Walkie Talkies

HoneyGV

Here is my thinking on why two adults might want to use them (not to keep track of replicants but just to keep in-touch):

1. I've grown very tired of SEARCHING for Christopher around the ship ... only to discover that he's been wandering the ship looking for me, too.

2. He NEVER checks the phone, or thinks to call the cabin to see if I'm there or to leave a message in case I come back.

3. THREE times, now, he has locked himself out of the cabin ... but if he had his WT he would have been able to call me to let him in.

From what I've seen, and from the experiences I've had of people SCREAMING at others through their WTs, I would be VERY discrete about using them and would never carry on a conversation over them (just find out the other's location and set point of intercept).

Awwwrighty then HoneyGV:eek:

Here's some codes for your walkie talkie use;) :

Ankle biter... Young Child

Back... Over(Back to you)

Back at ya... Answering

Big ten-four... Yes

Bleed over... Interference from another channel

Blowing my windows out... Strong signal

Catch a few Z's... Sleep

Catch you on the flip-flop... Speak to you on the return trip

Come back... Answer back

Come on... Answer back

Do you copy?... Can you here me?

Eighty eights... Love and kisses

Five and nine... Good strong signal

For sure... Definitely

Four on that... Yes

Give me a shout... Answer back

Handset... Walkie talkie

Hit the hay... Sleep

Little woman... Wife

Motor mouth... Walkie talkie user who talks too much

Negatory... No

One-eyed monster... Television

Ratchet jaw...Walkie talkie user who talks too much

Roger that... Yes

Rug Rats... Kids

Seat cover... Attractive woman

Ten Four... Yes,Ok,Roger etc.

Wall to wall and treetop tall... Good strong signal

You got a copy on me... Can you here me

ZZZZ's... Sleep time

ALLRIGHT!!!...and when I see a Rug Rat running around the ship when it shouldn't be I'll call in a Ten-Ninety-Eight!!! :D

Here is my thinking on why two adults might want to use them (not to keep track of replicants but just to keep in-touch):

1. I've grown very tired of SEARCHING for Christopher around the ship ... only to discover that he's been wandering the ship looking for me, too.

2. He NEVER checks the phone, or thinks to call the cabin to see if I'm there or to leave a message in case I come back.

3. THREE times, now, he has locked himself out of the cabin ... but if he had his WT he would have been able to call me to let him in.

From what I've seen, and from the experiences I've had of people SCREAMING at others through their WTs, I would be VERY discrete about using them and would never carry on a conversation over them (just find out the other's location and set point of intercept).

Exactly! Mine also has a vibration that I can use instead of the audible ring. I don't think adult to adult usage should be compared to people who have kids who use them. In the first place, parents seem to get more frantic when they can't locate their kids.

It's just like me using my cell in the grocery store. Sometimes when I stop in at the store, I'll discretely call my neighbor who's a shut-in and see if he needs something from the store while I'm there.

I'm considerate of those around me, and I don't believe ALL WT or cell phone users should be lumped in generally with everyone else.

Don't know if anyone's asked this question before or not.

I've seen people using Walkie Talkies onboard the ships I've been on...do they really work anywhere on the ship?

Just curious:confused:

They really do work anywhere on the ship. We've used them on quite a few cruises and they're part of our must-take items.

I find the entertainment potential in those who talk on the W/T. Specifically, if someone feels compelled to hold the conversation, within my earshot, well then, by golly, I might just listen in and hear what's cookin.

My personal favorite, and I mean this in the kindest of ways, are the folks that head to the Lido early and report back what's for breakfast. Some do the same routine, every morning, of every day.

Maybe I missed something, but there does not seem to be any surprises in the LIDO, for breakfast. They inch down the line and describe the sausage versus the bacon, crisp versus limp versus mystery meat... the texture of the oatmeal and so on. And oh my godness all hell-o breaks out in the Omelet line when describing what might be tossed in.

And for all I know, it's a dear soul trying to make breakfast come alive for someone who can't easily make it to the Lido. This is the juice of cruising.

What model Walkie-Talkie do you use? I didn't know they had "cheap-thrill" too, like my cell phone.

I just got them on sale at Walmart..Cobra Microtalk...supposed to get up to 12 miles. Of course, that's with a straight line with no obstructions, clear day, 80 degrees and no humidity...and every other seen or unseen possibility that could cut down the signal. Rechargeable batteries with a charger OR you can use 4 AA's for each one.

