Hurricane JOHN

mattR

Our information is that Ixtapa/Zih. suffered very little if any notable damage. The storm hasn't made it quite to Puerto Vallarta yet, but has moved further offshore and hurricane force winds are not expected to hit the city. 50 mph is likely to be tops, they say as of the last update. The same goes for Mazatlan. Of course, there will be lots of rain in these cities, but the winds and storm surge should not be that bad. Of course, the port is closed today, but hopefully will reopen tomorrow.

Cabo San Lucas is evacuating today, over 10,000 people. It's not looking good there. The storm is expected to hit there tomorrow morning. We're posting updates on our websites as we get them for Cabo and PV.

it's almost 1:30pm local time here and there has not been a breath of a breeze all day....so far......no rain either......there's still time, but it looks like we'll escape this one....fingers crossed.

greg

Here's the latest information we have, and it's sketchy, but I'll pass along what I have. To sum it up, except for Cabo, there is nothing to worry about - just another summer tropical storm in the tropics - no significant damage to any of the port towns except a little localized flooding in some areas. John stayed far enough offshore that only the far outer bands hit the shores. Business in the other ports is expected to pretty much return to normal today, and the sun is shining already in the lower parts of the coast.

Acapulco had some minor flooding but the sun is out now. The reports I'm hearing from the locals are that the news coverage was greatly exaggerated in their area.

Ixtapa also experienced some heavy rainfall, but winds were nothing to write home about.

Manzanillo experienced some local flooding and minor wind damage, but nothing major has been reported. Things are already getting back to normal.

Puerto Vallarta proper was pretty much spared anything - there was less than an inch of rain, and no wind to speak of. Business as usual is expected to resume today. Some of the coastal areas of Jalisco got some high winds and rain, but no significant damage is reported.

Mazatlan got some heavy rain but it was short-lived and no significant damage has been reported.

Cabo San Lucas is right in the path, and John has picked up intensity to a Category 3 hurricane overnight. 15,000 people are being evacuated. The outer bands of the storm have already come ashore - things don't look good. We're posting updates on our website there as they come in.

Hi Janice

From the news reports I saw Cabo appears for the most part to have been spared. John made landfall in a lightly populated area of the Eastern Baja......at least from what news reports I saw.

We've been reporting on TripAdvisor all through yesterday and this morning about the conditions in Cabo San Lucas - You can see the thread at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k774257-Cabo_at_the_moment-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

Los Cabos was spared - no significant damage to the resorts or tourist areas to report. Max winds were about 30-40mph and we saw no tidal surge at the marina throughout the storm. There was some surface flooding on the streets, but that's normal after a heavy rain. All is well in Cabo, as well as the rest of the ports in Mexico. Hotel guests have been invited back into their rooms this morning to continue their vacations.

From everything we hear, the reports in Acapulco and Manzanillo are that the news reporting is greatly exaggerated, as it tends to be. Contacts in those towns report that the sun is shining and life is back to normal. One of our people was in Mazatlan at the time of the storm, reported pretty good rainfall but minimal winds. No significant damage was reported there either. PV is running as normal, no winds, very little rain - no flights were even cancelled.

Johann & Sandra, I'd just like to express my appreciation for your reporting from Cabo San Lucas. I followed your posts on T.Advisor & also appreciated the photos & updates you provided on your website. Since we leave next Saturday on the Pride for PV, Mazatlan & Cabo San Lucas I was anxious to find first hand reports from locals such as you.

:)

My thanks to all who provided info.:cool: It looks like his house was spared and not much local flooding. The house is beachfront and the huricanes are a pain. The worst is that the hills slide, roads get washed out and it's very hard to get around.

Very thankful that they dodged a bullet this time. :D

Johann & Sandra, I'd just like to express my appreciation for your reporting from Cabo San Lucas. I followed your posts on T.Advisor & also appreciated the photos & updates you provided on your website. Since we leave next Saturday on the Pride for PV, Mazatlan & Cabo San Lucas I was anxious to find first hand reports from locals such as you.

:)

Thanks so much, Scampi - I really appreciate that you took the time to let us know. Just FYI, we've put up some post-hurricane photos of Cabo now if you're interested to see what it looks like Post-John.

Archived