Review: Vancouver, Island Princess Landtour, Denali & Fairbanks

irisheileen

Glitter Gulch update:

I found those business cards.

"RAPID EXPOSURE" is the one hour photo place and they are open 9A-9P 7 days a week.

Mile Post 238.6 Parks Hwy. 3/PO Box 322

Mailing Address is: Denali National Park, AK 99755-0322

BUB'S SUBS Homemade Sandwiches, Soups and Salads

Open 10A-10P

907.683.7827 (summer only)

907.768.1147 (home and winter)

bubandlynn@yahoo.com

Mailing address PO Box 3, Cantwell AK 99729

Both businesses were great to deal with!

Eileen

My name is Terry and my wife is Judy. We have booked the Diamond Princess for an August 7 cruise tour of Alaska starting in Fairbanks. We are thinking about flying on our own to Fairbanks a day early and stay in a hotel there. Any recommendations? We would like to be near walking points to good restaurants and sites.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry and Judy

My name is Terry and my wife is Judy. We have booked the Diamond Princess for an August 7 cruise tour of Alaska starting in Fairbanks. We are thinking about flying on our own to Fairbanks a day early and stay in a hotel there. Any recommendations? We would like to be near walking points to good restaurants and sites.

Terry and Judy

If you are coming in early, you need a car. Unless you are looking at the hotel resturants you are staying in, most is not walkable. It's a big spread out area with plenty of activites to consider. A car is the only reasonable way to get around timely, and make the most of a single short day. :)

BUB'S SUBS Homemade Sandwiches, Soups and Salads

sounds yummy right now! Must be because I'm starving!! Thank you for the posts--keep going please!

Terry and Judy

Are you only coming in a day early to be in Fairbanks? If so, I think it's a little far from the cruise.....but, I'm sure other people here know better than me.

Terry and Judy

If you are already booked with Princess, they have you set up with their own hotel or they'll place your entire cruisetour group at another property. We were put into the Bear Lodge, which we loved. How about just booking at the same hotel as Princess will have you? It would make it easier. Don't be surprised, though, if they switch you as the cruise approches.

Have you considered booking independently instead of the cruisetour so that you'll be completely in control?

Eileen

When we booked our cruisetour last year, Princess had us going by bus from Denali to Fairbanks. It was switched to traveling by train. My husband was glad as he is a big train buff. Princess is very organized and everything was done like clockwork. We never felt rushed, but we also had 2 nights Denali and 2 nights Fairbanks with plenty of spare time.

On out last day in Denali, we put our luggage on hold at the main lodge. We had a great breakfast at the main restaurant. It was pricey, but convienent-hey we're on vacation. There was a buffet, as I recall, but we ate off the menu. I had a delicious Eggs Benedict with crab on top! Very rich-be careful! I could only eat one of the two, so share!

We strolled around and took it easy and revisited Glitter Gulch. I got soup from BUB'S SUBS which was delicious. I think it was a hearty potato soup that apparently a local lady makes for the shop.

My husband and our friends indulged in Ice Cream that they said was good. Our friend rides a Harley and visited their shop.

There's a private tour operator shop there, but we didn't go in. There are posters inside some of the shops advertising for local music groups that are performing.

The inside of the Princess Lodge was very beautiful, but that was the only building that we were impressed with. There is a beautiful sweeping stone fireplace that was cozy to plop down in front of while waiting for our bus to the train station. Their gift shop had some nice things.

The bus took us on the short ride to the station, which is also very organized for boarding. I'll continue next post, as my computer is acting weird and I'm afraid I'll lose this post!

Eileen

• 3 weeks later...

Circumstances have prevented me from finishing this review until now...sorry.

ALASKAN RAILROAD DENALI-FAIRBANKS:

We were excited to continue our land portion-it's so nice to have 2 weeks on vacation! we're not often able to get that much time off, but it's WELL worth it when going to Alaska. We had done so much already, and because of my planning, we had so much to look forward to! I had envisioned each leg of the journey so many times, and we were constantly pleased with the end results.

Not so with this train trip to Fairbanks. The train itself was very comfortable, as before, but the personnel certainly DIDN'T match the quality of the train ride from Whittier-Denali. Our tour guide rattled on and on and seemed very pleased with himself. We weren't. In comparison to our young female guide before, he seemed to try to be more "clever" and made alot of stupid memorized jokes and commentaries on life and his wives. It was a late afternoon ride and our bartender was equally disappointing...if you could find him. I asked for a cup of coffee and never got it- I had to go get it myself after a long wait with no bartender in sight. We had to clean up our own table because he was nowhere to be found. We all wondered why the tour guide didn't pick up the slack.

