Is Luggage a Fashion Statement ?

KLLund

I just wanted to share .. I bought my son a really nice leather briefcase a couple of years ago on ebags and I was really happy with it but forgot where it came from .. I have been shopping for new luggage ( ours just needs to be retired ) and I came upon ebags again .. so I bought a 5 piece set that is distinctive enough to find easily on the carousel and a gorgeous Kenneth Cole roll around garmet bag in "silver" I would call it grey. They all arrived today and the quality is great the prices were way below what I could find in the stores ... so if you are luggage shopping do think about ebags . com

I've bought a few things from them. They are a reputable company, prompt delivery, easy returns if necessary. Their prices are not always the best, so I do shop around before I purchase through them.

They are a wonderful reference point and I use them quite a bit for comparison before I go to a luggage store. Their site is easy to navigate, which is a great feature many retailers just don't do as well.

I have bought successfully from ebags a few times. They frequently have sales so I wait for those. Lately, though, I have been doing the research for what I want on ebags and then shopping for it on eBay. One or the other usually has a discount if I wait it out. Also, if you shop eBay, check the completed listings because a lot of those luggage sellers put really low starting bids but have reserves (something that drives me crazy) and you have to look at completed sales to gauge what they will really sell them for.

HSN and QVC occassionally have really good deals on luggage sets that you can make easy payments on. Stay away from Joy Mangano luggage at HSN though. HSN is great, they have customer reviews so you can check those out before you buy.

The BEST luggage I've ever purchased by far is a collapsable large suitcase by a company called TUTTO. It's got the best wheels in the business & the darn things collapses to about 3.5 inches. easily slides under your bed. I bought one smaller size when at a nursing convention - they were an exhibitor & after lugging around 40lbs of freebies, I stumbled upon their booth & bought a collapsible "office" suitcase on the spot. Next vacation, I bought their largest version online. It's been through many vacations since & it's the one suitcase that's held up through all the wear & tear of the airline handling. It's the best investment I've made in baggage to date, & I'm probably going to go to their website right now & buy another for our 10/18 cruise since I already have too many clothes to pack!!

I just wanted to share .. I bought my son a really nice leather briefcase a couple of years ago on ebags and I was really happy with it but forgot where it came from .. I have been shopping for new luggage ( ours just needs to be retired ) and I came upon ebags again .. so I bought a 5 piece set that is distinctive enough to find easily on the carousel and a gorgeous Kenneth Cole roll around garmet bag in "silver" I would call it grey. They all arrived today and the quality is great the prices were way below what I could find in the stores ... so if you are luggage shopping do think about ebags . com

Now that you have posted the question I must answer it.

No, in my opinion luggage is not a fashion statement it is a statement of survival. It is used to transport by belongings hoping that they arrive at their destination in good condition. In my experience airlines and cruislines contest to see who can do the best job of ruining your luggage.:eek:

As far as I'm concerned, luggage is utilitarian. I don't think the expensive stuff gets handled any more gently than the inexpensive pieces. I figure if the baggage handlers see I've got really expensive looking luggage, they're also figuring I've got really expensive stuff inside, and it may be more prone to pilfering. With a $45 29" rolling suitcase in bright red, they're going to know there's nothing worth stealing inside!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

As far as I'm concerned, luggage is utilitarian. I don't think the expensive stuff gets handled any more gently than the inexpensive pieces. I figure if the baggage handlers see I've got really expensive looking luggage, they're also figuring I've got really expensive stuff inside, and it may be more prone to pilfering. With a $45 29" rolling suitcase in bright red, they're going to know there's nothing worth stealing inside!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Which is why we never bought Tumi or Hartmann.

I bought some really good quality luggage several years ago costing $$$ -guess what it only lasted a few trips, by then it was scuffed, tatty looking & had a broken zipper.

I now consider luggage to be almost a disposable commodity & accept it will have to be replaced every couple of years.

I just look for the lightest but sturdiest model I can find & keep my fingers crossed it will survive the journey intact.

Lol !!!!!

The title was a bit tongue in cheek ..... and hey I bought a 5 piece set for $103.99 I think it would be hard to find something cheaper !!!!!!!! Apparently the purple brocade was not everyone's cup of tea but it should be easy to spot on the carousal !!!!!!!!

I bought some really good quality luggage several years ago costing $$$ -guess what it only lasted a few trips, by then it was scuffed, tatty looking & had a broken zipper.

I now consider luggage to be almost a disposable commodity & accept it will have to be replaced every couple of years.

I just look for the lightest but sturdiest model I can find & keep my fingers crossed it will survive the journey intact.

Been there! We are pretty hard on our luggage, taking several trips per year and it goes through a lot and we stuff it silly. I finally gave up and bought luggage from Land's End. I guess it's not as expensive at Tumi, but it works for us. When my first $300 large suitcase from them developed a break in the decorative piping, I called them up and complained and they sent me a new one. They and LL Bean have a no-fail return policy. If something doesn't live up to your expectations (and they don't qualify "expectations") you just return it for a replacement, forever. I'm good with that. And my luggage has stayed in very good condition ever since.

Archived