Oh Boy Now what....Turkey

Muskoka

Have stateroom on hold for May 21/2007 Galaxie cruise Eastern Med and Greek Islands.....long port stops in Turkey.....recent bombings in Turkey......understand this is not the first time....happens in the summer to keep tourist away.....should we continue with our plans for 2007 or look for a different cruise?

In case of terrorism do cruise lines cancel cruises and give refunds? :confused:

X just changes ports, and honestly without sounding stern, ya take your chances booking anything that stops in Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt and some parts of Africa/Indonesia.

My wife and I leave for the Galaxy on Sept 25-06, not really knowing in our overniter in Istanbul or Kusadasi will still happen or we will be re-routed to Messina and Dubrovnick instead.

Those on Sept 4 had the ports dropped, just days before sailing.....

That's just the way it is.....

Again, without sounding 'stern', if you can't handle the wait until May, yes, you should re-book elsewhere, for peace of mind, or buy INSURANCE so you can cancel last minute, and get back 90%, etc...

Hope this helps...

jeff toronto

Galaxy Sept 25-06

I'm booked on the Galaxy 13 Oct 07 cruise, which also will go to Istanbul (overnighter) and Kusadasi. I won't change my plans if Celebrity skips these two ports. The other ports are great too. I'll be researching Messina on what to see/do just in case. I've been to Dubrovnik and love it. Of course, I would be very disappointed in not returning to Istanbul but I'll go with the flow.

Two years ago we planned a Galaxy B2B2B cruise, Transatlantic, Greek Islands, Istanbul. Istanbul was rermoved from the itinerary and we cancelled. Our friends (RMSeadog) added the third leg while on board because it included Croatia. We cruised back this year just for Istanbul. As long as you don't mind going back another year the islands of the Eastern Mediterranean are wonderful. It is my favorite cruise destination and I plan to go again. The one bonus might be lower prices...because of proximity to danger.

Since the word that Celebrity was skipping Istanbul for the time being, I have been looking for changes in the Online@Celebrity website.

The iteneray for the Galaxy was never changed, though, and it says it's in Istanbul.

Does anyone know where Galaxy REALLY is?

http://www.celebrityatsea.com/index.aspx?Value=9&Loc=CG2&SLoc=GL&ALocs=12

Since the word that Celebrity was skipping Istanbul for the time being, I have been looking for changes in the Online@Celebrity website.

The iteneray for the Galaxy was never changed, though, and it says it's in Istanbul.

Does anyone know where Galaxy REALLY is?

http://www.celebrityatsea.com/index.aspx?Value=9&Loc=CG2&SLoc=GL&ALocs=12

Wow, it could be anywhere from looking at that pic! But, it says Istanbul and I am optomistic that I am going to be going there.:D

I'm not sure where they are but I can guarantee that even though it says they are in Istanbul, they aren't. If you go back in the archives you will see that as they enter Istanbul the city can be seen all around the ship. When they docked today, nothing could be seen. It looks pretty desolate so I am even thinking it isn't Athens either. Pireaus would be much more crowded. Possibly Messina as it is not as busy a port?

May 2007 is still a long way away.

Thousand of european tourists are still on vacation right now in Turkey in various places.

Just wait and see what will or will not happen then.

Captain's Club does not know where Galaxy is but ships are allowed to return to Turkey starting tomorrow, I was told that the Turkish government had prevented ships from landing to safeguard tourists. Perhaps the itinerary was changed and Istanbul might happen yet????

We noted that the ship was still in dock at 7PM...so it should be Istanbul. That is an overnight stop. I don't think it looks like Athens at all. Pireas is a busy port.

It wasn't Istanbul either. It would have been dark already... at 7

Archived