Which Ruins?

mumofsons

We are travelling on Legend of the Seas November 25th. I am wondering which ruins we should do Kohunlich in Costa Maya or Tulum in Cozumel. Really wanted to do Lamanai and the New River tour in Belize but web site for RCCL says that it is not offered for this week. Can anyone give me some insight. I don't like to venture out of taking excursions offered by anyone else - I have a deep fear of being left on the pier. Thanks

For what I understand Tulum is right on the ocean.

It is not in the jungle (like the others) To answer which one you should go to do the math first. How long (about) a ride is it to the runes?

Sometimes it is at least 2 hours one way.

Do you want an excurtion far or close to the ship?

May-be the following links might be of help........

Kohunlich

http://www.delange.org/Kohunlich/Kohunlich.htm

Tulum

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/4273/index1.htm

Tulum is pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing. It sits on a cliff a couple hundred feet above the water. Spectacular view. Takes about an hour to see it. Hire a guide if one is not provided. They all speak English. Trip from Coz is going to be at least 1.5 hours. Maybe 2 depending on which ferry you get on and how quickly the transfer in Playa del Carmen is on the the bus or whatever you go to Tulum in. It is about 40 miles from Playa to Tulum. The ruins are about 2 miles off the main road. Good roads all the way - just close your eyes when a two lane becomes a 3 lane!! Have fun.

Honestly, Make sure you bring insect repellant for Belize & Costa Rica, & bring along a long-sleeved thin cotton shirt if possible. Also one of those real tiny plastic battery operated fans that fit in the palm of your hand. I had one that hung on a lanyard around my neck. Everyone had so many bites and wished we had brought more. Tulum is more commercialized than the others and can be seen in less time. Have fun whatever you choose!

How much time do you have in Belize? We have been to Altun Ha and had a great time. As the previous poster said, take plenty on insect repellent and sunscreen. Be sure to carry some water, also. There are several ruins in Costa Maya. Check the port of calls section for more information about these areas.

Cruisin Dave

I will be on the Explorer on Dec 3 doing the Western Carribean itinerary. I called RCCL and asked about the Lamani excursion and they said that they are negotiating new contracts with many of the tour companies and to periodically check the website for the excursion as it might come back. I am going to wait another month before I book something else in Belize. We are also seing the ruins in Costa Maya with David & Ivan's excursion.

I will be on the Explorer on Dec 3 doing the Western Carribean itinerary. I called RCCL and asked about the Lamanai excursion and they said that they are negotiating new contracts with many of the tour companies and to periodically check the website for the excursion as it might come back. I am going to wait another month before I book something else in Belize. We are also seing the ruins in Costa Maya with David & Ivan's excursion.

Did both Lamanai in Belize and Chacchoben with David & Ivan in Costa

Maya last year. Both well worth the time and money. David & Ivan

tour was very personalized giving lots of info on the Mayan culture

and the area. We had Ivan who is of Mayan desent and lives in

the area, was the greatest. Took maybe 3 1/2 hours.

You can do this on your own very easily.

Lamanai is much more rustic and time consuming. Took almost 8 hours. Hope the excursion is given. This is an excellent tour.

If you want to see and understand Mayan ruins go with David and Ivan to Chaccoban. I did this tour last March and I can't say enough great things about the tour. I can't remember which tour guide it was david or Ivan, but which ever one he was he grew up on the ruins as a child and played right on the ruins. I believe he has a web site. Talk about knowing all about the ruins! I could have listened to him for another day. He had such insight. I will probably do the western carrebian with my husband in Jan of 07 and I am going to book this tour again for us.

PS I wish all tour guides were this good.

We've been to both Tulum & Kohunlich. They're both interesting, but we much preferred Kohunlich as you could walk into and climb on the ruins. The guide we had was excellent, but as it was a few years ago, we don't know if RCI still uses him.

We would go back to Kohunlich, but not Tulum.

The Dzibanche/Kohunlich tour out of Costa Maya is a long bus ride, but you can either doze or check out the Mexican countryside. The children run out to the road and wave and it's fun to see the little towns along the way. The ruins are amazing... still being excavated. Kohunlich made you feel like an extra in "Tomb Raider" with the trees sprouting out of the sides of the temples. If you go to Kohunlich, look for the upside down tree with another tree growing on top near the entrance.

Lamanai was fun. It's not well excavated yet as they had to abandon the excavation when the country became independent from England, but the showstopper is the big (famous) mask they have there. The little buffet lunch they serve when you arrive is well made by locals. Very tasty! There is about an hour bus ride from the port at Belize City to the dock on the New River and then 60-90 minutes on a boat to the ruins.

Tulum will definitely have more people. The little beaches down below are beautiful if you can stand the climb.

I do have pictures of all these ruins. I guess I should put my pictures in a Webshots album to share... anyone interested?

Archived