Best place to take a flight tours?

lucia1024

Hi

I was hoping that someone can give me some help in making a decision on where to take some kind of air excusion. I am planning on going to AL in June 2007. This will be a trip of a lifetime for me. I want to make the best of it. I want to take a helicopter or plane excursion, but don't know which port would be the best one to take one of these tours. I will be in Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan. Which port would I get the best scenary of AL in the air? Is there a big difference in taking a helicopter opposed to a plane tour?

I am planning on going in May or June any suggestions on what month is better? It is cheaper in May, but is the weather any different in May than June?

I would really appreciate any help and opinions.

Thanks!

Mid May through June is excellent timing for Alaska, I won't go earlier myself, iffy weather, and some attractions not fully running.

As for flightseeing, I've done plenty in Alaska, it's all worthwhile. If you aren't a frequent sightseeing flyer or don't have a lot of experience on small aircraft, I suggest you consider 2 flights, including a glacier helicopter landing out of Juneau or Skagway and a float plane out of Ketchikan. This gives a real good look at varied scenery with all the expanse and beauty of Alaska. Skimp elsewhere in your trip if short on funds- skip gifts for Christmas, birthdays etc. Do some overtime. It's the best use of my money in my opinion. :)

If u are going to take the floatplane....u have to go with Michelle in Ketchian...She is fantastic...she provides u with headsets and explains everything u are seeing as well as u can ask her questions...she is the ONLY plane to land on the lake in misty fjords and lets u get out to explore and make pictures...she has 29 years of flying experience...what more can i say....:rolleyes:

If u are going to take the floatplane....u have to go with Michelle in Ketchian...She is fantastic...she provides u with headsets and explains everything u are seeing as well as u can ask her questions...she is the ONLY plane to land on the lake in misty fjords and lets u get out to explore and make pictures...she has 29 years of flying experience...what more can i say....:rolleyes:

Sorry NOT true. There are other independents that lake land and allow you out of the aircraft in Misty Fjords.

I just got back from alaksa about 10 days ago and we did a small plane tour through paul from mountainflying.com He was awesome. I got great reviews from this site and I booked through them in skagway.He is very nice,I was scared and he was a great help. I would do it again.The views r unbelievable. Sarah

Sorry NOT true. There are other independents that lake land and allow you out of the aircraft in Misty Fjords.

I was speaking from what I have been told and what I experienced....I do know first-hand that u WILL NOT make a mistake by booking with Island Wings...

Just back from our cruise to alaska Did Island wings floatplane in Ketikan and Coastal glacier landing helicopter in Junuea. Michelle was nice the view was amazing landing on the lake was very cool but I have to say most people on board did get airsick including one lady who threw up, so that defiantly slanted the trip. Helicopter to the glacier was amazing my first time on a helicopter little scared but they were nice and the pilot explained everything. Coastal was well run we had some confusion as to where they were supposed to pick us up( I forgot the papers at home) so we found one of there pamphlets called and they just said stay where you are we will be right there( which was nice since we werent where we were supposed to be meet.) the views were amazing the glacier was incredible colors and fun to hike around on for a while. The only thing was I think they cut us a little short on time I never looked because I was so excited but when we got in the van on hte way back I looked at the time and it didi not add up?

So which should you do I would try to do both but for my money helicopter was the way to go!!!!!

We also did the helicopter flight with Coastal and it was amazing. It was raining all day in Juneau, but Coastal still was flying and it wasn't raining once we got to the glacier. As cool as walking on the glacier was though, I have to say the actual flight over the glacier was by far the best.

Hi:

I have to concur with several suggestions that were already mentioned. We were in Alaska in late June to mid July, and did a floatplane with Taquan (spelling?) in Ketchikan to see Misty Fjords. It was a fantastic trip. Visibility was really good, and we did the water landing and got to stand out on the pontoons. We had a helicopter flightsee planned for Juneau (Mendenhall), but it rained all day...not uncommon based on other posts I've read. Luckily, we were cruising north so rebooked a helicopter flight for Skagway ("Valley of the Glaciers") with Temco, I believe. Also incredible trip. Hiking on the glacier was so awesome.

I have no doubt that whatever you do will be well worth it. Go and enjoy.

Best,

three4rd

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all of your greats suggestions & experiences. It looks like a helicopter excursion is best in Juneau. I may think twice about a float plane excursion. My DH gets motion sickness easily. I am happy to hear that May/June is a good time of year.

Does anyone have suggestions on websites that I can visit for a helicopter tours? How much should these tours go for?

I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with me.

I will check back soon.

Thanks

We got back last week from Alaska. Great trip! Yes, it is all very expensive. We took Coastal Helicopters in Juneau for a glacier landing. (coastalhelicopters.com) and we also had a little shorter trip than expected, 45min for $190. We went later in afternoon, I think that is better. Many of the morning flights were cancelled due to weather but they did reschedule those people for the afternoon. We also did a floatplane/bear watching trip in ketchikan with sea wind aviation. Great trip too and very nice people, no seasickness. My only advice is that there is a time and a place for little children and floatplane/bear watching is not one of them. I recommend request no children on your flight, makes for a more enjoyable trip and at $300 a pop, you want to make it as enjoyable as possible.

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all of your greats suggestions & experiences. It looks like a helicopter excursion is best in Juneau. I may think twice about a float plane excursion. My DH gets motion sickness easily. I am happy to hear that May/June is a good time of year.

Does anyone have suggestions on websites that I can visit for a helicopter tours? How much should these tours go for?

I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with me.

I will check back soon.

Thanks

Helicopter companies, Juneau ERA- most often will not independent book, ship contractor, TEMSCO, Coastal. Northstar. Skagway- TEMSCO

I strongly suggest since you have someone prone to motion sickness to TAKE PRECAUTIONS the ENTIRE trip. I've seen plenty of sick people on the ship and there are no guarantees of smooth sailing. If you have a precaution lined up and in place, then you have protection for any touring you desire. Consult your health care professional for individual advice.

Archived