Who tries on all their outfits with accessories before you go?

monakayk

How did I miss this thread? Where was I?

Well... to the OP, yes you are a little obsessed...but you're organized!:D

I do try on the clothes with accessories and even make a list of how many formals / excursion outfits / hanging around by the pool / and lounging around the ship outfits I will need. But no tagging the items... sorry, never thought of that! I guess I am more of a spur of the moment type of gal that never knows what I am going to wear until I am getting dressed. It is nice to have a few options, though.

Jan~ congratulations on the weight loss!:)

There are only 2 formal nights on the cruise, but I'm going HAL and their alternative restaurant, Pinnacle Grill, indicates that formal attire is preferred....just another excuse to get yet another formal/ball gown. :D

Actually, that is incorrect. I was on HAL a few months ago and dined in Pinnacle 6 of 7 nights and most mornings for breakfast. The dress code, which was enforced in PG, followed the dress code of the rest of the ship for the evening. On casual nights, though, most of the women were dressed in cocktail attire and the men wore jackets.

Enjoy PG, it was the highlight of the cruise for us!

Funny how we all prep in our own way.

I am not a last minute planner nor an over planner...but I do have some basics that go on every cruise and since we travel a lot for pleasure I have the "vacation closet" so things that are musts are always there....

That would be me. I also have "cruise basics" that make clothing and accessory planning much easier. I've cruised enough now to know what works for me and what doesn't. I wish I had a separate closet for those things, but most of them are in one special section of my closet.

Linda,

I didn't realize you were cruising so soon!!! I am soooo jealous!! I went and got most of my new purses and jewelry on Saturday, I just love Sam Moon's!! I think I am almost set, just have one or two things left to pick up. And there was a great sale at the Haggar outlet in the same strip as Sam Moon's, so DH got the stuff that he needed too!! Have a great trip, and you will have to come and share your pics at the next meet!!

• 4 weeks later...

I love lists. I have certain colors that I like for mixing and matching depending on the cruise, so when I see appropriate pieces at good prices between cruises I pick them up and put them in my cruise/vacation closet (yes, I am lucky and have one). When I've booked our cruise, I pull up the list from my last cruise with the same weather type. Then I add anything new I have bought. Then I happily mix and match clothing and accessories for the cruise I am taking and decide what to pack. Finally, I try them all on and adjust my lists.

I get everything ready and pack the night before I leave.

I don't tag my clothes, but I do bring my list along. I do all my evening planning ahead , so I don't have to think about what I am wearing once on the cruise. I have planned outfits for days, but I decide on the day what to wear. I have been known to change my mind on the cruise about when to wear what, but generally I prefer just relaxing and wearing what I've planned.

I've found planning helps me cut down on how much I bring. It is also part of the fun of my vacation experience.

How far in advance are we talking?? Does trying on one's formal before your first cruise is even booked count? :confused: (Yes, I am that hopeless.....)

I am taking a cruise in January and when I booked in July I started my spread sheet. This is my 5th cruise and still use the system. Since it will be winter where I live and summer/spring in the Caribbean for the cruise, feel the need to do my shopping now for any clothing I may need. Since I am retired, plenty of casual wear, but formal is a work in progress. Have had a couple dry runs with DD and already started hanging items in spare bathroom. I have even planned on each suitcase. I am checking 2 bags, each with clothing for 3 days (1 formal in each) and my carry on which will have a first nite outfit, makeup and jewelry. The checked in bag will hold my liquids and gels, and all the clothes in that bag are washable. Even if one of my checked inbags gets delayed - or lost I can still get through the week. My daughter says I am anal - I say prepared

Of course I try it on. What I do is put all my outfits on my bed and the accessories and put the shoes on the floor next to the bed. I see if anything is not truely needed and if it can be eliminated. I add what needs to be added. I use space bags that you roll the air out of. I use dry cleaner bags for the formal wear. I use luggage with wheels. I bring along a cheap (kids style) watch if I am planning on going in the ocean on the cruise. We make sure it has an alarm clock in it because we play golf and want to be awake for tee times. I bring along a small clear zippered pouch on a keyring with a wristband attached. I use it for my shipboard pass/room key and when I am just going to the lobby or shops on board, it's all I take. I hope I've helped you with suggestions.

--Jo

Glad previous poster mentioned trying on his tux! Husband hasn't worn his in two years and though his weight has only changed about 5 or 6 lbs., at the age of fifty, it may have shifted! Bought it at Mens Warehouse and they do free alterations if you purchased the tux there. Guess this wkend. he'll try it on. I bought new shorts and shirts for our Dec. cruise early this summer and know they fit, but the two ball gowns I got last Jan. need to be taken in and I will have that done this month or early Nov. I tried those on for husband back when I got them and know what accessories will work. Pretty much, if I make a major purchase, like the gowns, I'll try them on for hubby when I get them. I hope I don't regret not making a "schedule" for what I'll be wearing when!

Archived