Tipping ?s

St.Love

Thank you for your kind words. I'm no way a cheap skate but I can't see paying for soemthing that isn't asked for. Even if I get poor service I will still tip the 10.00 per day per person rule. I posted this because I was unsure how the tipping process works for babies and now I know thanks :)

After all these comments, don't you feel better now that you've asked? LOL ;)

We just got off of our cruise. We became very good friends with our head waiter. It sadened me to hear how many people take the tips off of their accounts and do not pay. But he told me what hurts him even more is when they say it is due to poor service, when in fact they just want to be cheap. It hurts him for promotion or any bonus's that he could recieve. I noticed on this cruise that people were just expecting to much. You are on vacation, but darn you are not royalty. They have these poor guys running like crazy. They do everything besides wiping your......... Just pay the minimum, but do not take away from these hard working people!

I do think that $10 per person per day is a fair amount for a tip. But how much does a cabin steward, waiter make a year on a cruise ship and do they pay any income tax and to what country? It don't really matter I will tip the standard amount plus any extra when service is very good.

There are 5 of us going next August on the Miracle, so if it is an 8 day cruise, it would be $50 a day for 5 of us X8 days=$400 for the week, is that right? That tip gets split up between the cabin steward and the 2 waiters, let me know if thats right.

There are 5 of us going next August on the Miracle, so if it is an 8 day cruise, it would be $50 a day for 5 of us X8 days=$400 for the week, is that right? That tip gets split up between the cabin steward and the 2 waiters, let me know if thats right.
Pretty much, you have the amount correct, but its not just for those three people, they in turn pay a portion of their tips to the housekeeping/laundry staff and the kitchen staff.

Just when I think I know how the tipping process works I hear another story that makes me wonder....

I know the rule of thumb is 10.00 per day per person but you don't have to pay that, right? I have a 1 year old that I can't see paying 10.00 per day for when he doesn't do anything. A friend of my dh's just got off a cruise with his young child and said he didn't tip for him and you can do that. Then I hear no they automatically take it off your CC on file?? Our kids are 8-6-3-1 so what do you think is fare for tipping?

Also he said that his friend was telling him some people don't tip :eek:

The correct amount to tip for the children is at least the minimum recommended, and you should probably add extra. In spite of what you think they are much more work for the staff than any (well almost any) "adult".

There is no benefit to the cruise employee to receive tips in cash versus from your sail&sign card. I won't comment on the ethics of waiters not properly reporting their income.:rolleyes:

Please remember that the income tax is an American thing. The ships are not registered in the US and unless the crews are US citizens they are not subject to US income tax laws, but are responsible for paying whatever taxes, if any that are required by their government.

We went on a cruise last sept and many time before that. They now do take the 10pp per day out on your Sail and sign card when you board the ship althought you can adjust that anytime you would like by going to the pursers desk and requesting to adjust it. I certainly don't think you need to pay for your 1 and 3 year old, maybe just pay for 4 people at the 10pp a day rate since that is the minimum you can book for in each room.

Please folks, just pay the ten dollars per day and let it go! Those who have sailed before know how hard these people work and how enjoyable they make your cruises and those who have never sailed before will soon learn just how hard these people work! Look at it this way, if you can afford to spend big bucks for a cruise, then you can afford the tips, and if you got a really good deal on your cruise, then you can afford the tips! Personally I would love to see Carnival make it manditory that tips were to be paid before cruising and that they could not be adjusted down, or just go ahead and add them to the price of the cruise. It's been a long time since I had a one or two year old, but I can still remember just the clean up of the high chair after each meal. I would love to know how many out there can honestly say they have had service that renders lowering the tips or taking them off completely! I daresay, no one has!

Drew's Wife I have received service that was so indifferent it should have warranted a reduction in tips, but I didn't do so. On the Paradise, the only time our waiter spoke with us was to take our order at the beginning of the meal and when he returned with the dessert menu. Otherwise, for four days he NEVER spoke a word to us. I am accustomed to some degree of banter, particularly after a port, how did you like Cozumel or something to that effect. The family dining with us mentioned it because it was so striking and said they had cruised I believe 4 or 5 times and were simply amazed. He took our orders, brought our food and that was it. Some might say that's all he needs to do, but we expected a tad bit more out of him.