Clearance $54.00

I was just checking them out and sure enough when you hit the call button, it rings and vibrates, but you can set that...supposed to be 22 channels. I have NO idea how they'll be.

I don't know what the usual type is that most people buy, so I'm not sure if they'll work or not.

I also noticed that when I was onboard the ship on my last few cruises that they sell them either in the sundry shop or in the camera shop. Don't know what brand they are though.

Wonder if you can rent them onboard? Never thought of that.

Rats-hate em.

Wonder how many times a rat, who doesn't respond ends up saying, "well....I WAS trying to get back to you and we were out on the promenade deck and just as I was going to answer you, we hit a little bump in the water and ...over it went." ?

You know, you can get earpieces for the walkie talkies. We use them at wedding to coordinate people at insane affairs. No one can hear the color comentary except me!

Keep Smiling!!!:D

Oh, yeah, I forgot...mine came with earphones too.

Greg, I think I musta gotta good deal:D

I second that OceanLiner.

I'm around cells, walkie-talkies and every imaginable type of electronic device at work. When I'm on vacation, I cringe every time I see one.

Was relaxing by the Lido pool one day, when the beep and squelch of my neighbor's thing went off. His wife wanted to tell him about an item she just bought.

Just like an idiot behind the wheel on a cell has no clue about his surroundings, they went on and on and on. In the time it took for them to converse, one or the other could have just met and looked at the thing.

For kids I can see them, although most kids, IMO, would rather be left alone.

I think it would be nicer if adults just make plans to meet.

I just got them on sale at Walmart..Cobra Microtalk...supposed to get up to 12 miles. Of course, that's with a straight line with no obstructions, clear day, 80 degrees and no humidity...and every other seen or unseen possibility that could cut down the signal. Rechargeable batteries with a charger OR you can use 4 AA's for each one.

Clearance $54.00

I was just checking them out and sure enough when you hit the call button, it rings and vibrates, but you can set that...supposed to be 22 channels. I have NO idea how they'll be.

I don't know what the usual type is that most people buy, so I'm not sure if they'll work or not.

I also noticed that when I was onboard the ship on my last few cruises that they sell them either in the sundry shop or in the camera shop. Don't know what brand they are though.

Wonder if you can rent them onboard? Never thought of that.

Thanks, Honey, that's VERY helpful. We may well be getting a set to use on the Hawaii cruise.

My DH and I used to use walkie-talkies at flea markets or similar big events. I found the constant chatter from other people on the same channel to be very annoying. Never thought the thing was very useful, because we really couldn't hear each other if we talked softly, didn't want to scream into it. Plus, the batteries always gave out at the wrong time, leaving one or the other saying "I called but you didn't answer."

I just hate it when people assume that their cell phone or walkie talkie conversations couldn't possibly be bothering anyone and blithely chat on about all kinds of stuff for what seems like eternity. Sometimes, if I can't distract myself with a book or something I will get up and move. If I'm a captive audience, sometimes just for fun I assume a rapt expression, gaze directly at the cell-phone user and even add some comments of my own.:D

The parent CCL:NYSE , now is doing a CELLULAR Water event...:confused:

Wireless Customers, Including Those From Cingular and Other Carriers, Can Now Use Their Personal Cell Phones on Carnival Cruise Lines' 'Fun Ships'

New Fleetwide Cellular Service Allows Guests to Send and Receive Calls as Well as Transmit Text and Multimedia Messages

Cruising is oft-cited as the idyllic vacation choice for complete relaxation and escape. The lifestyle of today's consumer, however, often means that to truly relax and enjoy, people want an easy and convenient way to keep in touch with family, friends, or the office. What could be easier than using your own cell phone aboard ship the same as you can at home?

Through an exclusive agreement between Carnival Cruise Lines and Wireless Maritime Services (WMS), a joint venture of Cingular Wireless and Maritime Telecommunications Network, Carnival guests sailing aboard the "Fun Ships" can now enjoy a new communications option that allows them to stay in touch with people back home using their personal cell phones while in port or at sea.

