Limo/Car Company/New York/Noordam .......

sail7seas

It's a miserable, rainy day here and no Labor Day barbeques in Boston today, so I'm gathering all my questions to ask here at CC........ DH is in the office so I have all this free time. :)

We are in the process of booking a car company to pick us up when we disembark Noordam and bring us to the airport. We always stay at least one day post cruise but have decided we don't feel like staying over in New York (we're going in early pre-cruise)........

For those of you who have booked car companies to pick you up after a cruise, how do you know what time to tell them to be there? We never know what time they will start disembarking guests. We're in an "S" so know we can be the first group off but don't know what time to tell the car company to come.

At most other port, we'd simply grab a taxi but I have read here a number of times that it isn't always easy getting a taxi at the New York Passenger Terminal. DH and I don't want to have to drag our luggage up a few blocks to try and hail a taxi. That is too strenuous for us as I 'don't travel light'. ;)

(We are not in a huge rush. We've booked an after 12 noon flight.)

You didn't mention which day of the week it is - and that could make a big difference. Weekend traffic is much easier than weekday.

Still, I'd think that booking for 9 AM would give you both time for breakfast as well as time to reach the airport (which airport, JFK or LaGuardia?)

S7S--

Have only booked cars to take us to the pier for that very reason - not knowing for certain what time we'd disembark.

However, there's not a shortage of cabs at the pier in NYC if you disembark late-ish. If you are able to disembark @ 9.30, that gives you 30 minutes to gather luggage and procure a porter (this is a team effort in NYC - you gather & guard the luggage while your DH stands in line for the porter) - into a cab at 10am puts you at Laguardia @ 10.30, through security by 11AM, and boarding at 11.40.

Sail, The limo co who provided us service to the cruiseport in July gave us their cell # so that when we disembarked the ship we could call them to pick us up. It worked great. Our only problem was the confusion of an upper and lower disembarkation area. It was our first time out of NY. It worked fine for us and would repeat the process if we ever cruise out of NY again.

We disembark on a Wednesday and are going to JFK......... Jet Blue to Boston.

Sandy Beach.....excellent idea. To call when we are leaving the ship....My luck, my Cingular cell wouldn't work. I've had trouble with it in Boston on both Noordam and Maasdam and in Black Falcon Terminal. Weird, I know. Three times I couldn't get 'service' so used someone else's phone and it worked fine.

Thanks, Brian and HI....

I know I have read here a few times that people had a problem getting a taxi at the terminal and had to lug their suitcases a few blocks to some intersection or other in order to hail a taxi. That isn't doable for us.

We'd be okay about disembarking at 9:30 or even 10...... Our flight isn't until (I think) about 1:15 or something like that. Don't have my flight schedule handy right now. (There is an earlier flight we'd try to catch if we get there early enough.)

sail, I've done both taxi and limo from NYC. Each has it's difficulties, but the difficulties with the limo are mostly for the driver. ;) The problem with the cab was on me with the somewhat organized chaos. I'd go with the limo.

The driver's problem was finding a place to park. The second time I had a limo he circled around several times before he drove off and parked a few blocks away. When he met me he took my bags outside and I waited there for him to bring the car around.

I suggest you pick a late-ish time of 9:30-10:00. I found it took me about 1/2 hour from the time I started off the ship until I was ready for the driver. He met up with me in an area after I had my luggage and was heading out; he was holding a sign with my name.

Thank you so much, Ruth. VERY helpful.

The company we are thinking of booking with is ICS International Chauferred Service but we are not committed to them. If someone has a tried and true (such as Ruth) company, I'd be happy to hear their recommendation.

Thanks, Ruth. I forgot you had mentioned that.

I think this company should be fine. It really isn't anything for me to get ver worked up about. We aren't pressed for time to catch a ridicuously early flight and if worse comes to worse, one of us will stand with the luggage and the other will go find a taxi wherever......

We disembark on a Wednesday and are going to JFK......... Jet Blue to Boston.

9:30 should be fine, and tell the limo co. to check ship arrivals. Just be sure there aren't any 5th avenue parades that day! I get stick on the wrong side of Fifth Ave. last fall (Columbus Day, I think) and had a taxi tour of parts of NYC I never knew existed before we found a way thru to a bridge to get to JFK! :)

I don;t know if this would be a possibility for you -- but we were also looking for transportation to New York and found a company called Limo-Liner -- they will pick you up in either Framingham of Boston--- I understand that it is a bus -- but has many amenities --- leather recliner seats - attendant on duty - full movie / DVD - mean served --- sounded pretty good - the cost is $79.00 per person - each way --- we originally called for a limo service and they quoted $1000.00 which is very expensive --- also if you drive to Framingham - you ca leave your car there at not charge - we will be on the October 25th sailing and will also be on the January 6th sailing --- we have not done this before -- but if it works out okay - we will also make arrangements for our January 6th sailing --- we did check the air fare on Jet Blue --- but I think that is arrangements is going to be less costly --- also checked the HIlton in New York where they drop you off and understand that it would only be a 20 minute drive to the pier ---- hope this is of some help to you -----

I don;t know if this would be a possibility for you -- but we were also looking for transportation to New York and found a company called Limo-Liner -- they will pick you up in either Framingham of Boston--- I understand that it is a bus -- but has many amenities --- leather recliner seats - attendant on duty - full movie / DVD - mean served --- sounded pretty good - the cost is $79.00 per person - each way --- we originally called for a limo service and they quoted $1000.00 which is very expensive --- also if you drive to Framingham - you ca leave your car there at not charge - we will be on the October 25th sailing and will also be on the January 6th sailing --- we have not done this before -- but if it works out okay - we will also make arrangements for our January 6th sailing --- we did check the air fare on Jet Blue --- but I think that is arrangements is going to be less costly --- also checked the HIlton in New York where they drop you off and understand that it would only be a 20 minute drive to the pier ---- hope this is of some help to you -----

Thank you for a great suggestion. Driving to Framingham would be inconvenient for us as it would be very early in the morning, I am sure. But, to go from Boston is very viable. We have already purchased our air tickets but might consider that in the future. I've made note of the company name .....just in case.

I also think it possible HAL may have a bus. I'm not sure but I think they used to for cruises out of New York.

S7S - you can always call Amex Plat. their concierge service can help you with arrangements.

Another excellent suggestion. Thank you.

Our TA is handling booking the car for us. I just didn't know what time everyone thought it best to tell the company to pick us up at the ship. One never knows what time we'll disembark. We aren't rushed and don't have an early flight; we're in a Suite so will be in the first group off. Should be okay.

Thank you

Thank you so much, Ruth. VERY helpful.

The company we are thinking of booking with is ICS International Chauferred Service but we are not committed to them. If someone has a tried and true (such as Ruth) company, I'd be happy to hear their recommendation.

DH and I are using http://www.nyairportservice.com/ for transportation from LGA to our NY hotel and then back to LGA. I do believe they provide private cars as well as shuttles. You might want to check out their sight.

Thanks, Mary.

My TA has arranged a private car pickup for us. This is a company she has used in the past and knows is dependable.

I think I posted the name of the company in an earlier message.

Archived