Cheap hotel near YVR pier?

awaflyboy

See what you can do with Priceline.com. We used them in 2003 for a hotel room the night before our back-to-back cruise on the Dawn Princess and got the Hyatt for $80.00 a night.

I think that hotel room prices have gone up considerably. Check out "Biddingfortravel.com" and read up on what prices and quality have been lately before bidding on Priceline.

Roberta

There aren't any inexpensive hotels in Vancouver, and especially not near the pier. Vancouver is a lovely, but pricey, city.

Roz

So true and we are finding this the case almost every city anymore if you want to be anywhere near a port: prices for hotels have sky rocketed in the past few years. Even little ole Hampton Inns, our favorite cheap hotel, have rates above $100 in almost every city, even small towns. NYC we paid (well we didn't pay, cause we used HHilton points) $300 last year for the Hampton Inn in the Chelsea area. Good luck if you can find anything in Vancouver at a reasonable rate. of course I don't know what you call reasonable.

NMNnita

I also recommend one of the major discounters. I have used both Priceline and Hotwire for Vancouver and have been able to get hotels for under $100. If there is just 1 or 2 of you and one bed is fine go with Priceline. If there are 3 or more then go with Hotwire.

Any suggestions for a nice, inexpensive hotel to stay at that's close to the Canada Place Cruise Terminal?

We just stayed at the Qualilty Inn, Airport, 725 Southeast Marine Drive for four days, $99.00 Canadian per night. We stayed there on the night before we cruised as well. They have a complimentary airport shuttle to pick you up at the airport, and they charge $11.00 pp for a noon dropoff at Canada Place. We took advantage of this, and the timing was perfect. It was only about ten minutes from dropoff until we were having lunch in the Lido.

A taxi from this hotel to the pier would be $25 to $35 Canadian.

This hotel is older, but it is neat, clean and comfortable, but no pool.

Hotels everywhere are pricey these days but at least in Vancouver the price is for the room, not per person as it is elsewhere. We were looking at a cruise around South America and they wanted $500 per person for a hotel in Rio - this was booking with HAL for air and hotel. A thousand dollars US per night? just for a hotel room? No thank you.

Hotels everywhere are pricey these days but at least in Vancouver the price is for the room, not per person as it is elsewhere. We were looking at a cruise around South America and they wanted $500 per person for a hotel in Rio - this was booking with HAL for air and hotel. A thousand dollars US per night? just for a hotel room? No thank you.

I don't blame you; when I was still working for a major hotel chain and people wanted to book one night in San Juan prior to a cruise, the prices were so high that one night could run as much as 1/2 the price of the cruise. Of course this was San Juan and high season. Now the same thing can be said for low season and Mobile Alabama. LOL

The other thing to remember is that downtown Vancouver isn't that big.

We stayed at the Sheraton Wall Centre once (a great Priceline rate) -- right in the middle of the financial district, pretty high-end. We waited in line a while to check in (they do a big convention business I guess) and there wasn't a whole lot right around it that we were interested in. Great beds, though.

On another trip we ended up in the Best Western Sands on Davie Street, right across from English Bay. It was only a 2 1/2 star hotel, but it was very clean, close to wonderful shops (my daughter still remembers the amazing gelatto around the corner and the Cupcakes shop) and just a few blocks to Stanley Park. As a bonus, we were there one of the summer nights that Vancouver has an amazing fireworks display from a barge in English Bay -- tens of thousands of people gather for this, and we could see it from our hotel.

I think that our cab ride for four of us to Canada Place cost somewhere around $12.

I wouldn't worry about distance or time anywhere in the downtown area.

I would agree with the others who suggested Priceline or Hotwire - anything in the downtown area would not be that far from Canada Place.

We stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle in 2004 - not sure what the rack rates are like, as we won it through Hotwire. It was a very nice, business-oriented hotel - great for a couple nights stay, and a couple blocks for Canada Place. I'm guessing its less pricey than the other hotels in the area, although it probably wouldn't be 'cheap' - that will be hard to find near the pier.

Good luck! :)

I don't know what anyone means by "cheap". It could mean something to one person and not the same to another. However, be that as it may, Priceline is the way to go and checking with bidding for travel first is also the thing to do. This past May we came back from an Alaskan cruise and stayed at The Westin Bayshore and got it through priceline for $65.00. In the past we have also stayed at The Blue Horizon right on Robson street in the middle of town. I don't know exactly what we paid, but it was "reasonable". And just to repeat what someone else above said, the downtown area is only a short distance from most of the hotels and the port, and public transportation in Vancouver is excellent. ;)

I had booked at Days Inn.............but I do NOT like Days Inns........they had only one room with one bed left. Booked in June for Aug. 19.

The more I thought about it (my adult daughter and I) I wanted a better start for our cruise (her first).

I can't stand the Priceline bidding stuff and the reports on here weren't encouraging.

Loved where we stayed............Marriott Pinnacle..........view, room, gym, beds, and we walked to the ship with our luggage the next morning.

Actually, at $223. CAD, it was less than others that close BUT there are tons of taxes added on. It was something like $260. + when we checked out.

Vancouver has become a VERY expensive city but it has lots to offer

and

once you board, everything's free (once it's paid for, I forget it did cost money;) )

GTVCruiser:

"What is there to do in that area?"

Well, nothing comes to mind except a trip across the road to the local Great Canadian Superstore, a sort of big box supermarket.

Although it sounds as if the motel has had serious upgrading lately, it is in a low-end residential neighbourhood, light years away from Canada Place, on a stretch of road that gets a racecourse of rush hour traffic morning and night.

Archived