PICTURES: Get your camera ready as you are leaving Denali, because that's where the best scenery will be found. You'll be able to get great pictures of the Glitter Gulch area fron the other side of the river. If you've stayed at a hotel along there, you'll have a great shot of it. There's cliffs along the RIGHT SIDE of the train tracks where DALL SHEEP apparently are often seen. We didn't see any on our trip here. There's also beautiful river shots and if you are in the back of the train, get ready for beautiful pics of the train engine ahead going over a bridge as it curves over the river.

The rest of the way there are alot of trees!

BEAR LODGE:

We were excited to arrive in Fairbanks and the BEAR LODGE. It's beautiful flowers were just what we needed to see. There was some sun out and 3 of us walked the grounds while my DH went to bed!! Check out the GAZEBO, it's cute. The interior of our room was spacious with a nice closet and bathroom. Our luggage was waiting for us, as promised. Princess is very organized. We had a dreadful view overlooking a roof! Oh well.

Three of us went to the little lounge and had beers and appetizers, which hit the spot. Prices were OK. The INTERNET is in here and was complimentary!

The beds were comfortable. There have an average breakfast buffet and the coffee was good as I remember. You may also order from the menu.

I had planned for us to rent a car and visit Ester Gold Camp for dinner on the last day, but we had dreadful rain and decided against it. Bear Lodge and Princess(stationed in the lobby) can get you shuttles and rides to local attractions. Bear Lodge has a free shuttle loop to all their locations and WalMart. One of their locations is in Fairbanks near downtown.

On site, we had planned to see the BIRD SANCTUARY and CREAMERY FIELD but the rain stopped us.

The FREE movies about Alaska and the talks by Iditerod contestants were very interesting. We highly recommend BEAR LODGE!

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since the last post. I popped back on the Alaskan board today (looking into a Caribbean Cruise!)and thought maybe my old Alaskan review might help some new researchers! So, I'm bumping it up.

Have fun!

Eileen

It's been a long time since the last post. I popped back on the Alaskan board today (looking into a Caribbean Cruise!)and thought maybe my old Alaskan review might help some new researchers! So, I'm bumping it up.

Have fun!

Eileen

Thanks for bumping this thread Eileen. We're on the Coral NB in June and can't wait!

Thanks for bumping this thread Eileen. We're on the Coral NB in June and can't wait!

After we got back from Alaska, last summer, we couldn't wait to plan our 2007 return! We want to go to the Kenai Peninsula, but do it "right", so we're pushing it off til a later date-now looking at these boards again..I want to go THIS summer!

Have the time of your lives!

Eileen

Another thanks for the bump, Eileen! It was great reading this when you returned from your trip, but some aspects of it are better understood rereading it now - as we're much closer to our own cruise and land trip. Having said that - maybe I should bump up the review of my Baltic cruise from 2005 for those who are doing it this year.

Another thanks for the bump, Eileen! It was great reading this when you returned from your trip, but some aspects of it are better understood rereading it now - as we're much closer to our own cruise and land trip. Having said that - maybe I should bump up the review of my Baltic cruise from 2005 for those who are doing it this year.

Nancy,

Oh my gosh...I was just reading your post on Host caroline's "landtour" post, and I was remembering how I liked reading your posts on the different options of your itinerary. Now I checked this post, and here you are!

You'll have to post your review upon your return.

Eileen

Nancy,

Oh my gosh...I was just reading your post on Host caroline's "landtour" post, and I was remembering how I liked reading your posts on the different options of your itinerary. Now I checked this post, and here you are!

You'll have to post your review upon your return.

Eileen

I'll definitely post a review when I return. I considered many "different options" for our land trip, but it was the port plans in Juneau and Skagway that have most recently changed since posting on Host Caroline's thread in January. Maybe someone will start a new thread in early May, before the first Alaska cruisers depart, about their final trip plans. Until then, I still have a good month or more to "tinker"! :D

I found the review of my July 2005 Baltic cruise and reread it. It's funny how many details I'd forgotten since then, so I'm glad I did a trip report. Someone else posted on that thread a few days ago and gave it a bump. I hope it will be as helpful to others planning a Baltic cruise as yours and others' Alaska trip reports have been to me.

Another thank you irisheileen! It was a wonderful review of a lot of things we hope to be doing during our cruisetour in May. Only 6 more weeks before we go and looks like I need to invest in a better camera & look for some binoculars:p .

Thanks again

Wow! I have been so hungry for the Alaskan trips to start so I could get more detail and this thread was just perfect. It's got me all excited again.

Eileen - Could you give detail about the paddle boat tour in Fairbanks? And more info on the Fairbanks area? Thank you so much.

Irisheileen, thank you for a wonderful review. We are from Nj and are about to go on our first Alaska cruise. We are going on the RCL Radiance. We begin our tour in Fairbanks, and are flying iin the day prior to see some of Fairbanks on our own. I read that the rain kept your fom renting a car, sorry to hear that. Can you tell us what you did do in Fairbanks?

thanks!

