Ship-to-ship communication

TourDeCruise

We will be on the Century in just over 3 weeks, and a friend of ours will be on the Millennium at the same time. We will both be in Naples, Italy on the same day, so we plan to get together. If needed to firm up plans, what is the best way to communicate between the two ships without incurring a great expense such as satellite phone calls?

Would we be able to communicate between the 2 ships with the $2.00 an e-mail (for first 100K bytes) using our shipboard Outlook e-mail account? How is the e-mail id formatted? I think it is formatted with name, cabin number, and ship. We should be able to use the .75 per minute Internet service.

Is there a possibility that we could call each other's cabins once we are in Naples, just like we were calling someone on our own ship? Or get crew for the other ship to call the cabin when we're ready to go?

Maybe 2-way radios? Or if all else fails, waving at each other from the decks?

Please let me know if you have communicated from your ship to someone on another ship and what you found to be the best way(s).

Thanks! Kathy

I don't think you can call ship to ship without incurring some kind of rather expensive satellite connection. Remember, you just can't dial their room number, but you'll need to go via the special ship's international calling number. Do you both have cell phones with international service? That's an option that would be cheaper. Emails would work also.

You could simply use this thread as your communication link. Both can post at will from the internet room and finalize your plans that way. If you think you will need voice communication in port, simply buy a couple cheapie walkie talkies.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

You could simply use this thread as your communication link. Both can post at will from the internet room and finalize your plans that way. If you think you will need voice communication in port, simply buy a couple cheapie walkie talkies.

I second the above. If you both get Yahoo mail accounts, communication via e-mail is a snap. I don't know about the cheapo walkie talkies in Europe, but some that will carry for 2-4 miles cost about $40.00/pair here in the USA. We used ours from downtown Cozumel to the ship with no problem. They are a good thing to have just for that sort of thing regardless.

Dan & Judy

Thanks to all for the good ideas. I also had not thought of the yahoo account or international cell phone service. I don't have either, but the yahoo account is easy enough to get and I can check on the international service. Thanks, again.

Phil: I'll e-mail you.

Archived