen the Panama Canal, however that has not started yet and could take years.

I really dont think it is going to happen. To start off, the ship is already 880 feet in length, they really cannot add that much length to make it worthwhile and still be able to transit the Panama Canal. Nowadays, anything really can be modified/changed/lengthened/shortened, the possibilities are endless. But the real question is, is it worth it?..........My opinion as far as looks go, the Sovereign class from an outside standpoint is one of the prettiest classes of ships afloat, that will be lost in the stretch. One vote for they will not do it.....

Guest LetMeGo
I really dont think it is going to happen. To start off, the ship is already 880 feet in length, they really cannot add that much length to make it worthwhile and still be able to transit the Panama Canal. Nowadays, anything really can be modified/changed/lengthened/shortened, the possibilities are endless. But the real question is, is it worth it?..........My opinion as far as looks go, the Sovereign class from an outside standpoint is one of the prettiest classes of ships afloat, that will be lost in the stretch. One vote for they will not do it.....

Enchantment of the Seas was lenghtened by what... 73'? A similar section could easily be added to Monarch as well, and it would still be able to transit the Panama canal.

As to whether they will actually do it... I doubt not.

It's more likely they would extended the Voyager class when it was their turn to be drydocked. It should be relatively easy, as they already have the plans for that extension (ie. Freedom). :D

Just curious...

How would they get a Voyager Class ship to the west coast? Going around SA could be an option, but Cape Horn can be unpreditable. I know there are plans to widen the Panama Canal, however that has not started yet and could take years.

Last year certain RCI officials stated that the Navigator would be on the West coast in 2007. They tend to cater to what the cruisers want to hear.

Enchantment of the Seas was lenghtened by what... 73'? A similar section could easily be added to Monarch as well, and it would still be able to transit the Panama canal.

As to whether they will actually do it... I doubt not.

It's more likely they would extended the Voyager class when it was their turn to be drydocked. It should be relatively easy, as they already have the plans for that extension (ie. Freedom). :D

I know the Freedom class is reffered to as the "Ultra Voyager" is it not also wider though?.......

I know the Freedom class is reffered to as the "Ultra Voyager" is it not also wider though?.......

Freedom of the Seas is 185 feet wide, merely 27 feet wider than the Voyager ships, but that additional width gives Freedom's interiors a more spacious look ...

Yes, you get the prize.....

Wow I didn't think of that - but it'd be great! They could add Flowriders too! :D

Maybe i am just dumb, i dont know. How do they already have the plans/designs to stretch a Voyager class ship based on the Freedoms design?......If it is in fact wider as well, then no they dont?.......I mean, 27 feet wider can make a huge difference when it is multiplied by the amount of decks and length of the ship. I am not saying that it cannot be done, i just dont see how they can base it on the Freedom class plans when they dont have the same width......

as I understand the technical difficulties in stretching monarch or her sister is that she, as were her sisters, was built in France and built from the keel up the length of the ship. the enchantment and her sisters were built in finland by the method of complete sections from keel up to upper decks that were then placed going out from the center to bow and to stern. a ship built that way is easy to cut at any of the sections and add a new section or 2. that ease of cutting does not exist with a ship built from keel up. it can be done, but much more complicated and expensive.

Doesn't make sense to stretch a ship that is over 15 years old and is sailing the short three and four day cruises. I don't see RCI keeping this ship long enough to get a return on their investment of doing this.

I agree Gordon and feel that she should be retired and replaced :)

###

Just curious...

Queen Mary did that route this summer, it can be done :D

###

Archived