Radiance June 4th, 2007

I feel without the Fairbanks info, someone tore the last page out of the book. Please don't leave me in suspense! :eek:

Yeah, I dropped the ball on Fairbanks, didn't I!

Here goes (scratching head to help memory):

OK...I'm gonna have to pull out some stuff so that I can get the names etc correct!!!

Stay tuned, Eileen

Hey, just found WEDGEWOOD RESORT (Bear Lodge) Free Shuttle info. It runs daily from 4-8PM and makes a loop starting ON the hour 4, 5, 6, 8PM:

4PM from Wedgewood resort

4:15 UAF Museum of the North (907) 474.4992

4:25 Fred Meyer store Rx, clothing, spirits, groceries, film developing, deli etc

4:30 Sophie Station Hotel (near ZACH'S restaurant)

4:40 Pioneer Park

4:50 Bridgewater Hotel (heart of Downtown, along Chena River 1 block from Gambardella's Pasta Bella)

The hotel can also get you info on public transportation and taxis.

Wow! I have been so hungry for the Alaskan trips to start so I could get more detail and this thread was just perfect. It's got me all excited again.

Eileen - Could you give detail about the paddle boat tour in Fairbanks? And more info on the Fairbanks area? Thank you so much.

Shamrock,

Princess had us scheduled for the DISCOVERY RIVERBOAT in the morning and the EL DORADO GOLD MINE CAMP in the afternoon. As usual, everything was clockwork with Princess.

We really enjoyed the Riverboat. They have at least two that I know of and boarding was quick and efficient. Dont' worry about which deck to get on to... each is fine and nobody stays in the same seats for the whole excursion.

It's a family run business and we couldn't have been more impresed. Everybody from the Captain to the snack bar help is part of the family. They've hired the "host" from outside the family and he was wonderful! He gave SUCH a great talk and was witty, informative and had a great "DJ voice"!!

We passed some great (and not so great!) homes that are riverfront. Of course, he gave all the dirt, so to speak, on famous residents and visitors. Look for the hot tub contraption... it's a hoot.

Not in any chronological order, here are some of the highlights of the excursion that take place while you are moving along the river:

A demonstration of a plane taking off and landing.

A DOG SLEDDING demonstration right on the property of a famous Iditerod Champion. The speakers on land have microphones and discribe the process of how they raise their dogs and race them. We were shown a pack of puppies being trained. They demo'd the dogs taking off and racing pulling a 4 wheeler that had the motor out, I believe. A handler brings a dog onboard to see.

Reindeer feeding and our host giving interesting facts about them.

Some wildlife, such as Eagles.

As you travel, you'll pass, be passed by the sister Riverboat. I got some great shots of that Riverboat coming face on, sideways and leaving us. The wheels, of course are on the back end, and I took a bit of video with my camera that came out great! All you need is 20-30 sec of such stuff and I didn't take up too much memory.

Another example of great video "footage" was the FISHWHEEL! I had never heard of such a contraption! It appeared to be made of wood and the baskets of the wheel rotate into and out of the water to fish. Again, 20 sec is enough to get the gist of it.

Native women, on shore with microphones, demonstrating gutting Salmon and showing a smokehouse. We were going slow enough to catch all this.

The highlight, for me, was the recreated Village! It was raining but it didn't dampen my enthusiasm. (they have umbrellas for those who need them!) I was mesmorized by the LOG CABINS with the turf roofs!!!!!! They were the cutest things. The roof of each cabin was grass! It had wildflowers interspersed along with small ferns. Small chimmnies popped out. Get up close to examine them, it was fascinating.

Check out the original, old cabin that was moved to this location. Go inside to see the way a trapper really lived. There are pelts to see and a Beaver hat to try on! Yes, I tried it on and have the corny photo to prove it! I'm the photographer on vacations and not usually in the photo, but of course, I had to act dorky in one of the rare pics of me.

There is a pen of dogs to see.

Native women and children show off the MAGNIFICENT handmade fur coats in the back of one of the cabins. Don't miss it. They also come on board to get a very detailed talk on the process and history of the craft. I wasn't able to get pictures on board.(too many people in the way)... don't worry if you've got the pictures from the village. I forget which came first, the onboard visit or our visit to the village. I think it was onboard first.

There's a smokehouse to enter, also.

There is ample time to catch a snack, or to purchase salmon onboard.

I found a few great children's books, for my Grandson, about Alaska. There is a restroom onboard. There was time to shop in the large gift shop, on land, before we left.

We loved the Discovery Riverboat!

Next, the Pipeline and El Dorado Gold Camp which we also loved! "Dexter" was a hoot!

Eileen

Archived