marriage certificate to get passport???

MamaParrotHead

In order to get my military dependent's ID, we had to show our marriage license so that is probably why it was accepted without the license. The military doesn't hand out dependent's cards without proof. You have to show a birth certificate for children and marriage license for spouses. Military pay is higher with dependent's so they verify. The easiest thing to do is just take everything you might need just in case when you apply.

Your birth certificate is only required to show proof of being a US citizen. For first timers getting a passport, you will also be showing your driver's license with the picture identifying you along with your current name. You would have brought your marriage certificate to get the name changed on your driver's license.

This past July, my Husband and I applied at the same time. I took my Birth Cert, ID and Marriage Cert with us. The clerk said I didn't need the Marriage Cert so I brought that back home with us.

6 weeks later my husband received his passport. That same day I received a letter stating that I needed to send in proof of identity because my Birth Cert didn't have my current last name on it. My passport took an additional 2 weeks to receive.

THe New Orleans Passport office processed our applications.

When I applied, I didn't know if it would be like a trip to the DMV (they always want something you don't have with you!) so I took along my marriage certificate. Good thing I did because she asked for it, even though my DL had both my married & maiden name on it as did my social security card.

I didn't know they kept your original documents, I guess I just thought they would make copies. Stupid ME! :o

A social security card?? Do I need that too?

For what reason?

Serene, from my experience, you should not need your SSC or your ML. (assuming you D/L has your current name on it!) I think some of the people are getting a hold of the 'dunderheads' that don't know any better. All I had for my passport was a Certified Copy of by BC and my current D/L (yes, with my current name). It's not to say you won't encounter a 'dunderhead' that wants more! BTW, we processed ours at the PO in Amarillo TX. The lady was VERY nice and pleasant to deal with.

We also applied for a Passport at the same time for my 8 yo DS. Both parents had to be present (my current DH) with a Certified Copy of his BC. We had to both sign a form saying we were his parents and all that stuff.

Cheryl, if I get Divorced again, I ain't remarrying! I think 3 is plenty! Besides, I kinda like the current one!

A social security card?? Do I need that too?

For what reason?

I didn't have to give it to them, the lady just wanted to see it. Said that the computers were cross-referenced just like the DMV. I was told that this is another way they catch people who have immigration issues or are in the county illegally. If my name hadn't been changed with the Social Security Admin. it would kick the passport application back to me.

To my surprise I got a letter in the mail today from our health insurance company. They are doing an audit of all employees, spouses and covered dependents and that I needed to provide them with certification of dependent status by sending in certified copies of our marriage certificate and birth certificates. I guess you never know who will require you to "prove" what you're telling them is the truth these days. (we've had same health insurance for over 15 years and I've been married 26 years to the same man!)

When I questioned the lady at the post office about my mc & bc, she explained that I would receive them back along with the passport. I said I hope that I don't need them for anything until it does. She looked at me like I was stupid and said, "what in the world would you need them for?"

Just goes to show that the Boy Scouts(or Girl Scouts) were right..Be Prepared!

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

My advice to anyone I know going to apply for a passport would be to gather the documentation this site states that you need, print out a list of those requirements from the website, and jot down the State Dept. Passport Customer Service phone number. If anyone hassles you or attempts to require you to have/obtain anything else, show them the list and have them call that Customer Service line to double check.

I'm thinking of going somewhere else other than the post office for my passport. I know we can go to our county courthouse, which has everything there that you need anyways, so I'm hoping this will be a decent decision with well informed people.

I'm thinking of going somewhere else other than the post office for my passport. I know we can go to our county courthouse, which has everything there that you need anyways, so I'm hoping this will be a decent decision with well informed people.

I did mine at the PO, but it's a designated Passport Office. That's all the lady does that did mine. You had to make an appointment, but it was not biggy. I know of someone that went to our County Courthouse and she had lots of trouble. #1 they lost her application in the mail between the county courthouse and the Passport office. #2. They let her submit a BC that was not a certified copy (not sure why??!). Here's ended up taking about 6 months to get!

Archived