Open Seating/Formal Nights

septemberman

That's my problem with BruceMuzz's win-win business.

Our MORE THAN PREFERRED table is upper level.....8:00 P.M.

We have never sat on the lower level and have no desire to start now.

We want to sit at the the same upper level table at 8:00 P.M. that we have sat at hundreds and hundreds of nights. (of course, it used to be 8:15).

Lisa.....We're sailing Noordam; a Vista with this new Win-Win dining. We have no desire to sit lower level there either and certainly don't wish to eat at 6:15 or 8:30 so I guess we Lose-Lose.

Sail, I understand and share (to some degree) your concerns. However, keep in mind that it's the upper level that will be Traditional dining (Bruce says he "thinks" such will be the case, but in truth we know that Bruce knows it to be true) -- and that they're going back to just 2 dining times ... meaning 8 pm or, perhaps, the old 8:15 pm, for the upper level.

As for ships ... from what I've read thus far, it sounds like this is simply a modification on the Oosterdam's current "Leisure Dining" scheme ... which is NOT in-place (at least, I haven't heard that it's in-place), currently, aboard the Noordam. Hence, I would hesitate in assuming that this is what will be in-place on the Noordam when you next board her. My guess is that it won't be in-place and you won't experience it any time soon until/unless you board the Oosterdam (something I HIGHLY recommend, by the way ... she's a wonderful ship, and her HMs I've sailed with have been SUPERB).

As for YOUR ability to make YOUR opinion known ... now now, my friend, you were THE Mariner Ambassador, representing ALL Mariners, at her Dedication Ceremony! You and your husband poured perfectly good champagne all over the Noordam's Bell! YOU, of ALL PEOPLE, have the ear HAL HQ. Write them a letter about this expressing your concern. I'm just a peon ... but they will listen to YOU. :) I'm serious.

I'll be sticking with "Traditional" the next time I'm aboard the Oosterdam (hopefully, sometime in 2007). :(

Greg, any more thought of the Oosterdam for March 17th 2007???:D Have you heard any more on if your other plans will need to be canceled for sure?

After March 17th we plan to return to the Oosterdam December 9th 2007. But that time of year will be very busy for you.

Greg, any more thought of the Oosterdam for March 17th 2007???:D Have you heard any more on if your other plans will need to be canceled for sure?

After March 17th we plan to return to the Oosterdam December 9th 2007. But that time of year will be very busy for you.

As of right now March 17th is out of the question.

HOWEVER, with the death of Bishop Moncure and the disarray that this has thrown us into here in Dallas, I'm faced with the prospect of having to change EVERYTHING for next April/May. I'll know more within the next few weeks. IF my being away in April and May becomes an impossibility, then March 17th MIGHT (I want to stress MIGHT) become possible. If the unthinkable happens and I'm on someone's nominations list for the Episcopacy, then all bets and all cruises are off. :( Another reason (among several dozen others) why I do NOT want to be a bishop. :D Thankfully, the chances of me ever being elected a Bishop are so SLIM that they're almost incalculable; let me put it this way: it's more likely that someone will get upgraded from a category NN inside cabin to the Penthouse Suite than it is that I'll EVER be elected Bishop. No Mitre for me. :p

Sail,

To the best of my knowledge, this new program will be only (at least for now) on Oosterdam.

Fixed Traditional Dining will be at 5:45 and 8:00 on the UPPER Level.

You said:

Our MORE THAN PREFERRED table is upper level.....8:00 P.M.

We have never sat on the lower level and have no desire to start now.

We want to sit at the the same upper level table at 8:00 P.M. that we have sat at hundreds and hundreds of nights. (of course, it used to be 8:15).

Lisa.....We're sailing Noordam; a Vista with this new Win-Win dining. We have no desire to sit lower level there either and certainly don't wish to eat at 6:15 or 8:30 so I guess we Lose-Lose.

Am I being dense here (good chance), or does this new program not give you exactly what you want - even though you will be sailing on a ship that doesn't offer it ????

I have read here on this Board that Noordam is going to the new dining program or has already started something other than is the system on all the other ships (except, of course, Oosterdam).

I also was told that the lower level would be the traditional dining and upper level would be the 'all plusses/no minuses' dining.

You certainly know better than me but I wasn't sure you were necessarily stating all of it the way it has been set out.

It matters a great deal to me that we dine at our table at 8:00 (or 8:15 if they return to that time). It impacts our enjoyment as much as most anything else could on a cruise.

There is no other 'organized activity' on a ship in which we participate. There are few things that matter this much to us about our cruises.

I don't even care if my steak is overcooked. It's only a meal. There'll be plenty more.

But I really care where we sit and at what time.

There......I've gotten it off my chest and have Vented!!!

Just as a thought ... my guess is that the practice of someone "just walk[ing] up to the lower level dining room any time and take the first available table" sounds like a recipe for lines, waiting, and flashing/vibrating pagers. The problem is the wording "first available" -- what if there aren't any available for 2 hours?

This is exactly what I don't like about "leisure dining." First of all, I doubt there will be long lines ... not if you are willing to be seated at a large table with another group. You'll probably be seated reasonably quick. The tables will "turn over" more quickly because dinner will no longer be a long, social occasion with tablemates you have gotten to know over the duration of the cruise. Rather, it will be similar to lunch or breakfast in the dining room ... "how you doing ... where you from ... where's my salad?" Then eat and be gone. And, maybe that's what HAL wants. Get 'em in and get 'em out. "Leisure dining" may very well achieve this goal.

