Panama Canal...partial vs full transit?

jst4fun715

We are looking at doing a Panama Canal cruise in 2007. After doing some research and looking at lots of messages on these boards, I'm getting more confused!:confused: I know the full transit, you go through all the locks, get more time on the ship, etc. but then you have to deal with the one way airfares. On the other hand, if you do the partial and then want to see all of the locks, there seems to be an excursion you can do that takes you through the rest of the locks and then by train back to the ship. However, this seems to be a very expensive excursion....almost to the point that it would make up the difference in the cost of the full transit.

Anyone have any thoughts or inputs?:)

We are also looking into the same type of cruise, although I'm a little disappointed that our line of choice only offers three different options for the full-cruise experience. We went through the locks on the Yangtze last month and frankly I thought it was a little boring, but my DH was glued to a spot on deck for the entire event. Because of that, I know we will be doing a sail through as opposed to a partial. When I compared, the cost of the 'excursion,' it was actually more than it would be to just deal with the one-way fare booked through the cruise line.

This will be an interesting thread to keep an eye on.

Thanks for posting!

Charlie

If you can afford it, do the entire transit. In this case, the cruise line might offer the best air fare, but some airlines offer good deals on flights from two different cities. The two entrances into the Canal are so different. When I went (in 1999) we entered on the Pacific side at 6:30 a.m. and it was amazing seeing the sunrise while we were going under the Bridge of the Americas. I, personally, found the middle of the canal very interesting, with the jungle on both sides. You could hear the birds from the jungle. It gets very hot and humid but you can sit and have a drink inside the ship and watch the scenery from a window. You should also borrow a book or video from a library and read the history of the canal before you go. It will make you appreciate what the builders had to endure while building the canal. I plan to do this cruise again in the next five years as I enjoyed it so much. When I went, there were no excursions offered in Panama, but I note now that some cruise lines now offer them.

We have done the full transit 3 times and saw something different each time. Once from the Atlantic to the Pacific and twice from the Pacific to the Atlantic. We would do it again for the right price and ship.

Some advice - if you end the cruise in Acapulco, do not fly out the same day. It is absolute chaos. Plan on spending at least one night there and fly out the next day or two. It will keep your blood pressure down and will be a much more enjoyable experience.

Same applies if the ship leaves from Acapulco. Fly in at least a day early. The bus ride from the hotel to the dock is an experience, but still much better than getting through Mexican customs the day of the cruise.

We did the full transit from Florida to San Francisco and got a great air fare on Jet Blue because they offer one way fares. The cruise line also offer good air fares. We never did a partial transit but I would do the full transit again any time. It was definitely one of our best cruises.

Thanks to all for the replies. Actually the one I'm looking at would leave from San Diego and end in San Juan. I'll definitely check the airfare through the cruise lines too. I think my DH would really like the full transit and I would like 15 days on a ship!:D

PaulWN, did I see another post from you at one time that you were from Ohio...particularly the Dayton area? For some reason, that is sticking in my mind....and thanks for the info.

I agree avoid the Acapulco airport. And the two times I have toured the area by bus, I did not think that I wanted to stay there. Also one of these cruises that ended in Acapluco had an extremely large discount group sailing. The only way I know how to describe it briefly is - the deep discount cruisers acted like they were at McDonalds and the other cruisers like they were at a fine steakhouse. The deep discounters paid $400US for roundtrip from Acapulco 20 night cruise, the regular rate was around $1400 US for the one way 10 night Panama Canal Cruise. This happened at Christmas.

I have done the half and the full. The full is great for seeing the canal. The ports on the Pacific side going up to the US are Ok in my opinion. I think the ports on the gulf side are more interesting. But all together it is a wonderful cruise and part of the reason is just the pure length of the cruise. I love a longer cruise.

jst4fun - Yes, originally from the Dayton area. Grew up in Brookville in the 40s/50s, kept going east thru Trotwood, Englewood to south of Vandalia before retiring to Florida in 96.

Judy's ex-boss lives in Miamisburg and she worked in Monroe for a few years before we came south.

My DH and I flew from local airport (northwest Fl) to San Juan and got on the Serenade of the Seas cruiseship and sailed for 14 days, ending in San Diego and flying home from there. We went all the way through the canal and stopped at many ports along the way. Our ship was the largest cruise ship to sail through the locks at that time. I'm not sure about others now. We were actually only inches from the walls. My DH reached out and touched the wall (on deck 5 I believe.) He took hundreds and hundreds of pictures. He stayed out on the bow so long he looked like a lobster. We went and saw the cliff divers jump in Acapulco. That was awesome.

bc cruiser

Thanks for all the information everyone. I just now put a hold on a cabin for the Serenade for October of next year....and to top it off, I got one of my favorite aft cabins with the big balcony!! I am really a happy camper.:D

PaulWN, I thought I had remembered your name from a thread about Ohioans. I have at least 3 more years working at WPAFB before thinking of retiring, but there is beginnin to be some light at the end of the tunnel!

bc cruiser, I have to agree about the poor planning for your DH class...but then again, maybe they schedule it that way so everyone will stay in the class since no one would want to go outside.:p

Again...thanks everyone.

Archived