Advice on traveling with a handicap grandmother

JCOCO12

I'm planning to get married on a crusie and my grandmother has a difficult time walking, she uses a walker and a wheel chair. My concern comes when we dock at a port. We were planning to leave her on the ship because she can't walk around without help. I just wanted to know if there was any program on any ship that will watch her until we got back on the ship. A place that she can stay and they can watch her, help her to the bathroom and get food for her. Thanks

First, congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. I do not believe there is any "daycare program" for the elderly on cruise ships. Nor, do I believe the cruise ship will provide assistance with personal care. You may, therefore, in terms of your plan of leaving granny alone on board while you go ashore ask yourself these questions:

• As most modern cruise ships are huge, how well can she, with her walker or wheelchair, safely and independently navigate her way around the ship, use the elevators, get herself to the dinning room, washroom, cabin etc.?
  • As there is no assistance from the ships crew for personal care, can she safely and independently attend to any personal needs that may arise?
  • If she couldn't make her way from one point to another, would she be safe and content being parked in one place for several hours while you and your wedding guests are ashore? If so, you could park her in her wheelchair in a public area, such as in a shady spot by the pool, where she could ask a crew member to wheel her to the dinning room for lunch. This assumes she can and would ask for such assistance. Alternatively, you could leave her in her cabin and order room service for her. Would she be content and safe here?

If leaving her alone is not an option, perhaps members of your party could alternate staying with her. Alternatively, as she has a wheelchair and is somewhat ambulatory she may wish to join you and go ashore. She may like being "pushed around" by her grandchildren.

I am a disabled person. No, they will not do any personal care for her whatsoever. If you read the site of your cruise line in FAQ there is a disclaimer about the disabled. Most state that they should travel with someone who can care for them full time. Can she use a scooter, the small travel ones? If so rent one for on the ship and she can be more independent then you think. Also I hope you booked a Handicapped cabin for her as wheelchairs and scooters do not fit in normal cabins.In some ports she could actully get off and see a little area around the terminal and do some shopping. Since she can transfer perhaps you can go on a City tour with her in a cab or on a bus (she can stay on the bus and just see the area or you can push her wheelchair around for her.. Use a folding wheelchair for this. Your grandmother may surprize you.

Congratulations on the wedding. My daughter is getting married on 15 Oct on Freedom.

They will help her with getting food or drinks, but not with bathroom access, and will not push her wheelchair. If she can manage a scooter, I would recommend that. If she can safely transfer, she can use either the cabin bathroom or one of the accessible bathrooms. We sometimes leave my mother on-board, and the crew is always helpful with meal needs, and helping with heavy doors when they exist. I have given my mother a surprise spa package while we are gone and this often is nice (manicure, etc.).

I would second though trying to find a way to take her ashore with you. If she can transfer to a cab, take a manual wheelchair as well. She could go with other family members if you and your new spouse what some private time or what to do some activity in which she cannot participate...no reason the entire party has to do the same thing when ashore. You grandmother should be included as an equal member of the family...not just left behind because she has a mobility impairment.

Your grandmother should be included as an equal member of the family...not just left behind because she has a mobility impairment.

Splinter, my thoughts exactly! Thank you!

I dont know the extend of your grandmother's disability. However,

Just because she needs extra attention doesnt mean she shouldnt be able to go on shore and have fun with the rest of the family. I find it heartbreaking to pass her off to a "babysitter" just because she is disabled.

Are there other members of the family going on this cruise? Surely one of the family can help her. You don't mention her age or health issues. The cruise line will not let her sail if she doesn't have a caregiver. If she is healthy enough I see no reason why she couldn't go ashore with someone in the group being responsible for her. Can she walk but not for long distances? Can she take care of her personal needs? The crew will help her off the ship in her wheelchair. Although there are some excursions she may not be able to do, someone could take her on a bus tour or shop with her.

I travel as caregiver with family member who can only walk short distances. We tour everywhere together via manual foldup wheelchair. Easily folds up for vehicles, and has a big rear wheel for small obstacles and gaps. I encourage you to think about going for it and taking them along. We've had so many good times going around like this.

I am an energetic and enthusiastic wheelchair pusher, I just wish it had a running board to stand on the back after pushing it go to really fast. :)

The person I travel with also has bathroom issues and even those are so minor with practice and preparation. An extra depend undergarment, paper towels, plastic bag, and scrunched up spare item of clothing takes up hardly any space to carry with you. With practice it is nothing, nothing compared to the joy of travelling together as a family, instead of seeing them cooped up and drooling from understimulation.

I also have left them occasionally in the cabin with one other elderly person to do a morning tour myself, they want relax one morning and I want to snorkel. We do an early breakfast together, and I arrange for butler to bring lunch, returning myself in the early afternoon. I've done that a few times, mostly worked great, but one time the butler never showed up (luckily I returned early)... So whose fault is their situation ultimately? It is my fault, it doesn't matter who makes a mistake, I am responsible for what happens period.

Archived