"Consumers view cell phones as a necessity in today's world. We've been exploring cellular phone service for some time and have developed a capability that provides unparalleled connectivity and convenience to allow guests to keep in touch with friends, family members and business associates back home," said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

"WMS is excited to offer Carnival guests the opportunity to stay connected while cruising worldwide," said Leighton Carroll, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Wireless Maritime Services. "Whether making a voice call, responding to email, sending a picture message, or accessing the Internet to check on local happenings back home, what a great convenience for Carnival guests to enjoy the same features of their wireless service at sea as they would roaming on land."

Utilizing WMS' state-of-the-art high-bandwidth technology, the new fleetwide service is compatible with any cellular phone and enables guests sailing on Carnival to make and receive calls anywhere in the world from any cruising region. The technology is currently available aboard the Carnival Triumph, with the balance of the line's 21-vessel fleet scheduled to be completed by early next year.

The new fleetwide cellular phone service requires no additional software or special dialing procedures -- guests simply make and receive calls as well as transmit text and multimedia messages as they would on land using their personal cell phone. International roaming fees apply to all shipboard cell phone calls.

Consumer benefits to having wireless service while at sea:

* Connectivity -- keep in touch with family, friends and business associates through voice calls, email or text messages. Guests can also share travel highlights while at sea through photo messaging.

* Convenience -- no need to rent a local phone while at port; guests can be reached by the wireless number their friends and colleagues know.

In addition to being able to use their phones on Carnival "Fun Ships," Cingular customers can also enjoy competitive international roaming rates as well as a greater selection of quad-band devices than any other carrier.

For additional information on pricing, please visit http://www.cingular.com/cingularworld or http://www.cellularatsea.com .

:eek:

<HR>

Will it come on HAL now too ?

Just wait they will be talking in the chow lines too soon.

Well new regulations inthe dining halls have to be established as well other public area as well..

This I M H O is going to produce more revenues now in this Telecom Avenue...

We used them on the Westerdam during our day in Glacier Bay. We had a suite on one side of the ship, and my sister had a suite on the other. When we were both out on our balconies, we couldn't reach each other by phone if we saw something (like the many whales before we entered Glacier Bay). It was a great way to contact each other to hustle to the other side of the sip to take photos. Otherwise,we left them in our suitcases.

If I'm a captive audience, sometimes just for fun I assume a rapt expression, gaze directly at the cell-phone user and even add some comments of my own.:D

There is something about joining in on the conversation that appeals to me. Thanks for the idea.

If I'm a captive audience, sometimes just for fun I assume a rapt expression, gaze directly at the cell-phone user and even add some comments of my own.:D

hammybee's not the only one who likes the idea. I do, too! :)

If Greg's going to bring them on the Voyage of the Spammed he'd better be very careful with us around. :D

Originally Posted by the2ofus

If I'm a captive audience, sometimes just for fun I assume a rapt expression, gaze directly at the cell-phone user and even add some comments of my own. :D

Ah, a lady after my own heart. Sounds like something I might be tempted to do. :D

hammybee's not the only one who likes the idea. I do, too! :)

If Greg's going to bring them on the Voyage of the Spammed he'd better be very careful with us around. :D

But, Ruth dear ... you don't understand. The ONLY time I'd be using one is if I can't find Christopher around the ship or on a shore excursion ... Christopher can easily lose himself in a fabric store and I just can't find him (or he can lose ME in a book store!). I would NEVER use one in the dining room, or sitting in public in a lounge. I might go out into a hall and WHISPER into it to try and find him or let him know where I am, but that would be about the only way I'd use it. Certainly NEVER sitting at the table!!!!! I consider talking on Cell phones at the dinner table to be just shy of the ultimate HEIGHT of impropriety.

In most horror movies the monster comes from the sea. In this case, the monster is going to sea. Cell phones and walkie talkies at sea. I just do not understand the need for instant verbal gratifaction for every need that comes into someones head.

This entire thread defies the most basic tenent of cruising, to just relax. So what if you miss the whale on the port side, or the bannana pancake in the lido? Enjoy the moment instead of rushing around as if we are in a New York subway with a hull.

I really hope that HAL puts some sort of restriction on the use of these things or they can count me out.

So what if you miss the whale on the port side, or the bannana pancake in the lido? Enjoy the moment instead of rushing around as if we are in a New York subway with a hull.

I forgot. Tell me again which line carries the whales and banana pancakes. Thank you.:)

Archived