Jewelry Shopping in Turkey or Italy

I wondered if any of you know if gold jewelry is a bargain in either Turkey or Italy. I'll be there in October on the Grand Princess and would like to buy a bracelet. If you know of any special places, it would be appreciated.

HI! I wanted to purchase a gold bracelet in Europe as well, but I found the gold In Italy to be very expensive, and in fact a 14k map of Italy charm was running between 100-125 Euros for a decent one, but if you are looking for a momento of your trip some might think prices are well within the limits. I personally did not buy any gold in Europe, waited until I got home and bought the same charm on ebay for much less, and it is very nice. I think that Arezzo in Italy is the place to buy gold, but it is inland and not near the ports. Somewhere in these boards, I read that gold in Turkey is less, but you need to know just what you are looking at. Happy shopping, and have a great vacation.

Barb

The main reason why gold is more expensive in Europe (apart from exchange rates, competition, etc.) is the fact that nearly all gold sold in Europe is 18K gold (therefore, a much higher actual gold content), while in the United States, nearly all gold sold is the lower-content 14K variety (except in fine jewelry stores such as Tiffany, Cartier, etc. where it is also 18K).

14K gold (which in the United States has always been extremely popular) is virtually unheard of here in Europe.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I will default to my wife on jewelry and she likes the gold jewelry best in Greece (particularly in Athens and on Mykonos). Between Italy and Turkey she favors Italy since she has not been all that happy about the quality of some of the Turkish products.

Hank

I agree with your wife. I like the jewelry in Greece. They have unique and creative designs.

As for the 14K vs. 18K. In the malls in the US it's mostly 14K, Walmart and other discount stores' jewelry is only 10K, but the nice jewelry stores in the US sell 18K or platinum.

I purchased a pair of earrings in both Athens and Istanbul, and they are my favorite jewelry of all.

The earrings from Athens are from the Plaka shopping area, cost me $150, are 14k gold, and are a long (over 1 inch) teardrop shape with a Greek key design. Very distinctive.

The other from Istanbul are a circle of Turkish sapphires, very dark blue, with 14k gold around. They have a high quality CZ in the center, because the jeweler said they would be way too expensive with a diamond. They cost $425. Turkey is known for it's sapphires.

I bought both pair on the same trip in 1999, so that gives you an idea of cost today (higher). European jewelry is not bargain prices, but you will never see the designs in the U.S. The jewelry you buy there is always very distinctive and elegant.

We've found Italy to cost less for 18K gold pieces than 18K gold in the US.

Our favorite jeweler in Florence is Ugo Puccini and since he manufactures his own designs, when a few links of my bracelet had to be removed because it was too big on me, we weighed the leftover pieces and credited us the amount on the price.

Thanks for all your comments. When I was in Dubai, I bought 18K gold handmade jewelry at much less than it costs in the US and was hoping to find something similar in Turkey (or elsewhere) on this cruise.

A fellow cruiser showed us a ring which was very well made which he bought in Kusadasi. It looked like gold, with a blue stone (maybe sapphire) and some inlaid mother of pearl. It was attractive.He paid $250 which was 1/4 of the original price - so bargain hard.

Having lived in Turkey for a couple of years, I can tell you that lots of my fellow Americans....as well as a lot of Europeans....were buying gold jewelry. I asked one of the jewelers in a shop near our home why prices were so much cheaper than in Europe and the U.S., and he told me that while the price of the gold itself is controlled by the market...the cost of labor is a reflection of the local situation. The cost of the workmanship is lower in Turkey, therefore the prices the jewelers are willing to accept will be lower. (Yes, you can bargain in almost any shop.)

Made sense to me :D .

I personally believe that you will find the best quality and prices if you get out of the main tourist areas.

Hope that helps!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

A subject near and dear to my heart.

I was told many times by jewelers in Italy that they only sell 18kt gold. I don't think the point is that the jewelry is cheaper there. I think the pieces I got were a little bit cheaper, but not significantly.

The point is that they have designs that are somewhat uncommon than that you can you get in the US. If you are looking for basic designs like rope and box chains you might as well get them in the US.

I got a heavy spectacular piece of serious gold mesh necklace while vacationing in Florence last year. Stay off the Ponte Vecchio - you get better deals on the side street. We went to a jeweler near the Academia. This year I got nice cameo earrings in Venice in heavy-duty gold setting.

You didn't mention, but Dubrovnik is a popular cruise port, and they have gold filigree pieces that are very intricate and the prices are much cheaper than in Italy. It's in 14kt though and they don't do credit cards that much (and if they do accept it, it's a hefty premium).

I would hesitate to buy anything expensive in Turkey unless it was a guaranteed shop. We have a wonderful photograph of a shopkeeper proudly standing in front of his store with the prominent sign "GENUINE FAKE WATCHES". I used to be in the fine jewelry business. Shop keepers in Turkey will actually drag you into their shops from the street to sell "diamond" and "saphire" jewelry that is FAKE! FAKE!FAKE!:mad: I know a girl needs a souvenir. I bought a modest necklace and earrings set in Santorini. I probably paid too much, but the design was nice, and, like I said - a girl needs a souvenir. I was very impressed with the wonderful designs and craftmanship in Greece and Turkey, but the prices were not bargains. Many of the dealers are only there for the season, and go home to Italy, Athens, or New York the rest of the year. On the otherhand, handcrafts are super in Turkey and Greece. I bought my son a Turksih drum in the market at Kusadasi for about 45 euros, and it was appraised at $350 at a music store in DC. They actaully wanted to know where I got it! :D

Archived