Worried about Navigator

satto

I've recently booked my honeymoon on the 4/23 Navigator sailing. I must admit I'm more excited about the cruise then the actual wedding.

I just started reading these boards and have discovered all of the warnings to avoid the cat. F suites.

We're in a Cat. F. (at least until I talk to my travel agent tomorrow to switch it)

Has anyone had a F suite and not been disappointed?

Is this vacation ruining?

We're in a Cat. F. (at least until I talk to my travel agent tomorrow to switch it)

Has anyone had a F suite and not been disappointed?

Is this vacation ruining?

Hi,

Congratulations on your wedding! I think you have selected a great honeymoon. The F cabins are as nice as the other cabins EXCEPT that they are in the back of the ship and there are vibration issues there. I have been on Navigator twice, both times on H cat., which have no balcony ( but also no vibration since they are towards the front).

It's good that you found out about this beforehand. I would be very surprised if your TA can't find you another cabin that is not at the back of the ship. From reading the boards, typically people that go on cabins at the back on Navigator usually complain about the vibration. I wouldn't risk it.

Hi,

We will be on the Navigator October 14 and I too, am a little worried about some of the threads here. Luckily, our cabin is far forward. However, a few things to remember that I keep telling myself:

1. I think most of the people on this board are passionate about cruising (that's a nicer word than fanatical), and have been on so many cruises that they notice when something is off much more easily than most people.

2. People tend to remember the negatives more than the positives.

3. You're never going to make everyone happy all the time.

I can remember being on the PG, which in my book was the all time perfect cruise that all others will be compared. And there was a woman who was going around saying the service she was receiving was terrible. When I questioned her about specifics, she said the worst was that she did not get a fresh bar of soap in her room each day.

As for the shore excursions, there is not a lot the cruise line can do, and no matter what, eventually you are bound to get a guide that is boring.

I'm trying to remember these things, and not worry too much; although, do try to switch cabins.

I think you'll be happy with a D cabin.

That itinerary is Funchal to Monte Carlo so I'll be disembarking when you embark unless I add that leg later. It's a great itinerary!

As far as the ship, the Navigator will undergo a lot of change before then. I would never discourage anyone from sailing this ship, especially on a port-intensive itinerary. Just be realistic that it probably won't be a 6-star experience (but still head and shoulders above the mass market ships). On the other hand you'll have plenty of personal attention, no hassles getting off or on the ship in port, even when you tender, and nothing is better than room service on the balcony overlooking a beautiful port.

JoAnne

Why do you think Navigator is not a 6 star experience.?

We are contemplating a back to back next summer on this ship ( we have been on Voyager twice) and I am worried about her. We didn't like the website description of the Portofino restaurant with community singing and dancing/singing waiters - it sounds more like Carnival - fine if that is your preference but not the quiet refined sort of experience we had on Voyager.

Also the reports of vibration in the aft areas alarm me.

Our alternative is Crystal, I 've visited the serenity which is a gorgeous ship but has small cabins and 2 seatings for dinner - will we be able to have a table for 2 and it isn't all inclusive.

Any advice from anyone?

Mickb

Thanks boatman. I'm not going to dwell on critique of the Navigator as it has been covered and re-covered in the other thread. However, as far as Portofino, it's hardly carnival atmosphere. If anything, it has been toned down too much. But it is not a refined experience either. The food is excellent, served almost family style. The music is enjoyable...Jerry is great!, but with some humorous content. The sing along is low-key, but maintains at least a little of the old Don Vito's atmosphere.

I haven't sailed Crystal, but I think it is safe to say that you will find the Navigator a more casual atmosphere than Crystal or the Voyager. If you are okay with that, then enjoy her for what she is without comparing her to the other ships and you'll have a good time.

Well, I hope they keep Portofino's toned down. It sounds great to me the way it is described now, but then I really didn't enjoy Don Vito's. A viable alternative dining room would be nice--it doesn't have to be totally refined, but guests wearing funny hats and playing spoons to accordion music was too much for me.

Update....

our fantastic travel agent bumped us up to a D class.

Can't wait to meet any fellow travelers.

Congratulations on the upgrade! We are going to be on the Navigator in December, so we are anxious to try her first hand. This will be our first Regent cruise after four straight Silversea cruises.

Wendy, toned down works for us as well. Looking forward to sailing with you and David.

If you like open seating, go with Regent. With Crystal you will have traditional dining and most likely be unable to get a table for two.

Not sure why you say that as they have a good number of tables for 2 in the dining room:confused:.

IME, I have been able to get a two top on any ship, any line, with a simple request.

Well, good point there Caviargirl. Our cruise on Crystal Symphony was 5 years ago and it was our first on that line so we had no status. We were tied into a large group table we weren't at all happy with. Also, at that time, I didn't know how far a nice tip upfront goes. I'm not saying that it's always necessary but it sure has helped on several occasions on other ships. As for Crystal food and service, it was absolutely super.

FYI, on the Navigator there are a very limited number of tables for two. Getting a table for two (sitting at a table for 4) is usually not a problem. The issue arises on a full ship with the later diners. The staff hopes that with the refurbishment that is about to happen the dining room is reconfigured to allow for more tables for two so that larger tables can be better utilized.

Archived