Noordam -- Verandah ?

Jimjam

I am booked on the Noordam for a April 2007 cruise out of New York City in a VB Deluxe Verandah. Is this balcony covered, partially covered or exposed?? Will this balcony accommodate a lounge chair instead of regular chair???

Will be driving from South Jersey and will park at terminal..How does the parking work when you arrive? I assume you drop off your luggage than park. How far away is the parking area from the terminal?

Upon return, after getting your luggage, how far is it to get back to your car and come around to pick up luggage and companion?

I have cruised out of Baltimore and know how it works there but New York is New York.

Thanks in advance for any help to these questions..

I've never been on the Noordam, but I have been on her sister, the Oostersdam. I believe that the only uncovered verandas on the Vista class ships are the rear-facing cabins at the stern of the ship. I'm pretty sure that those are all VA or higher categories, though.

I also believe that, other than the rear-facing cabins, all the Vx categories have the same size verandas. Ours was a VF cateogory on deck 5. The veranda was the width of the cabin, and about four or five feet deep. That is, I could stand on the veranda and touch the railing with one hand and the exterior cabin wall with the other. The normal furniture consists of one or two chairs and a small-ish (perhaps 24 inches square) table. A lounge chair might fit, but nothing else (including your cabinmate) would. Besides, you'd have to drag one from the Promenade deck, through the hallways, and up the elevator to your cabin.

Sorry, I can't help with info about the New York terminal.

Paul Noble

Jimjam:

I am booked on the Noordam for a April 2007 cruise out of New York City in a VB Deluxe Verandah. Is this balcony covered, partially covered or exposed?? Will this balcony accommodate a lounge chair instead of regular chair???

Will be driving from South Jersey and will park at terminal..How does the parking work when you arrive? I assume you drop off your luggage than park. How far away is the parking area from the terminal?

Upon return, after getting your luggage, how far is it to get back to your car and come around to pick up luggage and companion?

I have cruised out of Baltimore and know how it works there but New York is New York.

r

Thanks in advance for any help to these questions.

Your choice of the hms Noordam IV is a wonderful one this newest HAL Ship is a wonderful addition and you will be amazed at what ease it has on the seas.

I guess your from NY as you still say, (South Jersey) that the NY way.. the VB are covered and nice to use.. the little tables are just that little...

having a lounge chair on the verandas is really not well as then you and the rest of your cabin guests would not have any room to walk stand and/or sit...

Parking at the New York Passenger Ship Terminal is varied in story as the two sites which list it contradict each other in even Credit Cards allowed or naught... http://www.nypst.com

Dropping your baggage off, first and your cruise companion is reccommended, to a LongShoreman (tip him) and they will move you luggage to be brought aboard her (hms Noordam IV) ... and your companion ill be able to fill in the Paperwork and forms waiting in line for you to return from depositing your motor vehicle... on the Parking Levels if you arrive early it is better for a nicer spot.

Over in New Jersey also there is a lot lower parking fees even taking over the ferry and getting a cab to the ship is dollar wise better and no Port Authority High TOLLs to pay..thats just minutes of the New Jersey Turnpike or just North of the Lincoln Tunnel I 495 NJ Rt 3...( which has the most vehicular volume in the World of any road ) a lot of Cruise Ship Passengers use this facility in NJ and take the Ferry ride over to the city then take the ship trip...

When yu get back from the cruise too, some municialities near the NJ Ferries ( Arthur Imperatores ) have the Low THREE Percent Sales tax... so yes another savings.. Jersey City, North Bergen etc.... even for history go to the park on top of the pallisades there where then VP Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton had there deadly duel... or Stevens Institute of Technology where a simple T Shirt made them change the name of the school... etc..

Jimjam, Paul answered your questions about the veranda quite well.

As far as parking goes, that's easy. The parking decks are part of the ship's terminal. You will drive up a ramp where you can off-load your luggage. Then continue up the ramp to adequate parking. For a Noordam cruise you will find it cheapest to pay the monthly rate---last reported at $180. There is an elevator down to check-in level.

Have a great time!

Archived