Picklebongo,

Possibly your waiter could have been more congenial and friendly, but the question is did he do his job of serving you with correctness, dignty, promptness. He was your waiter, there to serve you, not to entertain you. Of course it is nice when people smile and laugh, but not everyone has the same personality, and I sometimes think that people automatically expect the staff to perform like circus monkeys, and that is so sad. We have been fortunate enough on our cruises to have top notch waiters, stewards, and maitred's, they have all been extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful in any way. I can only say that I hope our future cruises will be the same and that yours will be too.:)

Actually I don't expect to be entertained, but I do think it is surly and certainly very unusual for a waiter to never speak to the folks he's serving. I can't imagine, even at this site, anybody here would find this an acceptable norm. When I didn't consume one of the meals other than a small bite, it would have been great if he had queried just to ask if everything was acceptable or if we enjoyed the meal. Of course I could have spoken up, but I think a good waiter would ask. I'm not expecting to exchange family history, just basic cordial comments. My tablemates and I chuckled because the most animated we saw this guy was when he was dancing through the dining room. Oh well...like I said, we tipped him anyway, though he truly did not deserve it. I am totally convinced that since the tips are assured, for the most part, they don't have to exert themselves as much.

Your original post asked what was fair (fare). What does walking have to do with sleeping in a bed that needs to be made up, showering, making other messes in the room?? Should wheelchair bound people not have to tip?

Carnival gives you the option, but what is FAIR is a one year old still requires servicing from your cabin steward and many other, it is fair to reward for it. You asked, so please don't think people are being rude when they 100% disagree and provide examples as to why, with your logic...

I DON"T 100% disagree so don't include everyone in you numbers. Tipping for a one year old? Are you people nuts, it's an infant for gosh sakes. I read all the justifications cleaning the room he messes up etc., I think someone mentioned the baby takes showers LOL. The family is paying $50 per day for tips without the baby. And don't tell me if your not prepared to tip then don't take the cruise, thats bull and you who think that know it. I'm sure the crew is more than pleased to get the $350 this family will be dishing out in tips more than they will get from most. BTW before anyone asks I will be doing the 10/d and probably more if the service warrents. Concentrate on enjoying your vacation rather than worring about how much a one year old tips.....WOW

1) I don't believe it it necessary to tip according to Carnival's guide. I do believe it is a GUIDE.

2) It is up to me as the consumer to tip what I believe is affordable and deserved.

I am not ashamed to go to the desk at the end of my cruise to adjust down the tipping. Mind you I think THE GUIDE IS VERY CLOSE to what is deserved and what I WILL TIP!

We took an eight day cruise one year and decided to take the entire family plus one of our kid's friends. There were eight of us. The entire burden being on my myself and my husband. In this case I chose to downsize my tip. Instead of paying for 10 x 8 I chose to pay 10 X 6 (per day = $480.00) since my two youngest children were generally being tended to by myself.

It is also my policy not to be a slob in my cabin and to keep things generally picked up. At dinner my children are also tended to by me.

When my husband and I travel alone I strictly follow Carnival's guide as I believe the service is wonderful. Sometimes if we feel an employee had outdone themselves we go even a little more.

Being generous has never backfired for me.

Hope this helps!

1)

It is also my policy not to be a slob in my cabin and to keep things generally picked up.

Exactly! We never leave our room unless it is tidy and ready to vacuum and bathroom cleaned. We require nothing extra of our steward - not even ice for that smuggled booze others bring on so why do other cruisers slap money into the stewards hand before the cruise begins and says "take care of me and theres more" unless they need to be catered to alot.

The Miracle is a 7 night cruise and your total tip per person is $70. They don't charge you for the 8th day because they charge the new passenger for their first day on board.

No that is not correct. The Miracle is a 7 night cruise. You are charged $70 per person for the entire cruise. Carnival does not charge for the 8th day of debarkation because they charge the incoming passengers for that day. Therefore the total tip if 5 x 70 = $350.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder why the other lines feel that children under age 12 should be tipped at 50% less, that is also a guide Ive read from the other mass market lines.

I guess they also feel the parents do alot for thier kids as well.

I am rethinking this rule due to this time my kids age 2,6,9, will be in the cabin across the hall and I will feel obligated to tip the full amount.

When they all share the cabin with us I would use the other guide and I would of tipped for 4, but Dh always gives extra to those that wow him.

and again like the others have said, dh and I pick up after them, they are our responsibilty to clean up after, and or help at the dinner table.

How does carnival share the tips with the others like the buffet and kitchen housekkeeping etc, I think thats great.

No that is not correct. The Miracle is a 7 night cruise. You are charged $70 per person for the entire cruise. Carnival does not charge for the 8th day of debarkation because they charge the incoming passengers for that day. Therefore the total tip if 5 x 70 = $350.

That's not correct. The Miracle will be an 8 night cruise next August. So it is $10 x 8 = $80 X 50 = $400

Archived