I don't mind at all open dining during breakfast or lunch. If I choose to go to the dining room for those meals (I usually don't even eat lunch), then I am not looking for a two-hour meal experience. I want to get in, enjoy a meal, but get out reasonably quick too. There are activities I want to participate in and I don't want lunch or breakfast to become a long, drawn out affair. But when I go to dinner in the dining room, that represents a social occasion to me. It IS an activity as far as I'm concerned, and I want to enjoy it. "Leisure dining" is gonna destroy that in my opinion.

But, as with all things, I think it's gonna depend on what the majority wants. People today seem to enjoy a more flexible dining arrangement. NCL has a whole following who sail that line specifically because of the "freestyle" mode under which it operates. And I can understand the lure of "leisure dining" for families and groups traveling together. It gives them all the benefits of traditional dining (they still share the same table together), but adds the further benefit that they can be flexible in the time they show up in the dining room. But for the couples and the solos, this "leisure dining" is gonna be a pain in the you know what. You'll either have to stand in line and wait until a table for two becomes available (and possibly miss the show or anything else you wanted to do that night), or you'll have to "settle" for being herded to that big table for eight over there ... and have to get used to an entirely new set of dining companions every night.

I guess if all the ships in the fleet go "leisure dining" at some point, I'll probably have to either learn to live with it, or just try a different cruise line that still has the traditional style dining. I'd hate to have to leave HAL, though ... but I just might find myself with no choice.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sail,

It sounds as if this "As You Wish dining" / "Dining As You Wish" / whatever they plan to call it, was designed with you in mind. Perhaps you should consider changing your cruising plans from Noordam (where they currently have the "Leisure Dining"; early seating 5:30 - 6:00 / late seating 8:00 - 9:00 on both levels) over to Oosterdam, where you can "Dine As You Wish".

Bruce........

WHAT!!!!! US choose Oosterdam over Noordam???? Huh!!!

No offense; I am sure Oosterdam is a 'dam' fine ship, But Noordam is more than a little special to us. :)

Not to mention, we live in Boston and can board in New York. Not likely our preference would be to fly cross-country vs. a 40 minute flight.

I like the dining just fine the way it is. I'm happy folks at NCL think it is so terrific. Choices.....it's great to have choices and our choice would to keep things the way they are. Why does every cruise line have to do what every other is doing?

Sail,

Perhaps you should consider changing your cruising plans from Noordam (where they currently have the "Leisure Dining"; early seating 5:30 - 6:00 / late seating 8:00 - 9:00 on both levels) over to Oosterdam, where you can "Dine As You Wish".

If they currently have "Leisure Dining" on the Noordam, why are they still taking reservations for the four (4) seating times?

Sail,

It sounds as if this "As You Wish dining" / "Dining As You Wish" / whatever they plan to call it, was designed with you in mind. Perhaps you should consider changing your cruising plans from Noordam (where they currently have the "Leisure Dining"; early seating 5:30 - 6:00 / late seating 8:00 - 9:00 on both levels) over to Oosterdam, where you can "Dine As You Wish".

This sounds like the Leisure Dining system that I experienced on the Oosterdam this past January. I actually found it to be a non-issue ... yes, there was a 1 hour window for arrival at dinner rather than just 15 minutes, but the members of our table was there during those first 15 minutes every evening and, hence, there was no functional difference between this and "traditional" dining. Indeed, I found it MORE "traditional" than the 4 dining times that have been standard the past few years.

For someone like Sail -- who gets the same table for two on the upper level -- there is NO difference at all. She and her husband can eat at their assigned table at 8 pm every evening, no problem.

I got thinking about this as a lay in bed this morning between the time I hit the snooze on the alarm:)

Bruce, I think what upset Sail is that several weeks ago a new poster came on and stated that he was told about the "Dining as you Wish" and that the Lower Level would be the Traditional and the Upper Level would be the Open Seating. So I think Sail thought that this is the way it would be. I myself was thrilled at the time. I am guessing that the powers at be thought they would need the extra seating for the Dine as You Wish and decided to change that.

I do have a couple of questions as to how this might work. Will the "Dine As You Wish" be open to all passengers even those who are assigned Traditional? I know that currently on the Oosterdam Ship Board Cards it states your Dining Time and table. Will the card be stating that and or state you have "Dine as you Wish"? Will they be checking cards at the door? If some one is assigned Traditional Early will they be allowed to come and Dine say at 8 PM at the Open seating or will they be told they need to go to the Lido?

Also in my case where we will have a group all wanting to seat together this coming March will we be able to reserve tables 135 and 137 on the lower level for 6PM Every night at one time and not have to be doing it daily? Thanks again for your information, as Sail said Dining on our favorite ship is a very big part of why we like HAL. I have always loved the Oosterdam and of course also do not want things to change. I think it is human nature to be upset or fearful of the unknown, if we like what we are doing we don't want it to change.

Just as a cute side note, when discussing the new dining on the Oosterdam instead of calling it "Dine as you Wish" Tom is calling it the "Clothing Optional Dining":D

Bruce, I think what upset Sail is that several weeks ago a new poster came on and stated that he was told about the "Dining as you Wish" and that the Lower Level would be the Traditional and the Upper Level would be the Open Seating. So I think Sail thought that this is the way it would be. I myself was thrilled at the time. I am guessing that the powers at be thought they would need the extra seating for the Dine as You Wish and decided to change that.

YES, Lisa.........

That is exactly it. Thank you.

Archived