Can you eat lunch on embarkation day in the dining room?

a9753

Can't speak for the Diamond Princess, but on our recent cruise on the Regal Princess we stumbled on the dining room while looking for the buffet. The dining room was open and we had a great start to our cruise by eating there. This was about noon - I don't know how long they keep it open.

Most of the time - I have been able to eat in the dining room on the first day. You just need to go down and check to see if it is open. When it is - it is the best lunch menu of the week!

Hang on there Coral, dont leave us hanging like that. Now you have to give us some examples of what was on the menu. Karen

May 6,06 we were on the Island Princess and we were able to eat in the dinnining room. This was a repositioning cruise from Hawaii. Don't ask me what we ate but we enjoyed it. We flashed our card and the waiter sat us. We had heard that there is a dinning room open and we jusy explored and had a great lunch on our first day. We had asked a room moniter and she said no, the dinning rooms are closed. It is something that Princess does not want known. From now on we will eat in the dinning room on our first day, of couse we have to find which one it is.:) :)

On the Sapphire Princess, the International Dining room was open on embarkation day. I assume it will also be open on the Diamond Princess. Many times, the staff doesn't know it is open...so just walk there & see for yourself. The food is so much better in the dining room! Enjoy your cruise. ;)

Hang on there Coral, dont leave us hanging like that. Now you have to give us some examples of what was on the menu. Karen

There is a sliced beef tenderloin that is very good. There is also a pasta dish that day that I also order (but for the life of me, don't remember what kind).

I have about an 80% success rate with the dining room being open. Most tell me it is not open but I go down and it usually is.

do you know if the dining room will be open on the cb?

Zoe Girl - I was on the Caribbean Princess for two weeks in July. The dining room was closed on the day we embarked, but on the following Saturday it was open for a special party (travel agents). When the room steward left our card keys for the second week of the cruise, the information flyer left with the keys told us that we could eat in the dining room on Saturday while the other passengers were embarking. When my husband and I went there, it said that the dining room had a "private party" (for travel agents). We went in anyway (explained that we were passengers on week 2 of our cruise) and ended up being given the special menu they were serving the agents - Chateau Briand. If you would prefer to eat in the dining room -- give it a try. All they can do is turn you away. Happy sailing!

Most of the time - I have been able to eat in the dining room on the first day. You just need to go down and check to see if it is open. When it is - it is the best lunch menu of the week!

Been on Princess 38 times and very rare to find the dining room open for lunch. I think we have only been able to eat in the dining room for lunch 3 or 4 times. Not recently. Can't agree that if it is open it is the best lunch of the cruise. Sorry. Happy Cruising!

Been on Princess 38 times and very rare to find the dining room open for lunch. I think we have only been able to eat in the dining room for lunch 3 or 4 times. Not recently. Can't agree that if it is open it is the best lunch of the cruise. Sorry. Happy Cruising!

Well - since it sounds like you rarely eat in the dining room on the first day - I guess I am surprised that you are rating the meal. I ate on the Sapphire in May on the first day and previous to that, on my last several cruises before that.

While I have not cruised as much as you have - I by no means am a new Princess cruiser. The dining room has been open the majority of the time when I have sailed. Maybe it is my smile that is getting me in. I will take the dining room over the buffet any day.

Well - since it sounds like you rarely eat in the dining room on the first day - I guess I am surprised that you are rating the meal. I ate on the Sapphire in May on the first day and previous to that, on my last several cruises before that.

While I have not cruised as much as you have - I by no means am a new Princess cruiser. The dining room has been open the majority of the time when I have sailed. Maybe it is my smile that is getting me in. I will take the dining room over the buffet any day.

How many Princess cruises have you been on and how many times have you eaten in the dining room on the first day?

No, I am not rating the meal you ate on the Sapphire in May. I am just giving my own experiences and opinions.

I do not believe that just because you smile they open the dining room for you. I can see you now smiling at the closed door of the dining room and they open it just because you smiled. LOL

Happy Cruising!

While not scientific... the past few cruises I have been on .. a dining room was open for the 'back to back' cruisers. Supposedly ONLY!

Since B-B cruiser may not get off the ship in the port .. the cruise line opened up the dining room for their use.

It may vary based on the number of B-B cruisers onboard (like LAX-YVR to Alaska is not B-B possible) .. as well as staffing requirements.

Never hurts to EXPLORE! Forget about asking .. look for yourself!

I can't say for certain that the dining room was not open for lunch when we sailed on the Star (2002), Golden (2003), and Grand (2004) because we didn't embark the ship until 3PM or later.

On the Caribbean Princess, January 2005 and 2006, the dining room was definitely not open for lunch. We were onboard very early (noon) on both sailings, and cruise staff directed embarking passengers to Horizon Court for lunch.

Chris

On the Caribbean Princess, January 2005 and 2006, the dining room was definitely not open for lunch. We were onboard very early (noon) on both sailings, and cruise staff directed embarking passengers to Horizon Court for lunch.

Chris

I checked my Patter from our Caribbean Princess cruises and it only shows the Horizon Court, Cafe' Caribe, Trident Grill, Prego's Pizza, and Scoope Ice Cream Bar open from 12 Noon. Dinning rooms opened for Dinner at 5:30/6:00 pm.

Patter will never say that the Dining Room is open on Embarkation Day. And the staff will also always direct you to the buffer or grill. As mentioned by posters above, cruises that have many B2Bs or have special guests on embarkation day have the dining room open. /Sultan

I checked my Patter from our Caribbean Princess cruises and it only shows the Horizon Court, Cafe' Caribe, Trident Grill, Prego's Pizza, and Scoope Ice Cream Bar open from 12 Noon. Dinning rooms opened for Dinner at 5:30/6:00 pm.

It certainly happens sometimes..

Lunch served in the main dining room on embarkation day on Princess.

http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/01/005/6A/37/9A/BA/OmKZE3Py5ZpLJsgMgZb2tKmWDgLaqaa50300.jpg

WOW!!! I would say that beats anything the grill or Horizon Court has to offer!!

Karen

WOW!!! I would say that beats anything the grill or Horizon Court has to offer!!

I agree - that is the beef tenderloin dish that I like.

Asctony - I am not one that counts my cruises and knows exactly how many I have been on. I can tell you that I am Elite and started cruising Princess in 1999 so I have been on my fair share of cruises. I can say on all but 2 or 3 of them I haven't eaten in the dining room on embarkation day.

Princess employees always direct people to the Horizon Court and the Patters rarely say the dining room is open. I just go down there and have been seated.

Archived